*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Currently down while they fix the mission board problem.

Decided to give it another bash but the bindings have all been messed up and I cant restore them from and old copy. So spending quite a long time sorting that out.
Grrr

Soldato
Is this a nice space exploration game where you can visit new galaxies and planets?

Is it good graphics wise?

Single galaxy but it's quite large... it can be utterly stunning graphically, planets can be all be seen but you can only land on airless ones and to be completely blunt when you're down on the surface they are all very similar, hoping the big update coming end of 2020 will up the ante somewhat but who knows... FD have a habit of promising lots of exciting updates and delivering underwhelming ones instead. For the £10 it'll cost to get up to date with it though it's an absolute bargain.

Soldato
Yeah, you can get some great looking shots. I've taken a few with next to no effort involved. Well, not unless you count figuring out the overly convoluted camera controls as effort. Now I just with they'd sort out the damned lighting for systems with more than one star.

Soldato
Is this a nice space exploration game where you can visit new galaxies and planets?

Is it good graphics wise?
It's frankly an astounding representation of the entire Milkyway galaxy, technically and visually, where you can even land & drive on non-atmospheric worlds too... But after those planetary surfaces were added a year after release, little more depth/variation has been added to exploration though sadly, so after a while you risk getting a somewhat "been there and done/seen that" feeling...

Gameplay wise, for a new starter it will be daunting, and balance (both economic and combat) has only got worse (IMHO) over the years. But there still plenty of fun to be had there!

There's supposedly a monstrous update in a years time, so a lot of folks (myself included) have fingers crossed finally for some (more) bar raising content...

But if exploration is your thing, I'll include a couple of my "exploration" based videos to whet your appetite? :)

A record distance:-

A rather deep crater:-

Life:-

A rather fast orbiting planet:-

Soldato
I see this is on Steam for only £5. Is it worth paying more for the deluxe version or not?

Can't see the steam page at the mo, but if by "deluxe" you are referring to the extra skin pack, then no it is not worth the extra, unless skins are your thing. What you MUST get however, is the Horizons expansion pack, probably called Horizons season pass. This is pretty much essential.

And yeah, graphics are amazing, but the overall sound in the game is equally as impressive.

Edit: And if anyone is just getting into this game off the back of a sale, then I thoroughly recommend avoiding any and all "get rich quick" tips/methods you may find on reddit etc, and just play the game normally for the first couple of months, such that you progress through the ships up until you can afford a Python. Once, you have then by all means skip to the end game money making methods. You massively enjoy the game in the early months if you get into it, and skipping the early slog by using the wealth methods really spoils this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see the steam page at the mo, but if by "deluxe" you are referring to the extra skin pack, then no it is not worth the extra, unless skins are your thing. What you MUST get however, is the Horizons expansion pack, probably called Horizons season pass. This is pretty much essential.

It's the commander deluxe edition which comes with horizons and some skins thrown in being referenced.

Associate
It's frankly an astounding representation of the entire Milkyway galaxy, technically and visually, where you can even land & drive on non-atmospheric worlds too... But after those planetary surfaces were added a year after release, little more depth/variation has been added to exploration though sadly, so after a while you risk getting a somewhat "been there and done/seen that" feeling...

Gameplay wise, for a new starter it will be daunting, and balance (both economic and combat) has only got worse (IMHO) over the years. But there still plenty of fun to be had there!

There's supposedly a monstrous update in a years time, so a lot of folks (myself included) have fingers crossed finally for some (more) bar raising content...

But if exploration is your thing, I'll include a couple of my "exploration" based videos to whet your appetite? :)

A record distance:-

A rather deep crater:-

Life:-

A rather fast orbiting planet:-
nice, I will have to revisit it just for the eye candy

Back
Top Bottom