• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 9 3950X review thread

Soldato
Nice. Is that a predator I see up top? Going to put the gpu in the same loop?

No just a normal EK XE rad.
Predator has pump and tiny tank on the top. Also, the significant majority of the Predator units have died by now 3+ years late, like mine.
The filter disintegrates after 2-3 years of usage getting chewed by the pump converting the liquid to mud and requires the whole unit to be thrown away as it impossible to dismantle and clean properly.

Associate
My predator lasted all of 5 mins lol.leaky hose were it fitted to the rad and the cpu block also had a leak.total fail but overclockers were great and refunded me within an hour of getting it back to them

Associate
I have a 3950x sitting here - after the initial excitement of getting one, I’m starting to wonder if the 3900x would be a better bet, as I want to stay on a b450 ITX in a ghost s1 case.

I’ve read the TDP is the same - but that it achieves this by effectively underclocking compared to the 3900x. If you get it up to the same clock speeds on all cores, TDP shoots up 40%.

Is that right?

Soldato
Predator? Is that one of those EK starter kits? No, it's an EK rad, though. The bottom rad is an XE running in push-pull. 2080Ti will be on the same loop.

No just a normal EK XE rad.
Predator has pump and tiny tank on the top. Also, the significant majority of the Predator units have died by now 3+ years late, like mine.
The filter disintegrates after 2-3 years of usage getting chewed by the pump converting the liquid to mud and requires the whole unit to be thrown away as it impossible to dismantle and clean properly.

Ok thanks chaps. I did actually own one and I recognised the vardar fans in the image. I wasn't paying enough attention though as the black hoses and quick connect valve would've been obvious.

Mine started leaking and I got a refund in the end.

Soldato
I have a 3950x sitting here - after the initial excitement of getting one, I’m starting to wonder if the 3900x would be a better bet, as I want to stay on a b450 ITX in a ghost s1 case.

I’ve read the TDP is the same - but that it achieves this by effectively underclocking compared to the 3900x. If you get it up to the same clock speeds on all cores, TDP shoots up 40%.

Is that right?
Have a look here to see if your B450 VRM's are up to the job for a 3950X https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr- zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

I can't see any mATX boards that can adequately cope with a 3950X without some major airflow over the VRM's.

Associate
Soldato
My predator lasted all of 5 mins lol.leaky hose were it fitted to the rad and the cpu block also had a leak.total fail but overclockers were great and refunded me within an hour of getting it back to them

The 2015 models were problematic. The 2016 didn't leak and had it for 3 1/2 years until the filter disintegrated and got chewed by the pump.
It was great piece of kit considering the amount of changes did to it. Z370I Strix monoblock, several graphic card blocks (Nano, FuryX, 1080, Vega Nitro, Vega Ref) many non EK also but using the plugs.
But got annoyed when died :/

Soldato
Ah I see. I’ve read conflicting reports. Some say the VRMs on basic boards can do it. I just need the processing power, I don’t need all the other features.

To an extent they do they job yes but you wouldn’t exactly call it extracting maximum from the CPU so potentially you’re right saying maybe a 3900 would have been about the limit.

Active cooling on the board I have is virtually inaudible by the way.

Soldato

Is that right?
I would gladly take it off your hands

Associate
The 2015 models were problematic. The 2016 didn't leak and had it for 3 1/2 years until the filter disintegrated and got chewed by the pump.
It was great piece of kit considering the amount of changes did to it. Z370I Strix monoblock, several graphic card blocks (Nano, FuryX, 1080, Vega Nitro, Vega Ref) many non EK also but using the plugs.
But got annoyed when died :/
yea it was the 2015 model

Associate

Is that right?

3950x and b450 ITX might screams issues. It really depends if the extra cores are much for you to benefit from, and if not than a 3900x is more ideal. It's the age old questions of more cores vs freq.

OcUK Staff
Guys

Fantastic news 22pc 3950X have just landed which is probably more than any competitor got and are being booked in so should ship today but no promises because our warehouse is stacked out with Black Friday madness.

Last edited:
Associate
Guys

Fantastic news 22pc 3950X have just landed which is probably more than any competitor got and are being booked in so should ship today but no promises because our warehouse is stacked out with Black Friday madness.
just got my order shipped status on my account.awesome gibbo

Back
Top Bottom