• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AM4 or AM5?

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Partly, I could do with my GPU tbh as on a 4k monitor, however having been on that for 5 years I would currently rather go 1440p/144hz if I was to upgrade now.

Going from there though a full new system seems sensible rather than upgrade item by item at this stage, and so going on that view might as well wait so that don't feel like missing out on what appears to be a pretty solid change that will last similar amount of time with possibly only GPU upgrades for a number of years then.

1440p 144hz is definitely the sweet spot when it comes to gaming monitors so its definitely worth a shout

Associate
What you also need to consider is Intel traditionally switch out the motherboard with every CPU generation.
Isn't it usually every two generations?
Although it depends whether you consider their last 3 or 4 actually to be new generations. ;)
But before the 14nm stagnation it was every 2 usually but people love to exaggerate Intel's platform compatibility or lack of it for some reason.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Although it depends whether you consider their last 3 or 4 actually to be new generations. ;)
But before the 14nm stagnation it was every 2 usually but people love to exaggerate Intel's platform compatibility or lack of it for some reason.

Yeah believe it is every 2 gen's, but the fact its on the same architecture is what makes it stupid. No reason to change the mobo's when you're still on 14nm

Associate
I'm considering a new build myself and currently trying to decide to whether to jump on AM4 or wait. Especially if it could be be on DDR5

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
I'm considering a new build myself and currently trying to decide to whether to jump on AM4 or wait. Especially if it could be be on DDR5

Depends on your current specs and how much you really need to upgrade

Soldato
It actually works out to be 50/50 if you look back at the LGA 115x family.

Lynnfield needed a new board
Sandy needed a new board, Ivy could work on most Sandy boards with a BIOS update
Haswell needed a new board, Haswell Refresh and Devil's Canyon could work on most Haswell boards with a BIOS update
Broadwell needed the Haswell Refresh and Devil's Canyon boards
Skylake needed a new board
Kaby needed a new board
Coffee Lake needed a new board
9000 series Coffee Lake refresh almost needed a new board.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
I have waited so long now that zen3 (I assume AM5) simore likely to be purchased by me now. Gonna be hell of an upgrade lol.

Zen3 is still on AM4, but its likely the last. Zen4 onwards will be on AM5

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Thanks for clarification sir! Will be AM4 for sure then with my next chip. Defo not waiting this long again

Good shout! Zen3 looks to be amazing as it is so you definitely can't go wrong buying one of those chips. I will probably do the same as well, buy a decent enough zen3 chip to use with my b450 board, and then a few years down the line I will do the full upgrade to AM5 with DDR5, Pcie 5, 5nm process

Soldato
Why not just buy a 3600? Sell it off when the last chips on AM4 come out, and buy one of those during Summer.

I have a 1600.. I feel (yes feeling isn't reality), that 6 core to 6 core is it enough of an upgrade. 2700x was seriously tempting, but again, it is prob only about 3600 level anyway right? (Any chip I buy will bad down to my daughter anyway rather than sell).

Given how much the latest AM4 boards are, I wouldn't expect AM5 to be cheap either. AM5 is clearly way too far out.

I think that it is great we are having real choices again. In some weird reversal... Price wise I have considered Intel again as well as they have had their hand forced.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
I have a 1600.. I feel (yes feeling isn't reality), that 6 core to 6 core is it enough of an upgrade. 2700x was seriously tempting, but again, it is prob only about 3600 level anyway right? (Any chip I buy will bad down to my daughter anyway rather than sell).

Given how much the latest AM4 boards are, I wouldn't expect AM5 to be cheap either. AM5 is clearly way too far out.

I think that it is great we are having real choices again. In some weird reversal... Price wise I have considered Intel again as well as they have had their hand forced.

Your feelings are wrong on this one... The Sheer IPC gain even from zen+ to zen2 made the 3600 perform better than the 2700x in most scenarios that I saw..

If you are jumping 2 generations from the 1600 to a 3600, it will be a huge upgrade

Soldato
If thinking about just gaming though the newer chips are much better than the earlier ones, you can see minimums improved a lot in many games, still not quite on par with Intel in overall gaming performance but they seem to be a lot closer now.

Wonder how much better the 4000 series will be for games. Going to be interesting when more stuff starts leaking about them.

Soldato
If thinking about just gaming though the newer chips are much better than the earlier ones, you can see minimums improved a lot in many games, still not quite on par with Intel in overall gaming performance but they seem to be a lot closer now.

Wonder how much better the 4000 series will be for games. Going to be interesting when more stuff starts leaking about them.

Interested myself, I've been pondering switching from 4790k to 3700x for gaming, music making and some other stuff but I guess it'd be better to wait for the refresh next year, they should bring like 15% IPC gain with a bit higher clocks and improved efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom