ebay seller inflating postage charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Wow after 3 pages perhaps I see I am somewhat in the minority over the inflated postage charge situation. I have messaged the seller regarding the charge but certainly won't be going along the dispute route. I still think there should be more clarity in ebay postage charges i.e what % is the actual postage cost and what if anything is the sellers fee on top (fare enough if the seller has special packing charges/ fuel in the car etc) but I suspect that is not always the case.

Result! email in trust....

only j/k:p

You have missed the point the postage wasn't inflated at all. Yet you seem to be convinced that it is.

Do you sell stuff on ebay?

Because if you did you would realise postage is expensive and ebay normally sticks in the default price which is usually well below the real cost to the buyer.

I'm selling a GPU on ebay right now. It will likely cost me £15 to send it fully insured. Guess what I'm only charging £9.95. So I'll lose around £10 on postage once I take packaging and fuel costs into account and if I was to add my time into it then I'm losing a lot more.

Soldato
You have missed the point the postage wasn't inflated at all. Yet you seem to be convinced that it is.

Because if you did you would realise postage is expensive and ebay normally sticks in the default price which is usually well below the real cost to the buyer.

I'm selling a GPU on ebay right now. It will likely cost me £15 to send it fully insured. Guess what I'm only charging £9.95. So I'll lose around £10 on postage once I take packaging and fuel costs into account and if I was to add my time into it then I'm losing a lot more.
You also pay fees on postage costs :(

Man of Honour
Your actions contribute to the general hesitation perfectly reasonable sellers feel about using eBay.

If you weren't happy with the price, you shouldn't have paid it. If you must insist on wasting your time, that's fair enough, but please be courteous enough not to involve others.

Caporegime
Messaged a seller to reduce the £5 postage cost on a 1kg £25 item to £3 but got no response. Buy it now and raised issue with seller to be told that was the price through royal mail. Seller seemed somewhat "short" with me despite 1500+ 100% feedback but I imagined he was sending via an enhanced method or in a box)

[...]

With my own listings I don't charge an inflated charge for postage and don't charge for packaging.....am I right for calling out this seller?

Of course you're not, unless you were promised some specific service that he didn't deliver on then you're being rather silly here. You knew the price of postage and you willingly paid it.

If he'd promised say special delivery etc.. or 1st class post and sent it 2nd class then you'd have an argument that he'd defrauded you/ripped you off a bit but that doesn't seem to be what you're claiming.

You're just objecting, it seems, to how he runs his business (namely he's seemingly charging a price to include both the cost of the stamp and the packaging/his time etc..) in a different way to how you run yours. If you don't like how much he's charing or that he charges a fee that goes above the cost of the stamp then don't buy from him.

Caporegime
There was a thread on here recently (can't find it on search) which was I think was similar related.

Messaged a seller to reduce the £5 postage cost on a 1kg £25 item to £3 but got no response. Buy it now and raised issue with seller to be told that was the price through royal mail. Seller seemed somewhat "short" with me despite 1500+ 100% feedback but I imagined he was sending via an enhanced method or in a box)

Anyway arrive 4 days later in a plastic bag (standard second class) with a £3 postage label!

I have messaged the seller for a £2 refund postage cost

With my own listings I don't charge an inflated charge for postage and don't charge for packaging.....am I right for calling out this seller?
Wow the price including postage wad there to see and you are trying to screw him on that? He also has time and materials. You are a typical example of the kind of chancers we have in the UK... you will cause yourself and others stress quibbling over pennies that you rightly owe.

£2 is a lot of money to some people my friend.
No, it really isn't a "lot of money" unless you live in a 3rd world country.

Soldato

This x1000. Op is a total chump. A 1 kg parcel with insurance for £30 will never be in a month of sundays as cheap as £3 to send.

Soldato
Get a grip, you're part of the reason I sell everything free postage and just price the item accordingly. Can't be arsed to argue with people who think I'm trying to scam them out of a few pounds. You were free to not buy it, all the costs were upfront before you bought it. I've been selling things like vinyl LP's, and computer games, and on top of actual postage costs I've have to buy things like vinyl transport boxes and card DVD envelopes, which aren't free to me, neither is my time to go out of my way to post it.

Associate
Erm, think the point has been made. This is now turning into Yahoo Answers where everyone just posts the same stuff as if it's some original response.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
OP how are you allowed on the internet? It's postage and packaging, not to mention the time to pack it and actually go to the post office or whatever.

When I used to sell regularly on eBay I used to always make sure my postage charge was inflated to cover most of the PayPal fees on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom