5G? Worth It?

Soldato
5G will just end up re-using the current 3G/4G frequency bands for rural coverage the same way 4G is now using the old 900MHz 2G band. Really old telco types will remember this being used for TACS/ETACS, the original analog 1G service.

3G with dual frequency high speed data in the downlink direction would have been enough for the 99% of mobile users who don’t need crazy DL or UL speeds. Not very efficient frequency spectrum or base station power utilisation though, hence the introduction of 4G which is actually a less complex interface than 3G.

With the channel aggregation in both uplink and downlink directions available in 4G, it should be enough for everyone, but the marketing idiots have drank the 5G Kool-Aid that Huawei have been mixing up for the last few years and now the networks are spending more money they don’t have on a service that customers don’t need.

Soldato
I'm sure if you live in the middle of London you will have 5G now but the rest of us it's years away. When 3G came out in 2003 we didn't get it in my town until 2007/2008. And 4G not until 2016.

Associate
5G won't hit us up north for years properly. I'll hit the cities and the probably 3 years, maybe 5 hit wider. My old man near Beverley (near Hull) hasn't even got fibre in their village yet...

Associate
For my usage, no, it's not worth it. In fact, I sometimes even have 4G disabled and use 3G because the coverage is better and I still stream Spotify and sometimes Netflix and Sky Go.

Same, using Smarty which piggy back from Three. 3G giving faster download speeds than 4G. However 4G has faster upload speed.

Back
Top Bottom