Do people not like heated seats?

Caporegime
Fiestas are expensive these days!

Show me a car that isn't. The prices of a lot of cars has gone up over the past 10 years. People are now spending what they normally would on a 3 series or A3 on a 1 series or A1.

It still doesn't mean that because the fiesta is more expensive now than 10-15 years ago it should come with all the mod cons of a 7 series.

Like what?

Anything higher up in the food chain. If you want a small car then a CT200h.

It's a bit like saying why don't people who buy corsa's spec automatic gearboxes? Well it's a budget car. Look at a bmw 5 series and you won't find many that aren't automatic on the big engine diesels. Heated seats are not specced on small budget cars for a very obvious reason because heated seats are a luxury item.

Last edited:
The size of the car bears probably the least relationship to price than it ever has

With cars sharing the chassis, the engines, the gear boxes, parts of the interior (such as seats), a lot of the common components inside the car (thinks like window motors, the infotainment etc) its hardly surprising the actual size of the car is pretty much a besides the point in regards the cost.

Plenty of people want the cars to be what they are want, and if you don't do lots of long distance cruising, or need lots of luggage space, then buying bigger ones is often just making life worse for yourself. Narrow carparks etc just mean a smaller one will often be easier to live with daily.

In the 80s and 90s maybe you still had to buy a bigger car to get options of most of the better car kit. Now its practically all available on every car.

Soldato
Show me a car that isn't. The prices of a lot of cars has gone up over the past 10 years. People are now spending what they normally would on a 3 series or A3 on a 1 series or A1.

Anything higher up in the food chain. Like a focus even or if you want a small car then a CT200h.

It's a bit like saying why don't people who buy corsa's spec automatic gearboxes? Well it's a budget car. Look at a bmw 5 series and you won't find many that aren't automatic on the big engines.

Maybe somebody likes the Fiesta and doesn't want or need a bigger car, but they want a few creature comforts like heated seats? If it's available as an optional extra why shouldn't they spec it?

Strange opinion, I must say!

Soldato
I hate heated seats.
I would however like a heated steering wheel on my next car. Now I am in my 30s my hands get very cold haha.

Yep, I had a rental Mokka with a heated steering wheel a couple of years ago. terrible car and could barely move with it's 1.6 petrol engine (but would use plenty of fuel while trying), but the heated wheel even on the lowest setting was lovely, and saved having to have the air vents aimed at my hands which ends up drying my skin out.

Anything higher up in the food chain. If you want a small car then a CT200h.

Heated seats and steering wheel are a £300 option on a Fiesta; the upgrade to a Lexus is a £10k option which, ironically, doesn't have heated seats as standard (part of the £1,400 Premium Pack).

You really do say some bafflingly snobbish things sometimes, Psycho.

Caporegime
? might as well have said Ford Focus.

If the focus has them as standard or it's what most people spec as an option then yeah.

Yep, I had a rental Mokka with a heated steering wheel a couple of years ago. terrible car and could barely move with it's 1.6 petrol engine (but would use plenty of fuel while trying), but the heated wheel even on the lowest setting was lovely, and saved having to have the air vents aimed at my hands which ends up drying my skin out.

Heated seats and steering wheel are a £300 option on a Fiesta; the upgrade to a Lexus is a £10k option which, ironically, doesn't have heated seats as standard (part of the £1,400 Premium Pack).

You really do say some bafflingly snobbish things sometimes, Psycho.

He's buying second hand though. Since he's saying people aren't fitting them. So yeah all he needs to do is get a second hand CT200H which isn't the base spec which is very easy to do. So no way is a CT200H a £10K premium second hand unless he is only looking at nearly new or 1 year old cars.

Caporegime
Maybe somebody likes the Fiesta and doesn't want or need a bigger car, but they want a few creature comforts like heated seats? If it's available as an optional extra why shouldn't they spec it?

Strange opinion, I must say!

I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying nobody does for a reason. It's a basic car. Hardly anyone is going to spec a luxury item in a basic car.

Are you also surprised nobody is speccing panaoramic roofs in a fiesta?

Soldato
I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying nobody does for a reason. It's a basic car. Hardly anyone is going to spec a luxury item in a basic car.

Are you also surprised nobody is speccing panaoramic roofs in a fiesta?

I'm not really sure what your point is, tbh.

If the manufacturer has included a feature as an optional extra then it's probably because there is a demand for it. It doesn't really matter what car it is.

I grant you it would be silly to expect "high-end" features such as soft-closing doors, double-glazing, massage seats, rear seat entertainment controls, air suspension, etc. on a supermini, but these are not in the same league as heated seats, which have been a common feature on both big and small cars for years.

Soldato
I grant you it would be silly to expect "high-end" features such as soft-closing doors, double-glazing, massage seats, rear seat entertainment controls, air suspension, etc. on a supermini, but these are not in the same league as heated seats, which have been a common feature on both big and small cars for years.

Though equally, on a slightly different subject, it is annoying that quality only really scales with size.

Though equally, on a slightly different subject, it is annoying that quality only really scales with size.

Does it?
There seems to be more quality due to refresh date than anything.
My TT is just as nice, but its better in some areas (VC etc) than my mates RS6 which he bought within a month of me. The RS6 has now been refreshed so I expect its probably a step up again. His cost pretty much twice what mine cost.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Be nice to have on a crisp cool morning with the roof down but in a fixed roof car I have yet to sit in one where the seat doesn't feel weird after a while. Even in the F-Pace I turned it off after 30 minutes as it got to the point it just felt weird and I couldn't find a comfortable balance in the 3 intensity settings.

In the M3 I don't have them but don't miss them either. Nappa leather warms to body heat very quickly. As mentioned though, nice to have with roof down on colder days but certainly not something that is a must.

Heated steering wheel on the other hand is actually brilliant, I'd much rather have that than heated seats.

Soldato
There are stacks of good features available now on cars like the Fiesta, and it’s testament to how far cars have come. It’s an asset of the Fiesta that it can be well equipped, not something to chide it for.

It’s not necessarily a new thing though. Who remembers when a CD player was an extra on a 3-series, yet standard on anything other than the base model Fiesta? :p

Back
Top Bottom