Spec me a TV unit that is elegant but can hold multiple devices

Soldato
Hi chaps. I am in the process of doing up my sitting room and have come across a bit of a problem. My wife and I are agreed on minimal furniture as the room isn't huge and she wants it to have a certain homely cosy feel. She is happy for me to have a decent size tv and the associated soundbar/surround sound/amp or whatever we end up with.

The problem I'm having is finding a nice wooden tv unit or similar that actually has shelving etc to hold multiple pieces of AV equipment. I can spend hundreds at Oakfurnitureland or similar on a piece of furniture that is aesthetically pleasing but will only have storage shelving for a sky box and maybe one other device. Alternatively I can spend £50 on a glass TV stand that wouldn't fit at all with the look of the room but will hold a number of devices happily . Also is there any piece of furniture that allows a soundbar to be in front of the tv without obscuring the view?

Basically can someone spec me something that looks like a bit of furniture but actually has the practical element that means I could place a number of devices on/in it. Potential devices - Sky Q box, android box, maybe an amp or soundbar or central speaker. As an alternative view of the question can you show me how you incorporate you gear in a room while still having it look like a nice living room. I have asked something similar before but no harm in getting fresh ideas!

Soldato
I'm getting my TV (professionally) put on the wall today and the soundbar mounted underneath, which is a solution that works for both me and my wife. The wires go down the chimney (which we've had boarded over and plastered) and out the side. A good fitter can hide most of the running wires under the carpet and what's left can be far more easily tucked away behind other items of furniture. Our Sky Q box and the broadband router will tuck out of sight (Sky Q broadband doesn't require line of sight) easily enough.

I did the same thing in my previous house as well, having gone through numerous TV stands/units, none of which were visually satisfying. The problem comes if you want to add lots of new kit in the future, but you can anticipate some of that and have additional spare cables run at the same time as the installation.

Soldato
OP
I'm getting my TV (professionally) put on the wall today and the soundbar mounted underneath, which is a solution that works for both me and my wife. The wires go down the chimney (which we've had boarded over and plastered) and out the side. A good fitter can hide most of the running wires under the carpet and what's left can be far more easily tucked away behind other items of furniture. Our Sky Q box and the broadband router will tuck out of sight (Sky Q broadband doesn't require line of sight) easily enough.

I did the same thing in my previous house as well, having gone through numerous TV stands/units, none of which were visually satisfying. The problem comes if you want to add lots of new kit in the future, but you can anticipate some of that and have additional spare cables run at the same time as the installation.

We considered this at first but it wasn't practical for our needs. The problem is the room isn't huge and two couches cover two walls with French doors on the third. the only option for wall mounting would be above the fireplace which is just too high for practical viewing - it would mean the tv being hung like a picture rather than a TV! As a result we ruled it out and have already replastered, insulated the walls etc

Thank you for the reply though.

Man of Honour
Aside from the problem of a lack of shelf numbers, the other issue with high street TV cabinets is the lack of front-to-back depth. They're okay for the relatively shallow devices such as Sky boxes. What they haven't got space for is a deeper AV receiver plus the cables.

Aesthetics though is entirely subjective. Every member in this forum could make suggestions and none of them be quite right for you. To kill two birds with one stone then, do a Google search of "AV furniture" or "AV cabinet" to see what comes up.

Soldato
Also is there any piece of furniture that allows a soundbar to be in front of the tv without obscuring the view?

with judicious choice of open shelf, can put a soundbar beneath the top surface for the tv eg.
https://www.tikamoon.co.uk/art-anoa-teak-tv-stand-140-816.htm# ... folks with a supposed black friday offer
Open shelf - Dimensions : L130 x H16 x W45

... not sure such cabinets would be good for a turntable ... which would be my ideal

Soldato
The problem is top shelf height, if you buy a big TV, and want lots of storage, it'll raise it up.

That's why I put my av gear in seperate hifi rack, then choose the beat stand that will suit the height and center speaker, rather than getting a massive stand and it'll be too high and too widd

Soldato
OP
Aside from the problem of a lack of shelf numbers, the other issue with high street TV cabinets is the lack of front-to-back depth. They're okay for the relatively shallow devices such as Sky boxes. What they haven't got space for is a deeper AV receiver plus the cables.

Aesthetics though is entirely subjective. Every member in this forum could make suggestions and none of them be quite right for you. To kill two birds with one stone then, do a Google search of "AV furniture" or "AV cabinet" to see what comes up.

Of course I appreciate that and I have had a search around and discovered the problem that I outlined in my original post. I thought I would post to see if others had similar issues. I have no fixed ideas myself and will happily look at any suggestions made as it may show me websites and ideas that I hadn't considered.

What I don't want is a AV rack or a glass based solution that looks almost like an extension of the equipment itself. Im looking for something that looks like a piece of furniture. Im not sure if that makes a lot of sense.

Soldato
To be fair that is almost exactly what I have explicitly said I didn't want!

Problem is a "furniture" TV stand is opposite of actual useful, customisable, TV and large center stand, and one that provides clearance around center, with cooling for the sources. Plus it's black so disappears when watching TV...not like ultra bright white glossy stands.lol

Soldato
OP
Problem is a "furniture" TV stand is opposite of actual useful, customisable, TV and large center stand, and one that provides clearance around center, with cooling for the sources.

Hence the creation of the thread to find a compromise solution. Its not for a cinema room its just to allow the items to be used without dominating the room.

Back
Top Bottom