New system for £1k but anything worth keeping from old rig ?

Permabanned
Hi,

Not really had much time for gaming over the last few years so I am currently sitting with the following

8GB RAM
Z^* Extreme 4 Gen 3
AMD R9 390
Windows 7
OCZ Z Series 850W
Corsair H100
256GB SSD
1 TB Hard Drive
Corsair 600T Case

Would like a new system (ideally with smaller case) that would run games at good rates and would have £1k available to spend.

Is there anything worth keeping or am I better just starting again ?

What would be my best option for around £1k currently ?

Thanks

OcUK Staff
Hey Angus,

I think you are in need of an upgrade, you could keep your storage options but i would recommend replacing the other componenets.

Would you be looking to build yourself and would you need a copy of windows in your budget?

Permabanned
OP
Happy to build it myself and I would need Windows factored in. Really struggling with storage space on the current set up.

OcUK Staff
I came up with this build, its still missing a case and a copy of windows but has room in the budget.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £889.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Should be able to play modern titles on high settings with above 60 fps. You could consider the 5700xt if you are looking to upgrade to a 1440p monitor in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for your help.

Just another few questions

Would the stock cooler / thermal paste be okay?

What would the smallest case size without it causing heat issues?

What would be you recommended for an additional hard drive?

I take it there is no real requirement for a separate sound card these days?

OcUK Staff
Would the stock cooler / thermal paste be okay?
The coolers come pre pasted i believe, they are okay coolers and would be fine to use however aftermarket coolers are more efficient and quieter.

What would the smallest case size without it causing heat issues?
Any case that fits an ATX motherboard should be fine, its more down to individual case design and airflow than overall size, i would have a look at a few reviews for ones you like the look of.

What would be you recommended for an additional hard drive?
You could either opt for a SSD or a traditional HDD it really depends on how much space you want in your price range.

I take it there is no real requirement for a separate sound card these days?[/QUOTE]
Just an available PCIe slot on the motherboard.

Soldato
I wouldn't opt for that Kolink PSU.

Total: £139.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Both of these units are much better quality and have much longer warranties, in the case of the Leadex III it even costs less. The Kolink unit is average at best in performance, and a 3 year warranty is ridiculously poor given that the competition at that price point offer anywhere between 5-10 years.

Soldato
I wouldn't opt for that Kolink PSU.

Total: £139.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Both of these units are much better quality and have much longer warranties, in the case of the Leadex III it even costs less. The Kolink unit is average at best in performance, and a 3 year warranty is ridiculously poor given that the competition at that price point offer anywhere between 5-10 years.

This .

I wouldnt opt for any Kolink PSU.

Permabanned
OP
Just ready to buy the system and the 750 Corsair PSU has jumped back up to normal price :mad:

Would the 550w mentioned have enough power for 5700XT as it does recommend 600w ?

Associate
As the 550w PSU is a high quality unit then yes it would be fine to run a 3600 and 5700xt but as Josh mentioned, its best to run slightly more wattage than you need for efficency.
I think i put the 750w white corsair unit in a spec this morning before the price changed.
The 650w black version is £10 more than the 750w was and is still a good quality unit with 10 year warrenty and it keeps it modular :)

Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Back
Top Bottom