Hillsborough police chief David Duckenfield cleared of manslaughter

Soldato
This is extremely obvious in any documentary on the matter.
you need to watch better documentaries dude.
however, i did always find it strange that the inquiry concluded fans were 100% blameless. i'd have thought at least some, even a small proportion, should have had a measure of blame directed at them but given the utterly disgusting behaviour and attempted coverup by the police in the aftermath of the disaster i'm not surprised there was somewhat of a 'whitewash' in the other direction.

Caporegime
you need to watch better documentaries dude.
however, i did always find it strange that the inquiry concluded fans were 100% blameless. i'd have thought at least some, even a small proportion, should have had a measure of blame directed at them but given the utterly disgusting behaviour and attempted coverup by the police in the aftermath of the disaster i'm not surprised there was somewhat of a 'whitewash' in the other direction.

And that's my point. After the complete mess initially and the reaction of those with an emotional interest they will never apportion blame against some of the fans.

Man of Honour
Because in this case it clearly was down to the police being at fault, as proven by the in depth inquest.

All jury judgements whether in a criminal or coroners court are subjective. They are the consensus of feeling in a room about the evidence on a given day. Juries make mistakes like any other group of people and to suggest that because one jury had a verdict a particular way means that it's an objective fact that something happened in a particular way is nonsense. That equally applies to both verdicts.

Permabanned
It's hardly like dukenfield has 'got off' with anything though is it? Assuming he isn't an emotionless psychopath one would think not a day goes by when he is able to forget what his decisions contributed to. Yes his suffering cannot be compared to the victims and their families but I expect there has been very little joy in his life for the past 30+ years. He is probably pretty much a broken shell of his former self so what good would locking him up ultimately do? Perhaps it would make the victim's families feel better but that does not make it the right thing to do.

Permabanned
British establishment in "mistakes were made" and that they've "learned from those mistakes" and that "this can never be allowed to happen again" but nobody will ever be jailed for it shocker.

Caporegime
Mob justice anyone?

/not a call for or enthusiasm for action, but damn... Justice really doesn't deliver in this country, just more fuel for vigilantism and a general breakdown of the social contract if **** like this continues.

Soldato
From the documentaries I have watched the whole incident was clearly caused by a series of events.
I always found that it odd that the fans were deemed to hold zero blame. Bevvied up Scousers showing up late without tickets and pushing at the turnstiles, then running in like manics were at least a contributor to the awful accident that followed. This is extremely obvious in any documentary on the matter.

No doubt that David Duckenfield holds some blame, but I was 1 year old when said event occurred. They really need to let this one go.

I have friends who were there that day...one had to jump to the upper tier to avoid being crushed. He still refuses to talk about it...why should he and others let it go?

He wasnt killed and it still cuts him up to this day.

People really need to read the inquest before saying people need to "let it go".

Soldato
The bar for conviction for this crime is set incredibly high and the jury felt that the evidence didn’t meet this standard. That doesn’t absolve him of blame and neither has he said he wasn’t to blame he eventually admitted that during the enquiry.

I’d have been much more interested in seeing him charged and jailed for some sort of misconduct in a public office relating to his lies and cover up. Opening the gate was a genuine mistake lying about it and blaming the victims was a disgrace.

Man of Honour
This was discussed at length in the previous thread. Football supporters were treated like cattle in those days and used to being herded into pens.

Have to agree with that. When I started going to matches at St Jame's Park back in the early to mid 80s, I wouls either be in what is now the Milburn Stand or the Gallowgate end and the crush and surges were a regular occurrence. It was bags of fun back in the day but I think about it today and it was potentially life threatening.

Man of Honour
Mob justice anyone?

/not a call for or enthusiasm for action, but damn... Justice really doesn't deliver in this country, just more fuel for vigilantism and a general breakdown of the social contract if **** like this continues.

Are you privvy to details that the jury was not ? I doubt they found David Duckenfield not guilty for ****s and giggles.

Justice has delivered in that he has been found not guilty albeit not justice in your eyes.

Caporegime
Are you privvy to details that the jury was not ? I doubt they found David Duckenfield not guilty for ****s and giggles.

Justice has delivered in that he has been found not guilty albeit not justice in your eyes.

Its 2019, in a devolving country, so i simply wont be surprised if someone took their own justice and not care about the consequences.

Caporegime
Is this a serious post? Do you really think they had a choice!!?

The only person who had a choice was Duckenfield.

Of course it's serious, you should be asking baz that about his post! Do you think he has a choice in the scenario I'm posting about?

Your final statement is wrong. Many people bad choices and made the wrong ones.

Caporegime
Of course it's serious, you should be asking baz that about his post! Do you think he has a choice in the scenario I'm posting about?

Your final statement is wrong. Many people bad choices and made the wrong ones.

When you're life is at risk, you're options are limited by the person pushing behind you, the people to your sides and the people in front of you blocking exits when in a crowd... there is little point in blaming the victims for the stupidity that comes from groupthink.

It is and always will be a management problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-disasters-happen-and-how-they-can-be-avoided

Back
Top Bottom