• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 9 3950X review thread

Associate
I used PayPal Credit. It even failed once saying no payment method selected, and I still managed to get the #3rd CPU.
Thats one very fast transaction you did there. I put my cc details in, pushed to buy then it took me to the iframe page where it loads your bank page which i haven't seen in years, and guess what it asked to send me a text with a number to put in the iframe page. Lost a few seconds there and not only that but it still declined my transaction. I get it they are trying to protect you or whatever but what was the point in verifying with a pin that they asked me to use which they send to my phone and then fail the transaction..

Oh well worked for the better anyway managed to get the CPU for better price elsewhere and used paypal. Still waiting on it to be shipped but even if it comes still need to figure out my other parts. Mobo and Ram are driving me crazy.

Soldato
Making a start :)

IMG_1188.jpg

Associate
What are you looking at? :)
Wanted to get a 2x16gb 3600 kit that would be easy and plug and play withoh he chance of maybe doing 3733 or 3800 cpu willung of course. and so was looking at g.skill tridentz neo cl16 but the hynix one that has 16-19-19-39 I think timings as the b.die 16-16-16-36 one is stupidly priced. Problem with either is they are not easy to be found in the uk. Found the hynix one for 175 pounds though and the b.die for 320. Not sure if its worth it that much money but I would like to get as much out of the cpu as I can.

Then mobos are worse, as I mentioned in another post I struggle to find a mobo that has what I want. Originally I was looking at the x570-e. And now the chviii wifi since it dropped in price love the amount of fast usbs, but hate that they have 2 nvme and also my case is the c700p that has at the front a usb c and 4 usb3.0. The above mobos have 1 x usb3.0 header which means I wont have two working...

Then was looking at the msi unify and ace which fix the nvme issue and front usb, but the back usbs are low amount and 4 x sata without intel ethernet. Its all about compromises though and willing to compromise for the unify because I will use the wifi, not sure if I will use all sata as I will opt for nvme drives and possibly one hdd and one sata ssd. Love the position of the fan as I have huge gpus to use, but not sure if I need the unify or ace as the ace has also a heatpipe from the vrms to the fan. I need the mobo to be as silent as possible I hate noise.

Then I read all about how awesome the aorus mobos are but only about the elite pro and master, nothing about the ultra.

Long story short if I can avoid paying more than 300 I would prefer it.

Forgot also need to decide on coolers... haha all the above are abit off topic though lol.

Soldato
Forgot also need to decide on coolers... haha all the above are abit off topic though lol.

Made my headache just reading that.

So you want 32GB of fast RAM, but only want to use 2x 16GB DIMM's? I've got a set of el 'cheapo Crucial E-Die that does 3733 without any real issues just need to put a bit voltage through them, and the timings are pretty good too. Have a look at the E-die Crucial thread for more info's.

I assume you are wanting 3x M.2 slots by the look of things? Do you plan on using them all at once, or will you be using them over a period of time?

I understand the pain about the Wi-Fi choice, but surely a decent USB Wi-Fi 6 adapter is maybe a better option?

Associate
Made my headache just reading that.
Sorry typed that on my phone.

Yes 3 nvme, i got already a 1.92tb mp510 bought and ready to be used, but ideally want to get another one once the 4.0 versions are more and cheaper in the near future and have future proofing a bit to put a 3rd one years later.

I keep my pc long so future proofing is important. For my q9550 which I still use i straggled with stupid usb3 expansion cards that weren't working correctly for example so anything i can have integrated on the mobo I would appreciate, hence why i want wifi on the mobo. I will be using 2x vega 56 for xfire so not much space in the pci express area i believe haha. Not sure if the case fits them i hope it does.

Associate
We are hopeful for some tomorrow but its a bad time for deliveries with our warehouse being so busy over Black Friday, so worse case Monday/Tuesday but were hoping for 10-20 units. :)

Cheers Gibbo, still have to decide on motherboard for it anyway.

Could you recommend any deals for an x570 motherboard or maybe hint any any deals coming tomorrow.

Associate
There's a meme or a reddit snapshot from Linus (LTT) hinting that the latest threadripper shows that AMD haven't finished with wiping the noses of the competition into the floor. 'Money no object' gamers will be VERY interested. Maybe the high end gamer/professional workspace becomes a grey area.

Again, re-goolged, but can't find where I saw it.

Thinking about it, LINUS meme coulda been some photoshop trickery. But seeing as OCUK guys have been testing already, maybe where there's smoke......

They were both right. I didnt expect it, but in modern demanding games, both TR 3960X and TR 3970X are faster than a 9900K (HardwareUnboxed and Guru3D reviews).

Soldato
They were both right. I didnt expect it, but in modern demanding games, both TR 3960X and TR 3970X are faster than a 9900K (HardwareUnboxed and Guru3D reviews).

It seems crazy but validated in multiple channels.

No games are using 24 or 32 cores. The only reason they are that high up in performance is the massive L3 cache sizes. And this is good news for next year - the large L3 cache reduces latency, and the goal of next year's Zen 3 is to reduce latency even more along with extra IPC. You can fully expect AMD to give Intel a hiding in gaming.

But buying a 3970x today for gaming is like buying a Titan for gaming.

For next year - if what we know to be fact and with what has been rumored is true - then I'd not be surprised if AMD can beat the 9900k by 10-15% in gaming.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
It seems crazy but validated in multiple channels.

No games are using 24 or 32 cores. The only reason they are that high up in performance is the massive L3 cache sizes.

But buying a 3970x for gaming is like buying a Titan for gaming.

yet no one believed me when I was sharing said results on here last week.

Soldato
It shows how much untapped performance is still under the hood just because AMD has relatively high latency - but it's getting better every generation and for next year's Zen 3 latency is a key aspect they want to resolve completely.

if they drop latency again next year next year plus 10% IPC, nom nom goodbye Intel no one will bye their stuff for gaming because AMD will be the Kingmaker

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice. Is that a predator I see up top? Going to put the gpu in the same loop?

Predator? Is that one of those EK starter kits? No, it's an EK rad, though. The bottom rad is an XE running in push-pull. 2080Ti will be on the same loop.

how reflective is that silver line running up the side? I'm considering this board but I don't want light reflecting off a mirror on the motherboard

Hardly at all

Back
Top Bottom