• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So you want to replace your gaming PC with Google Stadia.? You might want to think again...

Soldato
Overheating issues with the Chromecast now being reported with typically dismissive Google 'tech support' not helping early adopters **cough** the beta testers

Caporegime
If this takes off then how are ISP's going to deal with bandwidth requirements? it'd be like having most of your customer base downloading torrents 24/7.

Soldato
If this takes off then how are ISP's going to deal with bandwidth requirements? it'd be like having most of your customer base downloading torrents 24/7.

how is it any different to Netflix?

my house chews through 700GB per month of data just on Netflix - luckily we have unlimited data

Associate
OP

my house chews through 700GB per month of data just on Netflix - luckily we have unlimited data
It is a bit more that Netflix .
Netflix 4K HDR/DVision is about 15mpbs where stadia is about 35mbps.

Soldato
Stadia relies on a load of infrastructure that Google don't control, ie the internet. This is a system that by design prioritises robustness over speed and latency. That is also run as a matter of course at high capacity during peak hours in order to maximise profits. If Stadia ever got big, the ISPs would start charging more for all the Stadia bandwidth, with extra bills to both Google and the customer.

The mistake Stadia makes is to rely on a key part of the infrastructure that belongs to someone else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stadia relies on a load of infrastructure that Google don't control, ie the internet. This is a system that by design prioritises robustness over speed and latency. That is also run as a matter of course run at high capacity during peak hours in order to maximise profits. If Stadia ever got big, the ISPs would start charging more for all the Stadia bandwidth, with extra bills to both Google and the customer.

The mistake Stadia makes is to rely on a key part of the infrastructure that belongs to someone else.

I guess from their point of view its worth going for though. Gaming as a service, all those lovely subscriptions and that steady cash flow every month if they can get it right. Sounds awful to me, we have enough stuff to subscribe to as it is! Haha!

Caporegime

I suppose it is the same but movies can be buffered in advance so if there's a 1 min period of heavy traffic buffering can act like UPS and nobodies service will be affected, whereas Stadia uses more bandwidth and won't tolerate a split second of service interruption. I suppose my point is it's going to put an incredible amount of stress on ISP's so will we see the return of things like throttling?

Soldato
I guess from their point of view its worth going for though. Gaming as a service, all those lovely subscriptions and that steady cash flow every month if they can get it right. Sounds awful to me, we have enough stuff to subscribe to as it is! Haha!

It has the potential for a lot of money if you get it right. Look at WoW or Fortnite. The difference is that by doing everything on server end, Stadia takes "internet issues" and ties almost every single thing about the game to it. There's a reason why games are client/server and do as much of the low level stuff as they can locally. Stadia is even rendering frames across the internet!

ISPs will see it as a massive, rich Google parasiting off their own businesses, using a disproportionate amount of their bandwidth that costs money, and ISPs will have their hands out for payment, or will start de-prioritising Stadia data.

In the end, none of that matters to the customer as long as it works by some technical magic. If the customer get a good gaming experience, they will be happy to pay, but it seems the magic isn't there, and launching without it may well be enough to kill Stadia long-term once a bad reputation gets established. Google is no stranger to simply cancelling or selling off projects that don't gain traction with their customers for whatever reasons.

Soldato
I suppose it is the same but movies can be buffered in advance so if there's a 1 min period of heavy traffic buffering can act like UPS and nobodies service will be affected, whereas Stadia uses more bandwidth and won't tolerate a split second of service interruption. I suppose my point is it's going to put an incredible amount of stress on ISP's so will we see the return of things like throttling?

Fast action gaming is hugely sensitive to latency. There's something about the feedback loop that allows humans to detect and adjust to quite small amounts of latency. One of the big complaints of Stadia has not just been the latency, but the fact it's not a consistent amount of latency, so you can't get used to it and compensate. By trying to do everything on the server, Stadia puts that latency front and centre in the worst possible way. If they can fix that somehow, they will have gone a long way to making it a working service. Yes, the graphics won't be as good, yes the framerate won't be as high, but it will be playable as a lower-fidelity experience. What they have now is a mostly unplayable, low-mid graphical experience, that's probably fine for mobile phones, but not much else.

Soldato
It has the potential for a lot of money if you get it right. Look at WoW or Fortnite. The difference is that by doing everything on server end, Stadia takes "internet issues" and ties almost every single thing about the game to it. There's a reason why games are client/server and do as much of the low level stuff as they can locally. Stadia is even rendering frames across the internet!

ISPs will see it as a massive, rich Google parasiting off their own businesses, using a disproportionate amount of their bandwidth that costs money, and ISPs will have their hands out for payment, or will start de-prioritising Stadia data.

In the end, none of that matters to the customer as long as it works by some technical magic. If the customer get a good gaming experience, they will be happy to pay, but it seems the magic isn't there, and launching without it may well be enough to kill Stadia long-term once a bad reputation gets established. Google is no stranger to simply cancelling or selling off projects that don't gain traction with their customers for whatever reasons.

Yeah, they definitely have a mountain to climb with all this. And not an insignificant one at that! Personally i'd rather use the MS one if i was to use any of them because at least thats tied to MS plus they have a lot more experience in the gaming space. And although MS drop stuff i don't think they are as bad as Google for dropping stuff...

Soldato
A lot of people are already accepting of high input lag because they play consoles on TVs that have all sorts of dodgy post-processing settings enabled.

the lag on Stadia is already significantly higher playing playing a 30fps console game

Associate
Stadia founder here, using a measly 34 down connection I’m playing at 1080p and it’s glorious! Barely touched my PC since I received my code.

No loading, Patches, crashes, no messing around with different launchers, just gaming.

Switching between the TV Chromebook instantly feels like magic!

Game streaming has certainly got a HUGE future

Associate
I'm a founder too.

For the price, I get a Chromecast, which I will use post Stadia, 3 months service, a buddy pass and a controller. That means the controller cost me ~£6 at the end if I stop using Stadia. It appears that the controller works outside of Stadia if used in the wired config.

I'm not sure how much I like the purchasing games aspect and not having a copy on my own PC, it could mean I loose access should it be removed from the store in future. This will take time to reassure users that it's not a problem.

I've played Destiny on a Mac and a TV, both over Wifi and the lag was noticeable, however, I did not give it more than an hour in the evening to improve. Perhaps in a few weeks it'll be better?

I have also purchased GYLT, fantastic little game. Lag is a non-issue. Overheating is not present, the Chromecast gets hot, but I don't care too much.

I suspect, 1st person shooters will be problematic for a while until lag is sorted (if it ever is) but strategy, single player games will be a hit.

Only time will tell how ISPs deal with it.

Soldato
Stadia relies on a load of infrastructure that Google don't control, ie the internet. This is a system that by design prioritises robustness over speed and latency. That is also run as a matter of course at high capacity during peak hours in order to maximise profits. If Stadia ever got big, the ISPs would start charging more for all the Stadia bandwidth, with extra bills to both Google and the customer.

You should look up CDNs are. Major content providers like Google are already wired directly into backbone infrastructure, services like this only rely on the public internet for the last leg, it's not like Google are connected by a domestic BT ISDN line somewhere and routing all the way through their network.

I've played quite a few games through Steam Link (including all 80 hours or so of AC Origins). Noticable lag yes, but perfectly fine for playing non-twitch games. I'm on the xCloud beta and it's just as good as local steam link. Definitely plenty of room for streaming services as a complement to console/PC gaming.....although obviously not going to be a replacement for anyone that is really into their gaming, and it's daft to suggest it is trying to be.

Soldato
I have a similar speed connection at home. (5ms, 800 - 950). You aren't going to be able to get around the MASSIVE amount of time it takes to transmit full frames of a game and react to inputs compared to very small net code in current systems.
Yeah, current online games transmit only low bandwidth numerical control data between server and game client.
Single this kind streaming gamer no doubt hogs bandwidth of hundreds of normal online gamers.
So can even see lots of internet starting to clog up if more people hop aboard.
Because this needs transmitting and transferring separately every single data packet of every single gamer!

At least live streaming/web TV broadcasts can use multicasting to lower the overal load from additional watchers.

Had a quick look. Knew it would be like this, hence I did not get excited like a handful of people did in the Stadia thread in the console section of the forum :p
Everyone with half of working brain and idea of how tech works knew the end result without sticking fingers into it and tasting that "brownish and smelly" substance.

Back
Top Bottom