Dealing with Cancer

Associate
This is such terrible news, cancer is so horrible. I have many relatives that have been effected by cancer one way or another. Lost both of my Grandmas to breast cancer.

I cant imagine the pain you went through when your Dad was suffering.

God bless you @movingtables and your Dad, RIP.

I regularly contribute to Cancer Research and suggest many do, to help support new treatments.

Soldato
OP
This is such terrible news, cancer is so horrible. I have many relatives that have been effected by cancer one way or another. Lost both of my Grandmas to breast cancer.

I cant imagine the pain you went through when your Dad was suffering.

God bless you @movingtables and your Dad, RIP.

I regularly contribute to Cancer Research and suggest many do, to help support new treatments.

Thanks m8 :)

Associate
Well my last chemo will be next thursday and thats the 6 months worth of ABVD gone quicker than i expected.
Doctors think that i am clear already going by earlier scans and all my blood tests (got more holes in me than swiss cheese) but... well ...you can never be sure.

Still i can take a lot from this, one thing more than anything though - Fight. Always fight it, right to the end if you have to but never give up.

Soldato
OP
Well my last chemo will be next thursday and thats the 6 months worth of ABVD gone quicker than i expected.
Doctors think that i am clear already going by earlier scans and all my blood tests (got more holes in me than swiss cheese) but... well ...you can never be sure.

Still i can take a lot from this, one thing more than anything though - Fight. Always fight it, right to the end if you have to but never give up.

Best of luck buddy !

Soldato
My Step brother has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. They first thought he had 5yrs to live, but due to the stage it's at now they've given him a max of 3. He's in his 40s, his daughters are 9 and 14. Can't imagine what that's like. We're trying to raise as much as possible to make that 3yrs turn to 6, as long as he can get the treatment he needs, but ultimately he is going to die and there is no way around that. I'm a bit numb to it really. It doesn't seem real. Really puts everything you do in life into perspective.

A friend was diagnosed in the spring. They have been in hospice for last 2-3 weeks and have been given 24 hours. She is also 40 and her 6 year old daughter was only told on Friday. Human instinct is to go in to denial right to the very end.

It's just so indescribably cruel.

Man of Honour
Well things have progressed slightly with my mum. My brother, my mum and I went to Devon a few weeks ago. We always went to Devon, Cornwall or Wales for family holidays as kids in the 1970's. We had a lot of very happy memories there. So we took her there again to rekindle old memories. We had a fantastic time and managed to get probably the last summer weekend of the year. I couldn't ask for more. It was great. But she wasn't so good while there and has deteriorated a little since coming home. She's been having a lot of stomach pain recently and they think she may have an ulcer, although the new tumors in her stomach and liver are probably the main reason. She has another set of chemo starting next week and she'll have several more over the next six months.

But I've been here before in 2002 with my father and his lung cancer. It was a similar time of year and his progression was similar. He went in the spring the following year so I'm expecting a similar timeline for my mum, although we really don't know. It could be months or it could be years. I'm expecting months and am prepared for that. If it's years then that's a bonus. I'm an older man in my 50's so I've seen life. I've seen death. I've seen illness. I've held my fathers hand as he died. I've had children, seen new life come into being, and hidden my own cancer from them (a long time ago - now cured). But watching my mum in pain and knowing that she knows it will only get worse is not great. I'd call that sub-optimal I think.

It's been a brutal year. My mum's partner died of a heart attack. He was a lovely man. He treated her well in her last years and for that I am grateful. His death was unexpected by all at a time when everyone was worried about her. Sitting in the funeral directors with my mum arranging his funeral and making adjustments to hers, with her sitting there, was a bit grim if I'm honest. I can't think of a more suitable word than grim. My wife's mum died of the same cause shortly after. Now watching my mum in pain getting weaker is again... sub optimal at best.

Soldato
My grandads, uncles, and brother all had cancer. It took my grandads and uncles but my brother beat it.

Such a horrible thing.

Really hope one day there is a cure, or at least less brutal treatment in of itself.

Man of Honour
Sadly my mum passed away this morning. She was taken into hospital about a month ago with a chest infection. We were hoping she would recover for a while to see spring. But with cancer, COPD and finally pneumonia she gradually declined further and further.

She had a lot of family around her the last few days and my brother and I slept in chairs at her side for the last few days. She knew she was never alone. She died this morning with my brother and I holding her hands and hugging her. The hospital nurses have been incredibly kind throughout.

Smoking related cancer has taken my dad (17 years ago) and now my mum in the most horrible way. Along with my mums partner dying unexpectedly earlier in the year, and my mother in law a few months ago, it has been an awful year. Too many funerals.

Hold those you love close to you.

Soldato
OP
Sadly my mum passed away this morning. She was taken into hospital about a month ago with a chest infection. We were hoping she would recover for a while to see spring. But with cancer, COPD and finally pneumonia she gradually declined further and further.

She had a lot of family around her the last few days and my brother and I slept in chairs at her side for the last few days. She knew she was never alone. She died this morning with my brother and I holding her hands and hugging her. The hospital nurses have been incredibly kind throughout.

Smoking related cancer has taken my dad (17 years ago) and now my mum in the most horrible way. Along with my mums partner dying unexpectedly earlier in the year, and my mother in law a few months ago, it has been an awful year. Too many funerals.

Ah hades I'm sorry to hear this.
I honestly do know how you feel bud.

Soldato
Always on my mind more coming up to Christmas.

Miss my dad a lot, 2 years have passed now for me, hasn't gotten much easier but I think I've just grew stronger and more able to deal with it.

Soldato

I'm so sorry :( Sat at work reading this post and I'm tearing up.

I lost my mum back in 2007 to cancer and while it does get easier, the pain of loosing a parent in this way is nothing short of heartbreaking.

Sorry mate :(

Soldato

Sorry for your loss Hades. I lost mum 5 years ago to COPD/pneumonia. It's cliche but you never get over it, but living with it does get easier. Remember all the good times. I swear Mum lets me know she's still around once in a while. That comforts and works for me. Thoughts with you and your family at this sad time.

Man of Honour
Sorry for your loss Hades. I lost mum 5 years ago to COPD/pneumonia. It's cliche but you never get over it, but living with it does get easier. Remember all the good times. I swear Mum lets me know she's still around once in a while. That comforts and works for me. Thoughts with you and your family at this sad time.
Thank you.

Soldato
Sorry to post such sad news at this time of year... Had a phone call this morning to say my Gramps passed away this morning (early hours) he's been battling through the last 5/6 months, he had a tumour in his bladder that was so big it blocked the tube, he also had prostate problems which were causing him so much pain.. The doctor told us last week he wouldn't see more than 3 days but here we are a week later saying goodbye to him, We spent the last few days getting him comfortable at home where he wanted to be and had my Dad and my nan by his side this morning... I don't really know what to do and feel quite useless :(

Caporegime
Sorry to post such sad news at this time of year... Had a phone call this morning to say my Gramps passed away this morning (early hours) he's been battling through the last 5/6 months, he had a tumour in his bladder that was so big it blocked the tube, he also had prostate problems which were causing him so much pain.. The doctor told us last week he wouldn't see more than 3 days but here we are a week later saying goodbye to him, We spent the last few days getting him comfortable at home where he wanted to be and had my Dad and my nan by his side this morning... I don't really know what to do and feel quite useless :(
My condolences mate.

Back
Top Bottom