Dell S3220DGF

Associate
Hi all does anyone own this monitor? and if so what are your thoughts

Just wanted to add i own a Dell U2715H which ive had a few years and its been excellent,i have a EVGA 1070 and i7 4790k. Do you guys personnally think going from the 27" to this 32" would be worthwhile?
Again cheers for any info/advice.

Regards Adger

Soldato
Was looking at this too, what are people's thoughts on 1440p @ 32"

For gaming it is far better in my opinion. Quite a bit more immersive than 27” even at a distance.

I’ve found the pixel density to be not quite as sharp as 27” but it’s not hugely noticeable especially for games. Even for normal usage it’s a minimal difference in terms of text etc

Soldato
For gaming it is far better in my opinion. Quite a bit more immersive than 27” even at a distance.

I’ve found the pixel density to be not quite as sharp as 27” but it’s not hugely noticeable especially for games. Even for normal usage it’s a minimal difference in terms of text etc
Hmm, may take the plunge, Dell has never let me down. It's that or the Samsung CHG70.

Associate
I just bought this monitor. Coming from my old BenQ XL2720Z it is a big step up in image quality.

I play mostly strategy and racing games, it seems to suit both very well. Motion is clear, colours are vibrant and the immersion level in games is really great. The 165hz refresh rate and freesync make the games play so smoothly.

Only have my old panel and my sons 24" Dell IPS screen to compare it to but I am happy with my purchase. I was used to a relatively low DPI with my old 27" 1080P screen so I have no issues with this 32" 2K screen.

Associate
For those who do buy this monitor here are a few things I noted from my experience with it.

10 bit colour and 165hz are both only available if connected via the displayport. HDMI offers 8 bit colour and 144hz.

The bundled displayport cable exhibited noticeable smearing and freesync flickering in some applications, particularly fast moving content. I replaced the cable with one from Amazon and both issues improved, smearing markedly so. Freesync flicker remains, fortunately with my 5700 XT pretty much all the games i play run the native refresh rate anyway so I can't really tell the different with it off! Hoping that a future driver or firmware update can resolve this however.

Colours are very vibrant and the screen has incredible pop in games like Rocket League. The curve is subtle but I like it coming from a flat screen.

Soldato
For those who do buy this monitor here are a few things I noted from my experience with it.

10 bit colour and 165hz are both only available if connected via the displayport. HDMI offers 8 bit colour and 144hz.

The bundled displayport cable exhibited noticeable smearing and freesync flickering in some applications, particularly fast moving content. I replaced the cable with one from Amazon and both issues improved, smearing markedly so. Freesync flicker remains, fortunately with my 5700 XT pretty much all the games i play run the native refresh rate anyway so I can't really tell the different with it off! Hoping that a future driver or firmware update can resolve this however.

Colours are very vibrant and the screen has incredible pop in games like Rocket League. The curve is subtle but I like it coming from a flat screen.

I don't understand how smearing can go away due to a change of displayport cable? perhaps @Baddass could enlighten me if he has the time or someone else with the technical knowledge.

Associate
I don't understand how smearing can go away due to a change of displayport cable? perhaps @Baddass could enlighten me if he has the time or someone else with the technical knowledge.

I always thought that unlike analog cables with digital cables they either worked or they didn't. All I know is that with identical settings in F1 2019 as an example the smearing I noticed on the yellow barriers at Melbourne is not as bad with the new cable.

Soldato
I always thought that unlike analog cables with digital cables they either worked or they didn't. All I know is that with identical settings in F1 2019 as an example the smearing I noticed on the yellow barriers at Melbourne is not as bad with the new cable.

That was also the impression I was under. I tried changing the DP cable from the one included with my 240hz monitor to a much longer deltaco cable and i'm finding it hard to believe that there is a difference but it seems like it. Before black text on a white page would smear alittle when scrolling which was always mind boggling to me. Now on the deltaco cable, the black trailing on the text is gone replaced with a sort of crumpling of the text, loosing some of its body to the white background. Less annoying but makes no sense to me and I wonder if something else is at play here cause a digital cable, to my knowledge, should not be able to affect the panel in this way. It should send a signal or fail, not alter it. Again I'm way in over my head here and hopefully someone with proper knowledge could enlighten us. Overdrive settings on the monitor makes no different, even off gives no black trailing on text anymore.. i'm having the biggest WTF moment right now.

Associate
You do actually get differences between cables. Its more whether the binary signal gets to the other end cleanly enough that the receiving end can tell whether it is a 1 or 0 that was sent. The receiving device is reading the voltage and set intervals and deciding whether its a 1 or 0 from that. But the voltage at the receiving end is what can get affected by quality of a cable and connectors.

In reality, digital signal waveforms are not precisely going from 0 to 5V in a perfect square edged step up and down motion. The reality is that there are curved slopes as it takes time for the signal voltage move and change between each state. So the digital signal is realistically starting to look like a partly curved waveform in places ... almost a bit like an analog signal would.

At lower resolutions, the frequency of data transfer is generally such that the period of change is mugh smaller than the period at which the data signal stays at between each interval. So its quite easy to read the signal at the other end at the timed intervals. So signal takes time to change and settle into a state .... receiver reads at the set interval, signal then moves onto changing to the next stage, settles, gets read again. As you ramp up the resolution and refresh rate, the timed intervals between reading the voltage begins to reduce considerably. So the signal has to change and hold steady in a shorter space of time.

What would happen if the cable began to affect how quickly the signal voltage can change between states ? ... what happens if it starts to add in a delay to how fast the signal changes ?

It is perfectly feasible that a cheap cable may not be of high enough quality to prevent such a signal degredation. The result could be that sometimes the waveform gets affected so that the change doesn't happen cleanly enough in time for the receiver to read the voltage at thte set interval and the receiver can make out what it should be. Imagine that the receiver is reading the voltage of the signal, but due to a poor cable, it hasn't quite gone fully from 0 to 1 ... what would the reading be ? assume a 0? assume a 1? But that might not always happen, so you'll still get a picture, just sometimes just bit of data missed / wrong.

A higher quality cable may prevent that sort of thing happening due to higher quality connectors and cable material and insulation.

Indeed, this sort of cable difference in a digital environment is well established and accepted ... for example:

Ethernet : Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6 ... well known that different cable quality can acheive different network speeds.
HDMI: A basic cheap HDMI cable may well do 1080p 60hz fine for the TV, but struggle and fail on 4K 60hz ... which is why you get the higher specced high speed cables. I have direct experience of this. A cheap cable initially connected at 4K fine and provided a picture ... but when started to be asked to play stuff, began to stutter and fail.

So overall, perhaps for high speed digital its better to think that signal quality is a bar to be reached, and once reached then there is nothing more to be gained by a higher spec cable, but a lower spec cable just might not be able to reach the bar in the first place.

Equally, its possible that a longer high quality cable will perform better than a shorter, lower quality cable just because it doesn't affect the signal going down it so much.

--------------------

Does any of that make sense ?

Last edited:
Soldato
You do actually get differences between cables. Its more whether the binary signal gets to the other end cleanly enough that the receiving end can tell whether it is a 1 or 0 that was sent. The receiving device is reading the voltage and set intervals and deciding whether its a 1 or 0 from that. But the voltage at the receiving end is what can get affected by quality of a cable and connectors.

In reality, digital signal waveforms are not precisely going from 0 to 5V in a perfect square edged step up and down motion. The reality is that there are curved slopes as it takes time for the signal voltage move and change between each state. So the digital signal is realistically starting to look like a partly curved waveform in places ... almost a bit like an analog signal would.

At lower resolutions, the frequency of data transfer is generally such that the period of change is mugh smaller than the period at which the data signal stays at between each interval. So its quite easy to read the signal at the other end at the timed intervals. So signal takes time to change and settle into a state .... receiver reads at the set interval, signal then moves onto changing to the next stage, settles, gets read again. As you ramp up the resolution and refresh rate, the timed intervals between reading the voltage begins to reduce considerably. So the signal has to change and hold steady in a shorter space of time.

What would happen if the cable began to affect how quickly the signal voltage can change between states ? ... what happens if it starts to add in a delay to how fast the signal changes ?

It is perfectly feasible that a cheap cable may not be of high enough quality to prevent such a signal degredation. The result could be that sometimes the waveform gets affected so that the change doesn't happen cleanly enough in time for the receiver to read the voltage at thte set interval and the receiver can make out what it should be. Imagine that the receiver is reading the voltage of the signal, but due to a poor cable, it hasn't quite gone fully from 0 to 1 ... what would the reading be ? assume a 0? assume a 1? But that might not always happen, so you'll still get a picture, just sometimes just bit of data missed / wrong.

A higher quality cable may prevent that sort of thing happening due to higher quality connectors and cable material and insulation.

Indeed, this sort of cable difference in a digital environment is well established and accepted ... for example:

Ethernet : Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6 ... well known that different cable quality can acheive different network speeds.
HDMI: A basic cheap HDMI cable may well do 1080p 60hz fine for the TV, but struggle and fail on 4K 60hz ... which is why you get the higher specced high speed cables. I have direct experience of this. A cheap cable initially connected at 4K fine and provided a picture ... but when started to be asked to play stuff, began to stutter and fail.

So overall, perhaps for high speed digital its better to think that signal quality is a bar to be reached, and once reached then there is nothing more to be gained by a higher spec cable, but a lower spec cable just might not be able to reach the bar in the first place.

Equally, its possible that a longer high quality cable will perform better than a shorter, lower quality cable just because it doesn't affect the signal going down it so much.

--------------------

Does any of that make sense ?

I think it does, going to read it a couple of times to make sure. But thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Associate
Maybe a simpler illustration...

Imagine that the 0 and 1 is represented like a white square and black square side by side, and the data is a chess piece that you move from one square to the other.

Then imagine that the receiver of the data is a camera above looking down that can see which square the chess piece is on and it takes a picture at set intervals to see which square the piece is on.

Now imagine that you are sending data, and the camera reads every 4 seconds for data. It would be easy to move the chess piece from square to square then leave it for the picture to be taken. It takes you a bit of time to move the piece but it can sit on the square for a bit before pic is taken.

What if you wanted to double the data rate? You could move and read every 2 seconds. Double it again, now every second.

Now you are getting to a stage where the time to move the chess piece is far less between each picture.

If you keep increasing the frequency of the picture being taken then you can get to a point where the picture is taken whilst you are still moving the piece to the square.

If you used a lighter easier to move piece and a faster hand then that would reduce the move time and so make the pictures better.

The cable is the chess piece and what moves it.

Associate
OP
I just bought this monitor. Coming from my old BenQ XL2720Z it is a big step up in image quality.

I play mostly strategy and racing games, it seems to suit both very well. Motion is clear, colours are vibrant and the immersion level in games is really great. The 165hz refresh rate and freesync make the games play so smoothly.

Only have my old panel and my sons 24" Dell IPS screen to compare it to but I am happy with my purchase. I was used to a relatively low DPI with my old 27" 1080P screen so I have no issues with this 32" 2K screen.

Thank you very much for your thoughts im very tempted. Much appreiciated.

Back
Top Bottom