• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Z370F - i7 8700k or i7 9700k?

Associate
OP
Interesting. I hadn't considered it could be my power supply. That very well could be it.

After work I'll boot without my gpu and see what happens, then I might try to overclock and see what happens. I have a CX 750w which isnt a high quality PSU so maybe upgrade that? I hoped it would last longer tbh considering the 750w

Associate
It could well be the motherboard whining, since the CPU is likely putting a greater strain on the vrms.

Some of the Z370/ 390 motherboards are known to have a bit of a whine under lighter loads.

Associate
OP
So this is the first overclock i've ever done and i'm currently at 5ghz @ 1.32v and about to stress test but somehow the buzzing whining noise is gone... no clue why or how but it has

Soldato
So what is the best option 9700k or 8700k? They are about the same price.

I see 9700k was having issues in red dead.

I just want it for gaming. Upgrade swap over my 8400.

Soldato
Red Dead is an engine bug which only manifests when running in high frame rate scenarios. You have to be running at medium/low 1080p settings in excess of 120 fps for it to strike. If you are running at higher quality and resolutions with lower fps then it runs without issue.

Associate
OP
So a few things I need help on with my overclock. I followed https://youtu.be/bD1Ze80GpLo these guides and have ended up with 1.33v 4.8ghz all core -2 avx offset and I'm seemingly stable but massively unhappy with those results especially when even at 4.6ghz I'm approaching 90c in prime 95 in minutes

I have noticed my 1.33v has a vdroop down to 1.312v according to CPUz and under the prime 95 stress test I've just discovered it drops and holds at 1.26v which may explain why it's super unstable when I'm setting below 1.33v in the bios.

I am going to get a 360mm aio at christmas which should help temps a lot more than my cooler master 240mm, but any solutions from stopping this massive vdroop? (Apologies in advance if this is the wrong use of the term)

Back
Top Bottom