Sick in the Office

Soldato
I work from home all of the time. I have a home office.

GF (who also "works" from home about 50% of the time) wonders why I have to "work" about 10 hours a day after spending 2 or 3 dealing with her problems.

That said, I always had the same thing in offices. Other people are a PITA unless you can task them. :D

I don't really ill though. Her indoors is keeping outside germs out even though she's in and out all day and works with kids. People who cough or sneeze anywhere near me more than once tend not to do it again... And I don't go the pub anywhere near as often as I used to.

I figured that WFH means working from home. But yeah, teleworking (as I know it). I do that quite a lot anyway as we're paperless office and all we need is a laptop + Skype headset each. We only need to meet in person when there are meetings, appraisals, Christmas / birthday do's etc. 2 of us (including me) have had the common cold in the past year, and manager said just to telework until we get better. It means that we get better quicker, still put our hours in and we don't get a penalty mark on our HR file. Also means less paperwork, not having to waste manager and employee time in back-to-work meetings etc.

After all, we are in the C21st :) Laptop and Skype headsets > paper office.

Soldato
For me on Monday, it was, "can you get the Christmas decorations down from the loft?" Errrr no, its November 25th, "I want them down, we're busy at the weekend". I mean, I've done the school run morning and afternoon, helped with dinner, I need to get on with my blooming work.

Exactly the same, I have an office and all my work software installed at home but I never work from home because the family treat it as though I've got a day off and pester me all day with "tasks".

Soldato
I work in a big shared office. I'm the only point of IT in the company though so if i feel I'm a bit ill I'll just work from home for a day or two.

I actually find I get more work done when I'm at home and working remotely. No silly "why isn't the printer working" questions when it has no paper.

Soldato
For me on Monday, it was, "can you get the Christmas decorations down from the loft?" Errrr no, its November 25th, "I want them down, we're busy at the weekend". I mean, I've done the school run morning and afternoon, helped with dinner, I need to get on with my blooming work.

If I'm WFH and my Mrs is off I get the same thing.

"Do you want to come gym with me?"
"Shall we go shopping?"

Its literally reached the point where I just flick her on the side of the head and loudly exclaim "I'm at work!!!"

She seems to find is confusing because between tasks or if I just need a short break I'll pop into the living room and say hello. Apparently having 3 minutes away from the desk means I can also take two hours to go to gym.

Back
Top Bottom