• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 6600K or wait?

Soldato
These two tables show that the best gaming CPUs are the Ryzen 9 3900X with 87.5/79.3 FPS 1%/0.1% lows in RDR2 and the Ryzen 9 3950X with its super high 1%/0.1% lows in AC.

Worth mentioning is the super low 6.3 FPS 0.1% low on the i7-9700K and 17.1 FPS 0.1% low on the i5-9600K - those are very poor gaming chips in the RDR2, specifically.

That's one game, 99% of stream library is intel win unfortunately as 70% aren't AAA titles and only 5% of those AAA titles were made after Ryzen came along etc .

But beat gaming CPU are 9600k and 3600 for pricing as extra £130+ moving to 8 core can get a better tier GPU etc. Most builds average £$800-1k :)

Odd seeing you prise AMD again ....

Associate
OP
You can go and wait for a 3950 or just get a 9900K. Just informing you that Ryzen 4000 is around the corner and even B450 boards will work. Got a R5 3600 myself on a cheap B350 paired with a 5700XT. If you have a 2080 Ti, then the R5 3600 will not be the best place holder. Maybe a R7 3800 at less than £400. But £400 for just a cpu to be paired with a 2080?

Yeah I understand what you mean. I didn't intend to be derogatory about your suggestion or anything (if that's how I come across) - I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

The reviews of the MSI Tomahawk are pretty great everywhere I can find them tbh which is nice considering the price is so attractive.

Would a R7 3800 really be such overkill for a RTX2080?

My plan was to upgrade CPU/RAM/MBOARD within the next 2-3 months and then get a new GPU towards the end of next year so hopefully I will then be set for the forseeable future. I suppose doing it this way I'm saving £200 now by getting a 3600, and leaving myself the option to upgrade the CPU again easily after I get a new GPU, if I need to. Did I just answer my own question? :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Get a 3600 with a X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite which can be had for cheap if you shop around and then upgrade the CPU next year when the 4000 series is out.

Don’t listen to anyone banging on about a 3600 not being enough, you will be GPU limited at 1440p not CPU limited. Besides that is why you can upgrade to a 4000 series CPU later if needed.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I understand what you mean. I didn't intend to be derogatory about your suggestion or anything (if that's how I come across) - I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

The reviews of the MSI Tomahawk are pretty great everywhere I can find them tbh which is nice considering the price is so attractive.

Would a R7 3800 really be such overkill for a RTX2080?

My plan was to upgrade CPU/RAM/MBOARD within the next 2-3 months and then get a new GPU towards the end of next year so hopefully I will then be set for the forseeable future. I suppose doing it this way I'm saving £200 now by getting a 3600, and leaving myself the option to upgrade the CPU again easily after I get a new GPU, if I need to. Did I just answer my own question? :D

Your GPU is plenty fast. The R7 3800 or 3700 (cheaper) paired with that gpu is well balanced. But, spending that much as oppose to the R5 3600, which can easily drive a 2080 and the possibility of upgrading to Ryzen 4000, makes it less appealing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Permabanned
But beat gaming CPU are 9600k and 3600 for pricing

This is false economy. You save some money but receive increased risk of micro-stutter everywhere, and much reduced longevity. My experience says avoid them like the plague.

Wait till January, intel is about to release 10000 series of new CPUs with more cores and enabled hyper-threading across the range. Might force AMD to change its product lineup and reduce the pricing.

Also, later in 2020, 4000 series Ryzens built with 7nm EUV process node are expected, too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. He keeps on digging :D

Everyone says one thing, he says the opposite and expects people to take him seriously. His experience comes from a laptop by the way with a CPU inside that does not even have half the grunt a 3600 has.

I actually have a 3600 and granted I only play at 4K, but even on the odd occasion where I have used resolution scaling this cpu has not even been used 50%. Most games I see single digit cpu utilisation. But yeah, 6 cores is not enough... So much nonsense.

Associate
OP
I actually have a 3600 and granted I only play at 4K, but even on the odd occasion where I have used resolution scaling this cpu has not even been used 50%. Most games I see single digit cpu utilisation. But yeah, 6 cores is not enough... So much nonsense.

What kind of games are you playing with that performance?

I tend to play single player games only. My main driving force for the upgrade is to play games like Red Dead 2, Half Life Alyx and Cyberpunk without any issues.

Permabanned

I tend to play single player games only. My main driving force for the upgrade is to play games like Red Dead 2, Half Life Alyx and Cyberpunk without any issues.

You won't be able to play RDR2 at 4K maxed out. Either with reduced settings or better at 1080p.

People here like fellow member @humbug just recently upgraded his Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 3600. Why? In only 2 years?

Look, I bought a top of the line intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 for $350ish in Q3 2008.
In 2011-2012 it already began to show its age - bottlenecking the graphics card and appearance of micro-stutter and stutter.

So, when you buy so expensive CPU, you expect a little longer longevity but no...
So because of this, just be clever and invest in more cores and more hyper-threading, simultaneous multi-threading.

Associate
You won't be able to play RDR2 at 4K maxed out. Either with reduced settings or better at 1080p.

People here like fellow member @humbug just recently upgraded his Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 3600. Why? In only 2 years?

Look, I bought a top of the line intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 for $350ish in Q3 2008.
In 2011-2012 it already began to show its age - bottlenecking the graphics card and appearance of micro-stutter and stutter.

So, when you buy so expensive CPU, you expect a little longer longevity but no...
So because of this, just be clever and invest in more cores and more hyper-threading, simultaneous multi-threading.

R5 3600 is expensive? You are talking about a 6 core cpu getting obsolete soon cos it does not have SMT/HT. The R5 3600 can easily drive a 2080. The reviewers paired it to a 2080 Ti.

EDIT: OP, If mostly single player, then you don't need that many cores.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

It will play those games just fine in my opinion as you will be GPU limited way before being CPU limited and extra cores are unlikely to help. I also like you play single player games and intend to play Cyberpunk and Red dead 2 at some point.

Just do yourself a favour ignore what 4K8K is saying. He does not care about what is best for you, just wants to push his opinion on people no matter what their needs are and ignores evidence shown to him.

Had you said you are a twitch 1080p gamer that likes super high fps I would be telling you a 9900K is your best option though bearing in mind it is riddled with security issues. At 1440p and above you are simply GPU limited, assuming you do not like to play your games on low settings but on High/Ultra.

My recommendation is if you do not want to wait then get a 3600 now with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite which will mean you can easily put in a 4900X later if you want without any hassle. Another option is to get a 3600 with a super cheap mobo and wait for AM5 boards to come out in 2021 also by then you can see what intel has to offer.

Last edited:

TrM

TrM

Associate

Everyone will give you differnt advice on these things. But a balanced system is allways whats best And going around you graphic card is allways ideal for pc gaming. At 1440p in rdr2 your gpu will be pushed to its limit for a balance of graphic goodness and framerate It is not a easy game to run graphicly. And the only time problems start to arise is when your way above 100fps. But at 1440p with a good balance of graphic options you wont be close to limits of the game engine to casue you issues.

When you graphic card is pushed to it limit and your gpu bound for framerates the cpu won't matter as much A 3600 would suite your needs. you also do have a upgrade path next year to another generation of cpu's which will be faster per core then current ones. But you have to think above all else what is right for now As each eyar something faster will allways come out its how technology moves forward.

whilst im sure there are a lot of 3600 owners who can give you betetr idea on how the cpu runs I can only give advice from my 3900x Which in a lot of games isn't that much faster then the 3600 i just have a clock speed boost advantage over them.

im not going to bother with the rest of the post 4k And im not talking for @humbug But his upgrade patch makes more sence today they buying a 1700x . He brought a 1600x lets say 200 pounds and 3600 for 200 pounds thats 400 pounds spent in 2 years on cpu's lets say he keeped the same mobo becouse he could. Now your advice is to buy more core and more threads becouse it will last longer. But a 3600 is a lot faster gaming chip the the 1700x is now and he hasn't spent all that much more for 2 cpu's vs 1 1700x and today his gaming experiance is faster then if he would have spent 340 pounds back in 2017. Tell me how your experaince and advice Is against The facts?[/QUOTE]

Permabanned
im not going to bother with the rest of the post 4k And im not talking for @humbug But his upgrade patch makes more sence today they buying a 1700x . He brought a 1600x lets say 200 pounds and 3600 for 200 pounds thats 400 pounds spent in 2 years on cpu's lets say he keeped the same mobo becouse he could. Now your advice is to buy more core and more threads becouse it will last longer. But a 3600 is a lot faster gaming chip the the 1700x is now and he hasn't spent all that much more for 2 cpu's vs 1 1700x and today his gaming experiance is faster then if he would have spent 340 pounds back in 2017. Tell me how your experaince and advice Is against The facts?

But Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 5 3600 are different performance tiers.
So, sometimes it's normal that the new generation mid-range is as fast as the old generation high-end.

Ryzen 5 1600 -> Ryzen 5 2600 -> Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 7 1700 -> Ryzen 7 2700 -> Ryzen 7 3700X
Ryzen 7 1800X -> Ryzen 7 2700X -> Ryzen 9 3900X
Ryzen 9 3950X remains a tier of its own. With ETA January 2020.

Just in time to combat Intel Core 10000 series.

R5 3600 is expensive?

Core 2 Quad Q9450 12MB cache for $350 was expensive.

A cheaper Ryzen 5 3600 will behave worse in the mid or long term.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Inb4 4K posts 50 links and screenshots of something irrelevant for a moot point :D:D

Back on topic though, I would suggest a 3900x or a 3700x depending on your budget. If your budget is really low, then maybe a 7700k and overclock that (depending on what mobo you have rn)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
im not going to bother with the rest of the post 4k And im not talking for @humbug But his upgrade patch makes more sence today they buying a 1700x . He brought a 1600x lets say 200 pounds and 3600 for 200 pounds thats 400 pounds spent in 2 years on cpu's lets say he keeped the same mobo becouse he could. Now your advice is to buy more core and more threads becouse it will last longer. But a 3600 is a lot faster gaming chip the the 1700x is now and he hasn't spent all that much more for 2 cpu's vs 1 1700x and today his gaming experiance is faster then if he would have spent 340 pounds back in 2017. Tell me how your experaince and advice Is against The facts?
No matter what you say he will not understand. As you mentioned the main reason the 3900X may get more fps is because of higher clocking cores, not because of more cores.

Inb4 4K posts 50 links and screenshots of something irrelevant for a moot point :D:D

Back on topic though, I would suggest a 3900x or a 3700x depending on your budget. If your budget is really low, then maybe a 7700k and overclock that (depending on what mobo you have rn)
He will use 720p and 1080p examples when he knows OP uses 1440p. He will do this to try and make his point not realising he is embarrassing himself.

Back
Top Bottom