Quiet Air Cooler for 3700x?

Associate
Hi Guys, currently speccing up a new build for this black Friday. Going to go with Ryzen 7 3700x, X570 Aorus Elite, Crucial Ballistix LT 32gb Ram 2x16gb, Gigabyte Gaming OC 5700XT in a Fractal Design Meshify C Blackout but was wondering what cpu cooler would be sufficient for my needs. Pc will be used for light gaming, Photoshop, lightroom and light video editing. I'm not a fan of RGB so the stealthier the better. Budget would be arou d £50-60, aiming for a quiet system so don't mind spending more than that if nesseary.
Thanks

Associate
OP
Just a thought, can you not switch off the RGB on the wraith? Would probably get better temps with anything else though I guess.

I didn't think of that if I'm honest, just assumed it was a permanent RGB affair.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is around £70 and I can highly recommend it. Better temps than my previous AIO and almost completely silent under all use conditions.

I will definitely consider that as an option, are there many differences between the standard Dark Rock and the Pro version that warrant the extra money?

Associate
I will definitely consider that as an option, are there many differences between the standard Dark Rock and the Pro version that warrant the extra money?
I don't know to be honest, I'm far from an expert on heatsinks. I just looked for the coolest, and more importantly quietest, when I had to replace an AIO that died a couple of months ago.

Associate
OP
DR pro has 2 fans and the DR has 1 :)
But remember that it is a BEAST,i have the DR 2 pro and it just fits my hafx 932 case :eek:

Interesting you say that as my current case is also a 932. I am looking to downsize to a smaller case (Fractal Design Meshify C or NZXT H500) but will have to investigate how much size there is for a cooler. I'm guessing if a DR Pro 4 is a tight in a 932 it may not fit into what I am looking at buying

Soldato
Not sure about your case but mine has a 200mm side fan
BUT if i replaced it with 2x120mm fans on the bottom half the DR 2 pro would fit easily

162.8 mm from cpu to top of cooler

Last edited:
ThermalRight Macho is an epic cooler for around 50 quid, VERY quiet 140mm fan, cools my 2700X nicely, never goes above 65c stress tests and gaming it will sit at 50c when pushed depending on game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dark Rock 4 is 159x136x73mm w/ 6x 6mm heatpipes and single fan.
Dark Rock Pro 4 is 162.8x136x119.5 w/ 7x 6mm heatpipes and two fans.

Both are very good. Extra heatpipe and fan with bigger footprint does improve cooling a few degrees, but either one will do a good job for you.

Grandmaster Fap! needs to learn the difference between Thermalfake and Thermalright. Macho is made by Thermalright, a company with a long history of great coolers. Macho with 140mm fan is one of them.

Your Meshify C has 170mm spec for CPU clearance but Fractal Design clearance specs are conservative and most if not all Ryzen mobos will hold TRUE Spirit 140 Power which costs less and cools better. In fact i'ts about half as expensive as others with it's cooling ability, so to me is worth checking out. I'm using one and love it.

Associate
I've put the Scythe Mugen PCGH edition on my son's rig - it's an MATX case, so it takes up most of the internal space.

Seriously impressed by it - doing a better job than my Kraken X62 AIO!

Caporegime
I've put the Scythe Mugen PCGH edition on my son's rig - it's an MATX case, so it takes up most of the internal space.

I'm using this, completely silent and keeps my 3700X under 85 degrees full cinebench load. Recommended.

Doesnt overhang RAM slots at all either.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone, plenty of options to consider now :D leaning towards the DR PRO 4 but hoping for some good black Friday deals so that may swing me!

Soldato
ThermalRight Macho is an epic cooler for around 50 quid, VERY quiet 140mm fan, cools my 2700X nicely, never goes above 65c stress tests and gaming it will sit at 50c when pushed depending on game.

These are the coolers I'm considering for a 3800X build. I've been really happy with the Thermalright cooler on my current system, but they appear hard to get hold of now, not sure why!

Soldato
I've put a DRP4 on my Ryzen 3600. I got ot off here as a B grade item from overclockers shop for £53 delivered. It is huge but keeps everything well cooled and silent also.

Soldato
Do any of the Scythe coolers have an issue with orientation on the AM4 socket? I really want the cooler to be aligned so that the fan(s) is/are aligned with the rear case fan, which my current build does not do.

Ordered a Scythe Fuma 2 for cheap in any case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom