PSU for first build - 5700xt

Associate
I started gathering parts for my first build last month and I'm at the stage of ordering my graphics card and psu now. I'm certain on getting a 5700xt which is looking like it will be the red devil. I was just about to order it but came across varying info in regards to what wattage of psu to order. I was originally looking at the superflower that's on sale just now https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-05z-sf.html but now I'm second guessing it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Other parts in the build so far are:

Ryzen 5 3600
2x8GB 3200mhz corsair vengeance
1tb Sabrent Rocket

Also seen the Gigabyte 5700xt was on sale for £25 less than the red devil. Would anyone recommend this over the red devil as I prefer the looks of the red devil so definitely swaying towards that, but could be doing with someone convincing me to save the money:p

If any more informations needed let me know, thanks.

Associate
550w is more than enough but I would go for a 600w anyway. Go for a high quality brand such as Super Flower like you mentioned, Corsair AX/ RM, Evga or Seasonic. I am not a fan of Corsair Power Supplies and would never use them personally anymore, but you can't go wrong with the other brands as long as it's a decent rated PSU. I did use the Corsair Ax1500i in the past and it was decent, but the cheaper units I always found to be poor.
The better quality power supply you pick up, the longer you are likely to get out of it. Some of them have longer warranties, I got 10 years with my Evga 1300w Titanium, so just consider the warranty also when you choose the unit mate. Quite sure most of the Evga ones if not all have 10 years, but again don't buy a lower end Evga one as some of those are not great either, you get what you pay for I guess. Looks like the Super Flowers give a decent 7 years too, not bad at all.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
550w is more than enough but I would go for a 600w anyway. Go for a high quality brand such as Super Flower like you mentioned, Corsair AX/ RM, Evga or Seasonic. I am not a fan of Corsair Power Supplies and would never use them personally anymore, but you can't go wrong with the other brands as long as it's a decent rated PSU. I did use the Corsair Ax1500i in the past and it was decent, but the cheaper units I always found to be poor.
The better quality power supply you pick up, the longer you are likely to get out of it. Some of them have longer warranties, I got 10 years with my Evga 1300w Titanium, so just consider the warranty also when you choose the unit mate. Quite sure most of the Evga ones if not all have 10 years, but again don't buy a lower end Evga one as some of those are not great either, you get what you pay for I guess. Looks like the Super Flowers give a decent 7 years too, not bad at all.
Struggling to find one at under 90. Is there any specifically that you recommend? Was looking at the 650w superflower but it's an extra £30 so 50% more than the price of the 550, is that normal for just a 100w increase?

Soldato
I started gathering parts for my first build last month and I'm at the stage of ordering my graphics card and psu now. I'm certain on getting a 5700xt which is looking like it will be the red devil. I was just about to order it but came across varying info in regards to what wattage of psu to order. I was originally looking at the superflower that's on sale just now https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-05z-sf.html but now I'm second guessing it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Other parts in the build so far are:

Ryzen 5 3600
1tb Sabrent Rocket

Also seen the Gigabyte 5700xt was on sale for £25 less than the red devil. Would anyone recommend this over the red devil as I prefer the looks of the red devil so definitely swaying towards that, but could be doing with someone convincing me to save the money:p

The Red Devil and Sapphire Nitro are probably the two best versions of the 5700XT. The Gigabyte is a very good card though, and you get UK warranty and there is also a Gigabyte rep who is active on here (GIGA-Man).

Associate
OP
I like the look of that one just wasn't sure if paying 50% more than the price of the 550w was good value for it. Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it. Thanks

The Red Devil and Sapphire Nitro are probably the two best versions of the 5700XT. The Gigabyte is a very good card though, and you get UK warranty and there is also a Gigabyte rep who is active on here (GIGA-Man).

I'd imagine that'd make life a lot easier if anything was wrong with the card which is handy. Really struggling to pick between it and the red devil can see me just flipping a coin.
I've seen a Corsair RM750 on sale for £75, is that a good reliable PSU? I know its a bit overkill with the wattage but it's considerably cheaper than most of the good 650w units I'm seeing.

Soldato
I'd imagine that'd make life a lot easier if anything was wrong with the card which is handy. Really struggling to pick between it and the red devil can see me just flipping a coin.
I've seen a Corsair RM750 on sale for £75, is that a good reliable PSU? I know its a bit overkill with the wattage but it's considerably cheaper than most of the good 650w units I'm seeing.

The RM is decent, but not as good as the RMx/RMi etc. Some of the internals are a bit cheaper on the RM.

The SuperFlower mentioned above is a good psu, and there is also the Corsair RMi for an extra £5.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £109.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Associate
OP
Associate

Ryzen 5 3600
1tb Sabrent Rocket

Defo reccomend the red devil over the gigabyte card. Better cooling and aesthetics.

Associate
OP
Defo reccomend the red devil over the gigabyte card. Better cooling and aesthetics.
Ordered the red devil earlier:D just need to wait till Christmas now to install everything as I'm getting the cpu from the mrs, don't know how I'm gona manage to wait

Associate
Ordered the red devil earlier:D just need to wait till Christmas now to install everything as I'm getting the cpu from the mrs, don't know how I'm gona manage to wait
Very nice! Waiting is very painful , I had to wait 4 months with everything but my sapphire Pulse 5700xt and it was soo painful :(

Back
Top Bottom