We are getting FTTP in our new house what should i expect.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I have FTTC VDSL ~75Mb/s, pings of around 11-12MS.

My friend had FTTP ~300Mb/s just up the road, his pings were around 10-11 MS.
With FTTC, your connection to the wider world is virtually all fibre already so the improvement to raw ping from switching to FTTP will always be marginal on tests and imperceptible in the real world. The actual benefits are the throughput and stability, but whether those are worth paying really depends on the household. I wouldn't put my mother's house on FTTP since a dirt cheap ADSL line will do for sending emails but I download and play FPS so I have it.

Soldato
OP
well im hoping i get better pings than 18-20+ as that would be horrible for me as im a gamer..
with my current address with fttc and copper the rest of the way i get pings of around 12.

from what i have read Zen are pretty decent isp and they also provide me with a static ip address though not sure what i would need that or use that or other than making webpages lol

With Zen they have this in there product information ? Auto compensation - What is this not sure what this is ? or means ?

Soldato
Depends where you live I guess.
What do you get when you ping 1.1.1.1 from an ethernet connection?

20-22ms :rolleyes:

The response is consistent from both 8.8.8.8 and bbc.co.uk from my main PC, a Ubuntu VM and the console of my router. I know for a solid fact though that I am receiving an 8ms penalty for having interleaving on my line as when I force it down onto 50/10 (using xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 50000 10000 100000) on my HG612 I tend to get interleaving removed a couple of days after and the PING improves by 8ms.

This is confirmed by running an xdslcmd info --stats and next to D: it is 1 for off and any other number (higher is deeper) for interleaving on.

TL;DR FTTC sucks when you don't get 80/20 with no errors.

Associate
Depends where you live I guess.

What do you get when you ping 1.1.1.1 from an ethernet connection?
Absolutely where you live

Though through the years it started off about 40ms on adsl then 20ish on fttc to now 15ms to london and 11ms to 1.1.1.1 (which is in manchester? that is my recommend server for all speedtests)

Soldato
OP
8814917019.png

good enough for me ;) though ping is just the same as when i was with talktalk :/ lol must phone zen and see if i can get that ping lowered :)
apart from that im extremely happy...

Back
Top Bottom