Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Even if you choose the wireless option you are still going to have to get power to the cameras, which looks like it will be POE. Surely if you are going to have to run Cat 5e (dont use Cat 6 its not as flexible) to the cameras for power you can get the cables all the way back to the NVR or a POE switch?

Don’t bother with Hilook. Just stick to Hikvision it’s daddy company.
Cheers both, yeah you are right the wireless ones aren't particularly more flexible.

How does Reolink stand in the market, this looks a great deal https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/ and the cameras are well reviewed quite well on Amazon etc. £250 for 2tb NVR and 4 POE cameras looks solid deal.

Caporegime
Mate phoned me this evening to tell me he just got back from holiday. Cars stole. Jet-ski and motorbike stole from garage. Told no one he was going on holiday or his Mrs did. Only person they can think of was the Uber driver that took them to the airport who did ask where they were going, for how long etc. Neighbours heard & saw nothing. No one has cctv in the area either.

Who has jet ski's, cars, motorbikes and can't afford to spend £1000 on CCTV or even £150 on a Nest Hello?

Soldato
Cheers both, yeah you are right the wireless ones aren't particularly more flexible.

How does Reolink stand in the market, this looks a great deal https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/ and the cameras are well reviewed quite well on Amazon etc. £250 for 2tb NVR and 4 POE cameras looks solid deal.
Bumpity bump.

4 days left on this deal for the Reolink so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Associate
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice please.
I’m currently on the market for CCTV IP cameras that I’m planning to connect to my NAS drive.

My view is I will require:

Front:
2 x 2.8mm cameras at the front of the house, with both cameras crossing each other’s view for full coverage.

Alley:
1 x 4mm camera pointing to the side alley way.

Back:
1 x 2.8mm covering back of the house/garden.

I’m interested in the HIKVISION ColorVu 4MP Turret Cameras...would anyone be able to recommend where I should purchase them from? Any specific model numbers to go for or to avoid?

I’m also hoping to buy the cameras in black or grey, but mainly only seeing white available...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice please.
I’m currently on the market for CCTV IP cameras that I’m planning to connect to my NAS drive.

My view is I will require:

Front:
2 x 2.8mm cameras at the front of the house, with both cameras crossing each other’s view for full coverage.

Alley:
1 x 4mm camera pointing to the side alley way.

Back:
1 x 2.8mm covering back of the house/garden.

I’m interested in the HIKVISION ColorVu 4MP Turret Cameras...would anyone be able to recommend where I should purchase them from? Any specific model numbers to go for or to avoid?

I’m also hoping to buy the cameras in black or grey, but mainly only seeing white available...

Thanks.

I had a dilemma of camera placement. Do you place them high up where they get full coverage. Or do you place them low down where they can capture the persons face and details but also easily vandalised?

My opinion is for them to be really useful you need a combination of both. You need a camera low down so you can see their faces rather than the top of their head. Then you also need one high up to capture vehicles, etc.

so i would go for 2.8mm cameras and place them low down and maybe put 3 at the front where one of them is high up for an overview.

alternatively get a nest hello as your low down face recognition option. then place others all up high.

Associate
I had a dilemma of camera placement. Do you place them high up where they get full coverage. Or do you place them low down where they can capture the persons face and details but also easily vandalised?

My opinion is for them to be really useful you need a combination of both. You need a camera low down so you can see their faces rather than the top of their head. Then you also need one high up to capture vehicles, etc.

so i would go for 2.8mm cameras and place them low down and maybe put 3 at the front where one of them is high up for an overview.

alternatively get a nest hello as your low down face recognition option. then place others all up high.

Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to add 2 x 2.8mm HiKVision ColorVu camera's at front window height - this will allow me to identify an individual and also cover the front drive. If the coverage is not sufficient, then I plan to add an additional camera at a later stage, much higher up.

This is the model that I plan to purchase:
4MP IP DS-2CD2347G1-LU ColorVu Hikvision Fixed Turret Network Camera MIC Build-in 2.8mm

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to add 2 x 2.8mm HiKVision ColorVu camera's at front window height - this will allow me to identify an individual and also cover the front drive. If the coverage is not sufficient, then I plan to add an additional camera at a later stage, much higher up.

This is the model that I plan to purchase:
4MP IP DS-2CD2347G1-LU ColorVu Hikvision Fixed Turret Network Camera MIC Build-in 2.8mm

All of mine are up high at roof level. Which is great for capturing everything apart from people's faces.

Luckily I have a nest hello so I hope that will get the face. If I didn't have that then having them all high up is pretty much useless when it comes to the police being able to identify who it is.

Associate
All of mine are up high at roof level. Which is great for capturing everything apart from people's faces.

Luckily I have a nest hello so I hope that will get the face. If I didn't have that then having them all high up is pretty much useless when it comes to the police being able to identify who it is.

I already have the ring doorbell pro which is good for deliveries but the video quality can be better.

I have also purchased Ring Alarm, Ring Floodlight Camera for the front and back.

In addition, also purchased Ring Spotlight Camera but will not use this anymore and will instead buy Hikvision ColourVu cameras...

In future, I intend to link an external siren to the Ring Alarm and currently have Philips Hue, so intend to flash all the lights in the house red when the alarm goes off using IFTTT...

Soldato
My wife wants one of these to keep an eye on our mental dogs when we are out, looking on Amazon there's loads, mainly Chinese, and full of reviews raging from 5* to 1* so they don't quite ring true.
Anyone got a decent one and can offer an honest review of it?
Looking for wireless probably, motion detection, night vision with an SD card slot as don't want to pay for cloud storage.
Think you can get ones compatible with the Echo too?

Soldato
There's a long CCTV thread but IMHO if you want a decent Chinese brand with updates and website etc. then Reolink will have a camera to serve your needs. I know Hikvision will be mentioned also but they are less consumer orientated I believe.

Install camera, power on and it should connect to you router. Install the Reolink app and use the QR code on the camera from within the app to setup your camera and you should get a video stream from the camera. In theory it should eb that easy to setup a camera and will stream anywhere you have internet access.

C1Pro @ £44.79 + USB PSU (mine are all PoE) could be ideal on their website.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a long CCTV thread but IMHO if you want a decent Chinese brand with updates and website etc. then Reolink will have a camera to serve your needs. I know Hikvision will be mentioned also but they are less consumer orientated I believe.

Install camera, power on and it should connect to you router. Install the Reolink app and use the QR code on the camera from within the app to setup your camera and you should get a video stream from the camera. In theory it should eb that easy to setup a camera and will stream anywhere you have internet access.

C1Pro @ £44.79 + USB PSU (mine are all PoE) could be ideal on their website.
Thanks, just grabbed an E1 Pro for under £40 on one of the lightning deals.

Caporegime
So,

Last night my girlfriend's car window was put through (We believe this is because they thought there was a purse in there).

This has caused us to look at getting some CCTV.

We live in a terrace house, so access to drilling and running cables is limited to the front and back, because of that we were contemplating something like the hive outdoor camera, as this would allow us to simply drill in the cable to the power and then just run it on the wifi easy peasy.

We want something that's running 24/7 and that we can check whenever we want (We're not fussed about retention as such, we'd be happy with a week etc), however it doesn't appear that the Hive outdoor camera can do that, and ends up flaky sometimes because of the motion detection etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? We just want something that we can put up easily even if that means having to plug it into a socket.

Cheers.

Caporegime
So,

Last night my girlfriend's car window was put through (We believe this is because they thought there was a purse in there).

This has caused us to look at getting some CCTV.

We live in a terrace house, so access to drilling and running cables is limited to the front and back, because of that we were contemplating something like the hive outdoor camera, as this would allow us to simply drill in the cable to the power and then just run it on the wifi easy peasy.

We want something that's running 24/7 and that we can check whenever we want (We're not fussed about retention as such, we'd be happy with a week etc), however it doesn't appear that the Hive outdoor camera can do that, and ends up flaky sometimes because of the motion detection etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? We just want something that we can put up easily even if that means having to plug it into a socket.

Cheers.

if you are drilling a hole for power you may as well do POE instead.

get Hikvision or Dahua from a UK supplier. I don't recommend buying chinese stock. It's worth paying the extra £10 for the UK warranty.

You should only neeed 2 cameras covering the front. one low down on one side to get faces and one high up to get an overview.

add a nest hello doorbell into the mix and you are sorted.

i don't see why you need to cover the back but if you do then i'd get 2 low down.

Caporegime
if you are drilling a hole for power you may as well do POE instead.

get Hikvision or Dahua from a UK supplier. I don't recommend buying chinese stock. It's worth paying the extra £10 for the UK warranty.

You should only neeed 2 cameras covering the front. one low down on one side to get faces and one high up to get an overview.

add a nest hello doorbell into the mix and you are sorted.

i don't see why you need to cover the back but if you do then i'd get 2 low down.

I'm not exactly made of money lol.

The Hive outdoor camera seemed great for what it is.

It's easy to plug up and it "just works" for ~£160.
Although it lacks any local/LAN storage and only seems to upload to cloud, so if we were to set it to 24/7 record it'd be absolutely smashing my upload?

I just want something as simple as that but local storage that can be accessed over WAN.

Caporegime
I'm not exactly made of money lol.

The Hive outdoor camera seemed great for what it is.

It's easy to plug up and it "just works" for ~£160.
Although it lacks any local/LAN storage and only seems to upload to cloud, so if we were to set it to 24/7 record it'd be absolutely smashing my upload?

I just want something as simple as that but local storage that can be accessed over WAN.

buy cheap and buy twice.

if you want a cheap setup just get 5 yi cameras and stick them in every window with an SD card in each. total cost £150 and it does everything through wifi too.

Back
Top Bottom