• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Open Up Support for Adaptive-sync/FreeSync for Future Native G-sync Module Screens

Soldato
Straight off the bat, it's future screens, but Nv are getting there, soon it'll be any gpu any monitor=VRR.

NVIDIA confirmed for us that future G-sync module screens can be capable of supporting both HDMI-VRR and adaptive-sync for HDMI and DisplayPort, as the XB273 X’s specs had suggested. A firmware update is being made to the v1 and v2 G-sync hardware modules for future use which allows these new features.

That means that in the future a display featuring an NVIDIA G-sync module could work with compatible games consoles for HDMI-VRR. It could also work with any graphics card based on the adaptive-sync standard over HDMI and DisplayPort. This means that you would be able to use a Native G-sync screen (with module) from an AMD graphics card for VRR! So if you have an AMD graphics card, you could still enjoy the VRR experience and other additional benefits that the G-sync module brings even from a Native G-sync screen, which was previously out of reach to those users.

This new firmware is being used now for future Native G-sync screens, and the Acer Predator XB273 X is the first we’ve seen advertised with these new features. We confirmed with NVIDIA that it will NOT be possible to update firmware to any existing Native G-sync screen, or request updates to allow your current G-sync screen to be updated so that it would work with AMD graphics cards. The new firmware will only be applied to future G-sync module displays.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/n...sync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

Soldato
Anyone know if freesync works via hdmi yet with the Nvidia cards?

Basically I have gtx 1080 and saumsung 55 qled tv and wanna use freesync.

Soldato
Anyone know if freesync works via hdmi yet with the Nvidia cards?

Basically I have gtx 1080 and saumsung 55 qled tv and wanna use freesync.

Not Freesync, VRR/Gsync yes.

Firstly, you need a 2019 or newer Nvidia GPU to use VRR/Gsync over HDMI, your 1080 is too old.

Secondly, Samsung only supports Freesync at present - so from other people's experiences, when you try to enable Gsync via HDMI connected to a Samsung QLED the screen becomes full of artifacts. It's up to Samsung to release a firmware update that allows it to work with VRR/Gsync. I believe next year's Samsung TV's should have this feature out of the box, they cannot only support Freesync going forward.

Soldato

Firstly, you need a 2019 or newer Nvidia GPU to use VRR/Gsync over HDMI, your 1080 is too old.

Secondly, Samsung only supports Freesync at present - so from other people's experiences, when you try to enable Gsync via HDMI connected to a Samsung QLED the screen becomes full of artifacts. It's up to Samsung to release a firmware update that allows it to work with VRR/Gsync. I believe next year's Samsung TV's should have this feature out of the box, they cannot only support Freesync going forward.

My 1070 runs Gsync on my laptop to my AOC 32" freesync monitor via HDMi

Soldato
Nvidia cheated with laptop graphics cards. The gsync is actually adaptivesync. Which is why people figured out the whole gsync thing was snake oil.

bru

bru

Soldato
Nvidia cheated with laptop graphics cards. The gsync is actually adaptivesync. Which is why people figured out the whole gsync thing was snake oil.

So how does that equate to them cheating?.....Where does it say that you must have a module to have GSync?

Soldato
So how does that equate to them cheating?.....Where does it say that you must have a module to have GSync?

That's what they were peddling for years, when people were having to spent an extra £100+ on a monitor with gsync support.

Only recently they have flicked the switch to allow freesync/adaptivesync support now that gsync is dying...

Permabanned
G-Sync is not dying apart from the Sync on laptops for years that has nothing to do with AMD/Nvidia who gave you it first on a PC?

At the end of the day cost aside G-Sync is better and not just the range.

Soldato

Yeah I was hoping it would start working with the new Nvidia updates but tried today and still couldn't get option for gsync with my tv.

I might grab a 5700xt on black Friday.

Soldato
No update to previous gsync screens, disappointing.. but doesn't bother me too much as Nvidia have been ahead with their higher end cards for a while, so don't have an issue in going with them.

Since it's just a firmware update you'd think it would be easy enough to hack it to update?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's what they were peddling for years, when people were having to spent an extra £100+ on a monitor with gsync support.

Only recently they have flicked the switch to allow freesync/adaptivesync support now that gsync is dying...

Not just snake oil - G-Sync is a ground up implementation of an adaptive sync tech which supports or implements better several features that are currently lacking in FreeSync such as adaptive variable overdrive, better implementation for handling low framerates (as the current adaptive sync implementation has to misused the panel self refresh feature) and when Microsoft don't break it in Windows 10 better support for windowed modes.

Laptops implement it through the eDP standard which was possible due to the way laptop displays are more directly driven without the older scaler issues. Traditional monitors needed as a minimum firmware updates and some hardware tweaks to the scaler to make it work which until the success of G-Sync there was very little interest from the monitor manufacturers to do.

Associate

ITS DEAD :rolleyes::p

bru

bru

Soldato
People keep joking about it being dead, but NVidia are doing all they can to ensure the name lives on for a long time, even though the module is definitely living on its last legs.

Associate

That's not correct. What Nvidia have done is enable support for the industry standard HDMI 2.1 VRR feature which is not Free/Adaptivesync (see how far you get with a AMD card and the standard supporting 2019 LG OLED's). Those are AMD propriatory extensions to HDMI and not compatible with said industry standard. Hopefully AMD will get on board and support these industry standards rather then lock people down to their limited lock in implimentation.

Soldato

Wrong, and no point in explaining it to you, if you don't understand it by now you never will

Back
Top Bottom