Want to get Oculous Rift, but i dont have enough space..

Underboss
I have kept looking at VR, more so now the Rift S has no external sensors, but my bedroom is small

well 3 meters length way is fine, but the other way i have my large desk with a large wardrobe behind it, so 1m10 lol

for me, its getting the experience of actually being there, sure i want one of those treadmill things where you strap your self in and the whole of the bottom moves where you walk etc etc

i love fps games, and i want to be active more, so beat saber looks great fun and good exercise with it

what to do.. ?

Soldato
Get a Quest, and you can link to your PC for standing/seated experiences and then disconnect the cord to play in larger playspaces for roomscale experiences.

Though you can easily play the Rift S in a small space as long as you have enough room to outstretch your arms while standing.

Underboss
OP
Get a Quest, and you can link to your PC for standing/seated experiences and then disconnect the cord to play in larger playspaces for roomscale experiences.

Though you can easily play the Rift S in a small space as long as you have enough room to outstretch your arms while standing.

i can out stretch my arms whilst standing (they will go over the desk) so beat saber would be a problem for me i think

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No point in buying a rift s now the quest has link enabled (will be doubly true when oculus release the fibre optic link cable).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

80hz refresh is bad enough but going down to 72, is that really a good idea?

It's fine, absolutely no issues for me - and I'm usually quite sensitive to refresh rate (I can see fluorescent lights flicker when others cant etc).

Soldato
ok, why whats with the fiber optic cable?
It’s the only way to get a reliable 5m cable for the Quest to use it as a PC VR headset. However you can use standard third party cable up to 3m. The Quest is a good all rounder, but I find it front heavy and uncomfortable for long game sessions. But then it has physically adjustable IPD which is better than the Rift S.

Soldato
Rift S is clearer definitely by far.

I'd get a Quest if you have space concerns tho. as with a quest u can always.. u know.. just go to a different room. and as a VR newbie, the best VR experiences are superhot etc. and those games need SPACE.

Associate
Another recommendation for the Quest, I had a rift s but kept getting tracking issues so I returned it. As soon as link became available I bought a quest. Link works great and is still in beta but the convenience of just putting on the Quest and playing and not having a wire means I'm using it as a standalone far more than I thought I would. The Quest is also really great for watching films and YouTube.

Underboss
OP
It’s the only way to get a reliable 5m cable for the Quest to use it as a PC VR headset. However you can use standard third party cable up to 3m. The Quest is a good all rounder, but I find it front heavy and uncomfortable for long game sessions. But then it has physically adjustable IPD which is better than the Rift S.

Thank you

I saw there are adjustments on the quest, you can move the lens away/closer as well can't you ? I wear glasses (-11/-10, and stigmatism) so hoping it will be ok

Underboss
OP
Rift S is clearer definitely by far.

I'd get a Quest if you have space concerns tho. as with a quest u can always.. u know.. just go to a different room. and as a VR newbie, the best VR experiences are superhot etc. and those games need SPACE.

Yeah that's my thoughts too, want the space to really enjoy it, rift S would be the one I'd choose, but I like the idea of... NO WIRES lol

Soldato
Yeah that's my thoughts too, want the space to really enjoy it, rift S would be the one I'd choose, but I like the idea of... NO WIRES lol
No wire is huge even if you have a big play space.

If you are new to VR, there is plenty of content in the quest to get through. Then you can decide how much you like vr later for the tethered experience (index vs rift s)

Soldato
I saw there are adjustments on the quest, you can move the lens away/closer as well can't you ? I wear glasses (-11/-10, and stigmatism) so hoping it will be ok
The Quest only has IPD adjustment which is the distance between the lenses (left/right). You do however get a plastic spacer piece which enlarges the housing to accommodate specs.

The Rift S doesn't have IPD adjustment (there is a software setting but this doesn't do much). However there is forward/backwards adjustment for specs wearers or just personal preference.

You can get replacement prescription lenses but these are expensive. Worth considering though is you really get into VR. You get a wider field of view when the lenses are closest to you eyes.

Associate
you can go longer than 3m. see yesterday's Cas and Chary's video on YouTube for some tested cable recommendations. The Link connection is working well for me using a uGreen 5 metre usb 3.0 active extension cable with a 1m usb 3.0 type A to C Syncwire cable. It may not be super elegant but it is still less cable than a separate usb and video cable.

Soldato
you can go longer than 3m. see yesterday's Cas and Chary's video on YouTube for some tested cable recommendations. The Link connection is working well for me using a uGreen 5 metre usb 3.0 active extension cable with a 1m usb 3.0 type A to C Syncwire cable. It may not be super elegant but it is still less cable than a separate usb and video cable.
Ah yes, good info. I had watched Mike's video but he didn't go beyond 3m. I hadn't realised that this setup doesn't provided quite enough power and so the battery still drains over time. The rumour is that the official cable will be able to fully power the headset due to the efficiency of the optical signal.

Soldato
Go is not that much better than a mobile phone based headset. There is a method to play PC VR games on the Go but as it only has 3DoF the titles you can play is rather limited.

Soldato
Go is primarily a media watching device, with some reasonably decent games. It's actually better for media consumption than the Quest, as it's lighter and the screen is sharper; but the Quest is a way, way better gaming machine. No point getting a Go if it's primarily for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom