Kids and computers any Pro advice from parents

Soldato
I can only see spending time on Minecraft to be a positive thing, it's how kids play these days, no one told me I was spending too much time playing with Lego when I was 6

Associate
OP
Go Raspi.

They've got a laptop already for playing Minecraft so use their love of the game to broaden their knowledge.

Minecraft Pi allows coding to be used with Python and they can interact and alter the Minecraft world via code. Once they are good at his, there are hundreds if not thousands of Python tutorials out there, such as "Python for kids".

You've used something they love to introduce something new, then they've got the tools to expand on that something new freely available online.

Thanks I will have a look,.I don't know anything about code and I was pants at it in the 1980's!

Associate
OP
I can only see spending time on Minecraft to be a positive thing, it's how kids play these days, no one told me I was spending too much time playing with Lego when I was 6

It is virtual Lego.

I like to see them playing it too. I have dipped into it and I can understand the appeal. It is amazing.

Soldato
Without being that parent, an hour a day for a 6 year old on Minecraft sounds like a lot of gaming screen time. How does the 8 year old manage that, plus school, plus homework?

Jesus people really need to unclench over this stuff. If a child is active, doing well at school, playing out and wants to play age appropriate video games for 60 minutes so what?

When I was a growing child / teen, I was only allowed 30 minutes per day on the computer. No TV for me.

My sister on the other hand was allowed 90 minutes per day on the TV. No computer for her.

I never found out why I got 30 minutes screen time and she had 90...

Associate
OP
May I revive this. Christmas PC build for 8 year old. Had a look at setting them up a profile on:
Wordpress blog
Code academy

They are interested in making movies - I know Windows 10 image Ap that can do this.

Had a look at GIMP for photos.

Any suggestions for free software and good free or cheap intelligent games like L of L would be appreciated.

They have Mincraft on x-box - will the PC version interest them?

Best pod

Back
Top Bottom