BMW/Audi drivers surpassed?

Soldato
Is it just my experience (full disclosure, I'm a bus driver) or are Kia drivers, particularly Sportage or those bloody Niro things, becoming the worst driven cars on the roads?
Is it just limited to South Yorkshire or is anyone else experiencing similar?

Associate
Worst... The sport looking vehicle, heavy and matched to a fantastic 1.0 wimpy engine. Perfect vehicles to cross in front of people without warning or join the motorway at 20mph.
Few years back those drivers would drive something small, and in case of accident, the victim had more chances of surviving. Not the same with bigger cars, specially when they can't keep in one lane Doug a roundabout or stay in their lane in not so sharp bends.

Caporegime
Hell no. But there has been a shift from BMW to Audi as the worst.

No, you see...there's a difference. Audi drivers often drive like entitled bell ends. They're not the worst drivers, just a-holes. Crossover and compact SUV drivers are generally just utterly inept and unaware. They frequently drive them because they're nervous (pronounced incompetent) and want to drive a bigger vehicle as a comfort blanket or because of this mystical higher/upright seating position (i never got this upright thing, coming from saloons and hatches i don't get how you can't just raise your seat :confused:). As someone who splits his time between an actual full size pickup and a car with my arse on the ground i find it makes pretty much bugger all difference. The only time I have a problem seeing in the Porsche is when i'm at a junction next to someone in...you guessed it...a crossover or compact suv!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
See more BMWs indicating now than any other marque. Quite pleasing to see tbh. It's the SUV and underpowered engine vehicles that try to overtake cars but can't because no power and thus hold up the right hand lanes needlessly as they slowly pass...

Man of Honour
or because of this mystical higher/upright seating position (i never got this upright thing, coming from saloons and hatches i don't get how you can't just raise your seat :confused:). As someone who splits his time between an actual full size pickup and a car with my arse on the ground i find it makes pretty much bugger all difference.

Have to say I'm the opposite - I split my time between a good size pickup and other vehicles and I hate and really notice the difference getting down into a car - I really hate the height in a regular car and you can't just raise the seat (even in vehicles that have a good range of seat motion) to change that.

See more BMWs indicating now than any other marque.

Probably just because they have technology now that does it for the driver :D:D:D

Associate
It could be that Kia Stinger drivers are a bit more into driving.
Brand generalisations almost always fall down somewhere.

(Kia Stinger GTS)

Soldato
OP
I've gotta say I find it rather ironic that a bus driver is calling people out on their bad driving.

I tend to find bus drivers and taxi drivers the absolute worst on the roads.

Most people think bus drivers are terrible but it's not easy driving them. Engines are often underpowered for the vehicle size. Most single decks are 10-12 tons empty, most doubles are 13+ empty. They're 40ft long, 8.5ft wide.

Though I agree with you on the taxis. I've actually hit one with a bus. He tried overtaking and then taking the junction to my left whilst I was doing 37mph (in a 40)

One less Prius & taxi driver on the roads (taxi/driving licence lost, not life)

Soldato
Is it just my experience (full disclosure, I'm a bus driver) or are Kia drivers, particularly Sportage or those bloody Niro things, becoming the worst driven cars on the roads?
Is it just limited to South Yorkshire or is anyone else experiencing similar?

Like all brand generalisations, it's not the badge that's responsible for bad driving, it's simply that they are becoming more common.
And as with anything, you only notice the "bad" drivers, and you remember what car they were in. So you end up forming the perception that Kia drivers in particular are suddenly worse. The same goes for the BMW/Audi trope - it's not that they are innately bad, it's just that they are common, so there's more likelihood of a twazzock being behind the wheel.

Soldato
They do seem to attract a certain customer though. When you watch those police camera death action shows, the drug dealers are always in a BMW or Audi of some kind :p

Soldato
I watched a complete satchel on the road last monday which was funny enough a Kia.

Watched this Kia Xceed (I think) weaving in and out of lanes to get ahead, eventually got onto a 50mph dually, he was riding this Range Rover's back bumper, The Range rover decided to put his foot down to get away and this Kia thing just flew, It was like I just watched a Golf R hook up and take off which really surprised me since the engines in these little kia crossover thing ain't anything special.

Don
I still drive my beemer with scant regard to other peasants on the road. Had my indicators removed for a more stealthy look and always swerve violently across all available lanes till I arrive in the BMW dedicated outside lane.

Soldato
when it comes to entitled driving i think audi still holds the crown, honourable mention to golf/passats- not all of them are bad but the ones that are are proper bad, had a golf appear up my backside doing over the ton and decided that flashing his lights to get the mere peasants out of the way was preferable to slowing down to, y'know, the speed limit.

in terms of dozy driving i've not seen too much shenanigans from crossover drivers here but i reckon that's luck more than anything.

Soldato
Whilst I do believe that road-going idiots come in all shapes and sizes, there is, IMHO, a definite trend toward the following vehicles being piloted by cretins, in order of cretinousness: Audi, Audi, Audi, Range Rover, Vauxhall Zafira, Vauxhall Mokka, Vauxhall Grandland X, Renault Scenic, BMW X5 (first generation), Kia Sorento (first generation)

BMW drivers are usually fine nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom