How much have you spent on a fun car before you felt bad

Soldato
Porsche 911 - 15-20k, owner nearly 5 years but the mods were pretty much pointless now looking back.

I bought an Evo 8 new, back in the day. Spent a fortune on planned upgrades, tuning and a leather/alcantara interior and other bits all within the first few months of owning it. 10-15k perhaps. Did it make it a nicer car to drive? Nope. Did I waste all that money? Yup (accept the new interior). Was all a bit pointless but I couldn't see it at the time.

Now and then I get this tunnel vision and that's when I blow/waste good money and feel bad later. I did it again returning an E39 M5 to pristine condition. Funny thing was I enjoyed doing this more than I enjoyed just driving the car afterwards. Sold it for silly money in the end (too cheap). I think I'm cured of this now, until the next time.

Soldato
Seems daft so spend that sort of money on some German barge money pit like an M5. If you want something like that just spend the extra 15k on a daily driver and enjoy it every day.

Personally, if I was buying a second fun car, it would be something properly impractical but fun, Atom, Caterham, TVR, Lotus. Even some daft american muscle car.

Soldato
I'm similar.

I've an interview on Monday for a job which is ~5 miles away, compared to ~25 miles at present

Given we have my wifes car for day to day activities and i could run to work if needed, i'm thinking this could be the time to swap my car for something fun and a Chimaera is high up on my list. Economy and reliability aren't too much of a worry in that instance.

If you do explore it further stick a thread up :)

@Marvt74 still interested? I put a deposit down on a Chimaera 450 this week :o

I'll post up in due course and tag you if so :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm by no means an expert, but would consider myself well informed and going into this with eyes open so far as possible.

Associate
Why would you feel bad?

For me, it wasn't a car that took up an insane amount of money, but a wedding. Buyer's remorse... sometimes, yeah. Most of the time I get to look at my purchase and enjoy it, though... the loud noises, shoddy performance and the monthly maintenance costs only bother me occasionally.

sorry have had a drink but were you talking about the wedding or a car?:)

Soldato
@Marvt74 still interested? I put a deposit down on a Chimaera 450 this week :o

I'll post up in due course and tag you if so :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm by no means an expert, but would consider myself well informed and going into this with eyes open so far as possible.

You lucky git.

It’s a long way off for me at the minute. We keep debating changing cars but then always think of something else we’d rather spend the money on.
Certainly tag me in any posts though. It might give me a push!

Soldato
OP
Hey my thread appeared

Been thinking about this recently again, still not bought a car, will probably never buy a car. Still hankering after a W124 Coupé as I've ruled out an 8 series / £15k as too much financial risk.

My circumstances have changed a bit so it wouldn't be a weekend car, it would be "my" car. Commuting for me 1 or 2 days a week and the car we go longer distances in. So definitely not a Caterham!
- Comfy
- Not slow
- Low tech old school quality / luxury rather than screens everywhere
- interesting and in my opinion in good taste.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ew&onesearchad=Used&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&page=1
Been for sale for months and months (price not budged), the interior looks worse the longer you look at it; can't work out if the paint is great or terrible

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1251920
has more miles than pixels so no idea about the condition.

See you next year when I still haven't bought a car!

Associate
My circumstances have changed a bit so it wouldn't be a weekend car, it would be "my" car. Commuting for me 1 or 2 days a week and the car we go longer distances in. So definitely not a Caterham!
- Comfy
- Not slow
- Low tech old school quality / luxury rather than screens everywhere
- interesting and in my opinion in good taste.
See you next year when I still haven't bought a car!

Look at the JDM versions of those mercs maybe? Lexus sc300, Toyota Chaser, etc?

Associate
im probably about 10k into my MK2 Golf, i have stopped using garages now and do all the work myself including an engine rebuild.

i would say its hopefully 99% there now, i will never sell it so that is stopping me feeling to bad!

Soldato
While probably not a good idea to spend all your savings there is an argument for using a decent chunk for something you'll get joy out of, you're getting nothing for your money sat in the bank so why not have the money sat on your driveway in something you can enjoy. If you're lucky it'll make you some money over several years just make sure you choose something which doesn't have ruinous potential.

My dad did that a year or so back after he retired, instead of having the cash sat in the bank doing nothing he bought an old series landrover, he's very handy with the spanners so he could only make money on it long term and he gets the pleasure of using it in the mean time.

Soldato
I bought an old Elise for a price you couldnt get one for now. Regretted it at first, but it was in the middle of winter and it needed a few things fixing. As soon as spring came along, omg so good. I decided to never sell it.

Back
Top Bottom