• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 6600K or wait?

Caporegime
Permabanned
At least 8% IPC and +200Mhz vs Zen 2, that looks like about 4.5Ghz all core out of the box and at least 25% higher IPC than Coffeelake, a 9900K would have to run at least 5.6Ghz to keep up.

Zen 3 will go against Comet Lake S. Against 10-core 10900K.

Permabanned
^^^ lol Only IF AMD correctly plays its cards. It will be hard for them if they repeat the product lineup and Ryzen 7 is 8-core max.

TrM

TrM

Associate
^^^ lol Only IF AMD correctly plays its cards. It will be hard for them if they repeat the product lineup and Ryzen 7 is 8-core max.

Can you reallly see amd and intel being anything other then

i5 6/12 cpu ryzen 5 6/12
i7 8/16 cpu ryzen 7 8/16
i9 10/20 ryzen 9 12/24 and 16/32

intel need to up the core count amd don't amd are head in that reguard amd need clockspeed to counter intel's move and if amd do have a 8% ipc and 200mhz clockspeed amd have took another large step forward

Permabanned
Can you reallly see amd and intel being anything other then

i5 6/12 cpu ryzen 5 6/12
i7 8/16 cpu ryzen 7 8/16
i9 10/20 ryzen 9 12/24 and 16/32

intel need to up the core count amd don't amd are head in that reguard amd need clockspeed to counter intel's move and if amd do have a 8% ipc and 200mhz clockspeed amd have took another large step forward

If the Core chips go up to 5.2GHz and the Zen 3 up to 4.8GHz...
Ryzen 5 has to be 8-core, Ryzen 7 has to be 12-core and Ryzen 9 has to be 16-core.

If they are not, I will prefer, purchase and recommend the 10-core i9, 65W part.
Zen 3 will be end of road for the AM4 boards, so no upgrade path unless for super expensive Ryzen 9....
PCIe 4 I don't need because graphics cards show miserable performance improvements of 1-2%, and I have an M.2 SSD PCIe 3 x4 XPG Gammix S11 Pro.

Caporegime
Ryzen 5 has to be 8-core, Ryzen 7 has to be 12-core and Ryzen 9 has to be 16-core.

If they are not, I will prefer, purchase and recommend the 10-core i9, 65W part.
Zen 3 will be end of road for the AM4 boards, so no upgrade path unless for super expensive Ryzen 9....
PCIe 4 I don't need because graphics cards show miserable performance improvements of 1-2%, and I have an M.2 SSD PCIe 3 x4 XPG Gammix S11 Pro.

You do realize Comet Lake S is 'Kaby Lake - Sky Lake - Coffee Lake' yet again rebranded?
BTW, Intel's TDP is meaningless, the 9900K has a "95 Watt TDP" power consumption 170 Watts. The 10 core will be 220 Watts. Remind you of the FX-9590?

Caporegime
You do realize Comet Lake S is 'Kaby Lake - Sky Lake - Coffee Lake' yet again rebranded?
BTW, Intel's TDP is meaningless, the 9900K has a "95 Watt TDP" power consumption 170 Watts. The 10 core will be 220 Watts. Remind you of the FX-9590?

Never Mind, Comet Lake S is Intel's 10 core mobile part, 1.5Ghz to 3.2Ghz, why would you?

TrM

TrM

Associate

why does ryzen 5 have to 8 core ? and ryzen 7 has to be 12 core? There is a lot of life left in 6 core 12 thread cpu for midrange cpu and i fully expect the the ryzen 5 and intel i5 both to be 6/12 cpu's.

and what would amd do with all those chiplets that dont meet the grade for a 4900x etc they ahve to be sold somewere?

as for ryzen 7 that will contuine to be dominated buy 8 core 16 thread cpu same as i7 will be.

but i hate to say it to you but 10 core intel 12 core amd and 16 core amd are still gonna cost north of 450 pounds i dont expect to see much monmvent from either side i can see intel 10 core being 550+ and ryzen 9 being the same. As for this 65w parts if intel does bring one out on there new mainstreamline up it will be a non k version with no oc'ing :(

Associate
OP
Well I certainly didn't mean to start an argument up in here :p

I have been looking around and have seen that I can get a Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE for about £70 more than the MSI Tomahawk Max - Would that be worth the extra £70? Is PCIe 4.0 destined to make any kind of impact within the next couple of years? Besides that I can't see anything offered by it that would make a difference to me.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Well I certainly didn't mean to start an argument up in here :p

I have been looking around and have seen that I can get a Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE for about £70 more than the MSI Tomahawk Max - Would that be worth the extra £70? Is PCIe 4.0 destined to make any kind of impact within the next couple of years? Besides that I can't see anything offered by it that would make a difference to me.

i don't think pci 4 will make much of a differnce. Graphic cards bearly max out a pci gen 3 x8 never mind x16. nvme ssd will take adavatge sooner or later of pci4 but i perosnlly dont think anytime soon and not before intel jump on the bandwagon also:) But i do feel that x570 being a newer chipset gets bios updates first and the vrm is much betetr on them that the £70 for those 2 are a worthwhile addition. (plus having the latest and shinny technology allways looks better when we are bragging about our PC)

Soldato
He knows better than us and AMD. We are all wrong, he is right. Lol :D

Going to assume we are talking about the literal troll that is 4Kknowsnothingbuthinksheknoseverything8k? Never blocked anyone but them, coming from a professionals perspective he acts like a petulant know it all child. He literally drags the whole of this forum down, and I've no idea why OCUK bother to let him post, he's as bad a Trump with misinformation and blatant lying.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i don't think pci 4 will make much of a differnce. Graphic cards bearly max out a pci gen 3 x8 never mind x16. nvme ssd will take adavatge sooner or later of pci4 but i perosnlly dont think anytime soon and not before intel jump on the bandwagon also:) But i do feel that x570 being a newer chipset gets bios updates first and the vrm is much betetr on them that the £70 for those 2 are a worthwhile addition. (plus having the latest and shinny technology allways looks better when we are bragging about our PC)
Yep and it gives him the option of dropping in a 4900X later if he wants without any issues. Well worth the extra money. I would only go for the tomohawk if the idea is to keep it for 1-2 years and upgrade to X770 or whatever Intel have at the time in 2021.

Going to assume we are talking about the literal troll that is 4Kknowsnothingbuthinksheknoseverything8k? Never blocked anyone but them, coming from a professionals perspective he acts like a petulant know it all child. He literally drags the whole of this forum down, and I've no idea why OCUK bother to let him post, he's as bad a Trump with misinformation and blatant lying.

Yea him. LOL :p

I don't get why he does what he does and why he gets away with spreading misinformation like that. Saying that I do not have him on block (or anyone actually) and never reported him or anything. Only time I recall using the report feature is when someone is blatantly breaking the rules by advertising or something.

Associate
OP
I have another question :D

The RAM I am currently using is Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 (CMK8GX4M2B3200C16), I have 4 x 4GB sticks. Will this work with a Ryzen 3600 build?

It's pretty old so I am expecting the answer to be a "no", but I can't see why not?

Associate

The RAM I am currently using is Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 (CMK8GX4M2B3200C16), I have 4 x 4GB sticks. Will this work with a Ryzen 3600 build?

It's pretty old so I am expecting the answer to be a "no", but I can't see why not?

It will work but prolly not the advertised speed. Maybe 2933MHz.

TrM

TrM

Associate

i would expect that ram to run at rated speeds. ryzen 3000 is a lot better at handling ram then the previous generations and under my own testing it picked up my older corsair 3200mhz corsair rgb ram But i have since upgraded to 8-pack 3600cl16 kit

Associate
I ve just upgraded from a 6600k to a 3700x and reused my gtx1080 i can say its a very good upgrade. The biggest gain has been with my oculus and the lows seen when gaming at 1440 and becuase i used a b450 board and reused my ram only cost me 400. I would recommend you look into a ryzen much better bang for your buck and im running the 3200mhz vengance with no issues.

Associate
OP
Thank you for all of the help guys, I decided to go for the 3600 and B450 Tomahawk Max. After selling my old stuff it means I'm getting a very cheap upgrade - and I can always move to a Ryzen 4000 next year if I want to, or just wait until 5000. I was going to get the 3600X for £22 more and then sell the free codes - but I just don't want the hassle lol.

It feels weird to be going back to AMD after 10+ years away. It's like I'm coming home from a long journey :D :p

Back
Top Bottom