At what age should sex education be taught?

Caporegime
Last year of junior school should pretty much have the basics covered.

Year 7 senior school should be talking about relationships, contraception. It's going to fly over most kids heads up until 13/14 then probably be very important.

As for teaching about same sex, and the alphabet soup people. Well their definitely needs to be a tolerance of everything but no promotion of any agendas. Which will most likely be impossible.

I don't know if schools still teach "Life skills" but it should be part of that including cooking nutrition, PE, this stuff, hopefully with a cool and open enough teacher that kids can just ask anything and get a decent unopiniated or agenddad answer.

Maybe 1h a day ..... X5

Soldato
Teach it as soon as possible really. We shouldn't be embarrassed about things that happen naturally.

Have not held back with either of my kids when they've asked.

Permabanned
For what it's worth, and I hasten to add there are many facets of the Islamic religion I disagree with, these parents and their supporters have my full backing, and should be able to choose whether their very young children are taught about homosexuality and trans-gendarism in their schools. I hope they do not give up on their quest for the teaching of such matters to be under their own jurisdiction and not forced by a probably politically led ideology of a particular council. Good luck to those here that feel similarly!

Caporegime
Around the time of puberty seems the obvious natural answer, we shouldn't really be filling infants minds with stuff they aren't yet mature enough for. It's a bit perverse adults talking to infant children about that sort of thing anyway.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Before they start having sex ideally, or it will be too late...

The primary "sex education" isn't really. It is more about relationships and anatomy. You really do need to be talking to girls about periods before they start having them!

Soldato
Funny how people moan about kids growing up too fast, at the same time as bemoaning them for being immature, or too reliant on parents etc.

In any case, there are aspects of sex ed that should be taught to young kids: personal boundaries, consent etc. And there's no harm in talking about non-hetero relationships pretty early too - for most kids, hetero relationships will be normalised by witnessing their own parents, so educating on other types of relationships will help normalise those too.

Good post.

Lots of sex negative low libido beta boys in this threat complaining about kids knowing what sex is at an early age, and yet would probably complain if those children then didn't go on to have sex responsibly at an older age when its too late to drum into their heads how important safe sex is and we end up with a ton of teen pregnancy and single mums.

Soldato
For what it's worth, and I hasten to add there are many facets of the Islamic religion I disagree with, these parents and their supporters have my full backing, and should be able to choose whether their very young children are taught about homosexuality and trans-gendarism in their schools. I hope they do not give up on their quest for the teaching of such matters to be under their own jurisdiction and not forced by a probably politically led ideology of a particular council. Good luck to those here that feel similarly!

How would you feel about a religion teaching students interracial marriage is wrong?

Soldato
Before they start having sex ideally, or it will be too late...

The primary "sex education" isn't really. It is more about relationships and anatomy. You really do need to be talking to girls about periods before they start having them!

Your talking to a lot of men in this thread who clearly have very little experience with women, so this is probably a new idea to them.

Soldato
So it turns out that the rabble of religious loons were basing a lot of their protest on fake news and only a few of them even had any connection to the school in the first place... the rest were just angry religious idiots:

Yeah, it's normally the case when these sorts of people turn up - they just want to kick off and will fabricate all sorts of nonsense, in order to make a song and dance.

As far as I can tell, the curriculum itself is mostly centered around the fact that LBGT people exist, and simply allows children to understand that it's a fact of life. The objective is that will give children a better understanding of the world they're growing up in, presumably this will also help tackle things like bullying.

When you actually look at the guidelines what's being taught is pretty benign, sensible and straightforward in nature.

However - when you listen to the rantings of these religious loons at the school gates, some of them are talking as though primary schools are teaching kids to go to parks late at night and have gay sex orgies, or whatever - but it's all just fake news.

And again, it's always interesting how the types that turn up with these sorts of views, are often from out of town and have nothing whatsoever to do with the local community.

Soldato
In an ideal world I would say around 8 or 9 when they have a fair grasp on the world around them. However it's a race against time these days.

Based on experience I would say the proliferation of p0rn and the the way young girls are exposed to sexualisation through pop culture is the biggest battle.

Caporegime
How would you feel about a religion teaching students interracial marriage is wrong?

The two aren't comparable. Marriage has, historically, been the union between a man and woman typically as a precursor to starting a family through procreation between the two of them.

All of that applies to mixed race couples which from a biological point of view isn't a problem (genetically there's some advantages due to greater variety).

None of that applies to same sex couples. Without modern medicine (or the odd threesome here and there) homosexual couples would not allow for the future continuation of the species. Biologically it's just pointless.

In the past when we didn't have modern medicine and religions effectively acted as a guide to the uneducated masses it made it clear homosexuality doesn't work in that respect. Hence is bad. Mkay.

Back
Top Bottom