ebay... it’s happened again :(

Man of Honour
The problem with our MM is that many people think that they are entitled to buy stuff at giveaway prices. The place can be brutal for buyers. Haswell boards and cpu's on Ebay can go for double what they would in the MM. When I tried selling my 4790k and Asus ROG Hero VI in the MM last year people expected me to give them away for peanuts. In the end I had a sell for £1 offer from Ebay and the 4790k sold within 4 hours of listing for £195 and the motherboard for £99. I didn't have any problems with either buyer so not everyone who uses Ebay are a scammer or a chancer.

Soldato
OP
I've used MM quite a lot in the past and never had a problem, trouble is it's a relatively small market and as already highlighted nobody wants to pay anything. One of the common things i see happen is somebody will sell something at an almost giveaway price and then everyone quotes that as the new going price.

Soldato
I've used MM quite a lot in the past and never had a problem, trouble is it's a relatively small market and as already highlighted nobody wants to pay anything. One of the common things i see happen is somebody will sell something at an almost giveaway price and then everyone quotes that as the new going price.
Then you've got the people trying to sell their used hardware at a few quid less than the brand new price, and aren't willing to accept that their stuff isn't worth what they want it to be.

Soldato
OP
What i used to do on MM is take the average price of the last 5 items that are the same as the one i'm selling, then take off 20% and hope for the best!

Soldato
OP
Update.

I received back both CPU and Motherboard, despite the buyer of the CPU saying he bought it by mistake he still felt the need to take it out of the plastic packaging! But it still works and was complete.

The motherboard was a pleasant surprise as I felt sure the buyer would leave something out like I/O shield but no it was absolutely complete and surprisingly still works, luckily I still had my previous SSD with Windows etc on and it fired up with the CPU no problems, god knows what the buyer was up to.

Because stupidly I offered free delivery, I’ve lost out around £20 including fees etc. But could have been worse.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Soldato
Photograph the item with the serial number showing alongside the parcel addressed to customer. I wouldn't put it past some scammer to try keeping your good one and returning their duff one. Seems you got off lightly this time though.

Soldato
OP
Photograph the item with the serial number showing alongside the parcel addressed to customer. I wouldn't put it past some scammer to try keeping your good one and returning their duff one. Seems you got off lightly this time though.

I always take lots of photos of stuff before I sell it and the first thing I did before testing was to check serials / photos :)

Soldato
OP
Can you believe it!

Because of the problems I’ve had with the CPU and Motherboard I decided to cancel the sale of the Memory and GPU, apologised to buyers and explained they may have been damaged (truth is I didn’t want to risk it) and issued a refund through my eBay account. A week later despite eBay taking the money from me “cancellation pending” is still showing and buyers are still waiting for refund, when will this nightmare end?

Soldato
Can you believe it!

Because of the problems I’ve had with the CPU and Motherboard I decided to cancel the sale of the Memory and GPU, apologised to buyers and explained they may have been damaged (truth is I didn’t want to risk it) and issued a refund through my eBay account. A week later despite eBay taking the money from me “cancellation pending” is still showing and buyers are still waiting for refund, when will this nightmare end?

If the refund has been sent via Paypal's "eCheque" system, it takes ages to clear. Annoying, but wait and they'll clear eventually.

You were brave sending a £160 item by standard 1st class post, by the way!

Man of Honour

I used to do this, but apparently Ebay/Paypal don't care.

Can you believe it!

You'll be fine. It takes ages.

Soldato
Can you believe it!

Don't you refund via Paypal? Doing it on eBay only marks it as refunded.

Associate
I used to do this, but apparently Ebay/Paypal don't care.

You'll be fine. It takes ages.

When I sold on there (due to too many problem buyers I'd rather throw the stuff away and take the financial hit) I used to always include a photo of the serial number in the listing, wasn't an issue with the last item someone returned, it all matched up. One of the items before that never got returned, it was a DJI drone I sold due to lack of use, the picture showed the item working and description mentioned that the controller didn't fully charge, the buyer asked for the Amazon receipt as he was good with the SOGA (that made me suspicious) Amazon wouldn't deal with him, understandably due to GDPR and when I spoke with Amazon they wanted me to send the controller back and a new one would be sent out, when I explained that to the guy he called me a liar and went absolutely mad saying the drone was ****** and wanted a refund, I issued a return slip for him to send it back to me and he refused, eBay just refunded him, after a bit of arguing with eBay I got the money back, que more abuse from the guy as the funds were taken back from his account! He told me that he still had a plot of land to bury me in, I told him to pay me a visit and try, no reply and no visitation so obviously just a keyboard warrior! I looked through the feedback he'd left for others and around 50% was negative (I got that removed from my account too). He is no longer a registered user BTW.

I sold a few Cisco phones, demonstrated as working in the listing with the MAC addresses shown in a picture, the guy didn't have a clue asked me to email him config files as he couldn't get them to work, in the end he returned them, I plugged them in and they worked so he was obviously incompetent, Cisco stuff isn't the easiest to work with, but still, don't buy unless you know how to setup or are willing to learn. I relisted them and someone messaged me asking if they were easy to setup and I explained that unless he knew how to or was willing to research and learn then not to bother, he didn't buy. They later sold and that was it, so perhaps there is one genuine buyer out there.

The last item as I previously stated was a Tag McLaren amp, modified by my neighbour who deals a lot with Audiolab/Tag stuff and is quite highly regarded in that market. Even though the amp, due to the weight was collect only one guy asked how much to ship it to Greece and if I still had one of the power amp modules (5x100r modified to 4x100r, using the vacant space for more power), I pointed out it was collect only and questioned how legitimate he was as his account stated he as US based with zero feedback, when I said about the module was taken as payment he went on to call me a liar and that the 12 capacitors were not worth that much, I pointed out there was 16 capacitors and other parts used with them, he went absolutely mad. I reported him to eBay (doubt they did much) I said about it to my neighbour and he asked to buy it as the work carried out was done at less than cost price as a bit of a favour.

Soldato
OP
Don't you refund via Paypal? Doing it on eBay only marks it as refunded.

I followed the procedure to refund through ebay, they've taken the money from my PayPal which in turn was taken from my bank. Today i got emailed by ebay telling me to refund my buyers, my fear is they will take more money out of my account to refund buyers again.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve not sold anything for a while on eBay and the last time I did the buyer wanted to return an item before he even received it! Long story short I was left around £30 out of pocket as eBay never refunded fees :(

Fast forward to the present, I’ve just upgraded my computer and looking what people were paying for for stuff on MM I decided to take advantage of the “Max £2 seller fees” and put my i7 4970K CPU on a BIN for £160 inc P&P with no returns (hoping for £150 after fees and postage). It sold within a day and I posted it earlier today via 1st Class signed for pickup at Argos collection point (address given through eBay/PayPal)

a couple of hours ago I get the following message

“Hi, sorry to say but we just figured out that we do not have the correct motherboard for this cpu. We would like to get a refund please. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Thank you.”

Can someone tell me the best way to proceed with this and not lose money or CPU, I’ve not contacted buyer or eBay yet and its already cost me £10 in PayPal fees and postage ☹️

Thanks
What’s the chances they have swapped it with a dead cpu?

Soldato
OP
What’s the chances they have swapped it with a dead cpu?
None!
I received both CPU and Motherboard back, I've rebuilt my old rig and both work fine :)

In other news the ebay saga is finally over as I've recieved emails from ebay letting me know that buyers have been refunded, thank god!

Back
Top Bottom