Tech guys- What is your electricity bill?

Associate
umm let me re-read my bill again:

Period :25/02/19 until 31/02/19
My Reading: 28172
Estimated: 28510
Electricity united used: 338 kWh
kWh rate: 16.02

Period: 01/04/19 until 28/05/19
My Reading: 28999
Estimated: 28510
Electricity units used: 489 kWh
kWh rate: 18.24p
Ignoring the estimated readings and just using your accurate readings, that shows a usage of 827 kWh used between 25/02/19 and 28/05/19. That's an average of 8.99 kWh per day over the 92 days.

It's more concerning your bill shows a date of 31/02/19? I'm pretty sure February doesn't have that many days.

Soldato
OP
Ignoring the estimated readings and just using your accurate readings, that shows a usage of 827 kWh used between 25/02/19 and 28/05/19. That's an average of 8.99 kWh per day over the 92 days.

It's more concerning your bill shows a date of 31/02/19? I'm pretty sure February doesn't have that many days.
ahh crap a typo my end i meant 31/03/19

Soldato
We use between 10 and 14kWh per day, so around £40-45/month. There's only two of us, but I have plenty of smart home tech and a server/networking equipment. I don't waste energy but at the same time I'm not fussed about counting the pennies. It costs what it costs to have a functional and nice environment.

Turning off just one of your PC monitors to save energy, lol. If these costs are causing the OP and his OH to struggle to put food on the table, then words should be had. If she's moaning for the sake of it, then... words should be had :p

Soldato
OP
We use between 10 and 14kWh per day, so around £40-45/month. There's only two of us, but I have plenty of smart home tech and a server/networking equipment. I don't waste energy but at the same time I'm not fussed about counting the pennies. It costs what it costs to have a functional and nice environment.

Turning off just one of your PC monitors to save energy, lol. If these costs are causing the OP and his OH to struggle to put food on the table, then words should be had. If she's moaning for the sake of it, then... words should be had :p
Yea she just moaning for the sake of it really. we aint struggling to put food on the table. if we was i wouldnt have this type of gear in the first place lol

Soldato
Yea she just moaning for the sake of it really. we aint struggling to put food on the table. if we was i wouldnt have this type of gear in the first place lol

Right. So rather than ******* about sitting in the freezing cold using one monitor when you're working from home, perhaps ask her to please think rationally :p

Soldato
Do you tend to "get what you pay for" in terms of electricity provider or are they all the same with just a different logo?

Electrical suppliers are a bit of a confusing subject, the local DNO supply your electric and deal with all the infrastructure and supply your meter property number. A supplier is kind of the middle man who takes a cut of the money and sets your rates, they can occasionally own a power plant. But when you change a supplier nothing anywhere physically changes, just your tariff and bills. Smart meters are not my cup of tea due to telemetry I.e usage patterns and possibly being able to tell who is at home due to power draw etc... but you may get a better rate, the companies most certainly aren’t doing it for your benefit though.

Soldato
Pfft - I am with Bulb and only have a mid terraced. The house is empty most of the day and my average is £99 pm. I think the scallys next door are tapping my Energy .

On a more serious note I can’t see anything that would eat Electricity all our appliances are less than a year old and AAA rated computers are never on so at a bit of a loss ( and depressed now having read this thread)

Could it be prices differ for different areas around the country. Our appliance are all quite old, 10+ year tumble drier that the Mrs uses all year around!

Caporegime
£130 month dual fuel. Leccy is somewhere in the region of £40 a month. Maybe need to get some of these LED bulbs. Our bedroom has an led light fixing as we redid it in the summer and is very bright and I guess cheap to run. 4 bed detached with TV's in every room and two computers. Daughter's on most nights. 2 adults and 2 children.

Associate
We pay £39 PCM on DD for electric on an economy 7 tariff. Our heating is on oil here which we use around 2500L a year, costs vary as I tend to buy at the end of summer when it's cheaper @39p/l

Our average electric use is 476W over the last 12 months

I work from home so usually have the heating on in the background in the room I'm in, although it's barely on. TV in the evenings. Cooking, hot water and heating is all done on oil.

Soldato
Going to vary quiet abit tbh where you live. Are you a flat in which the heating is all via electric (water and storage heaters)?

Going to change the answer vs those who use electric and gas. Usually more expensive to heat both water and home using electric only.

I was paying around £65 on average in 2 bed flat on all electric with lowest tariff I could get when working out my habits.

Electric heating is always going to be massively more expensive - about 3 x more expensive per kWh. Unfortunately, developers love electric heating because it's cheaper than installing a central heating system.

Anyway, who cares about fuel poverty?

Soldato
‘Heat’ devices use far more than any consumer electronics. The vast majority of youse daily usage will come from ovens, hobs(if electric), washer, dryer and dish washer.

Next up are things like kettle, toasters, hair dryers, AC hoovers etc.

Next up are things like consumer electronics and last is things like lights.

People upgrade lights first because they are cheap and you can get a big relative gain but the amount of energy they actually use is pretty low compared to an oven.

The best bang for the buck of cutting bills(and carbon) is insulation.

Soldato
Looking over a 39 day period between two meter readings it's 291kwh (avg 7.5kwh a day). Haven't had a bill yet, between that and gas it won't be much as our gas use isn't so high with the fire going and free supply of off cuts.

Associate
I couldn't tell you our Kw/h but we use around £80 a month, maybe a little bit less.
There are 4 adults, we have computers, consoles & tv running every day, washing machine / tumble dryer both running 3/4 times a week and an electric hob & oven which gets used every day, plus loads of different appliances, and gadgets through out the day / week, so not bad overall.

Associate
My electric is £37 per month 1 bed flat ,av gear seems to hammer the electric especially the receiver and also the desktop pc under load, i had 18, 40 watt bulbs in the 4 ceiling lights swapped to 6 watt leds that saved on the bill.

fish tank heater hammers the leccy too in winter

Associate
Can anyone give me some advice, I think we're paying too much for Gas/Electric, 4 bedroom house.

From the most recent bill, today.

Electric (EDF Energy) has come to £210 for the period of the last 63 days, usage 985 kWh, 17.02p per kWh and standing charge at 26.85p per day.

Gas (British Gas) has come to £197 for the period of the last 73 days, usage 5338 kWh, 3.115p per kWh and standing charge at 29.195p per day.

Should I consider moving? What suppliers are recommended? Is the price reasonable or too high? Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom