The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Associate
I was expecting to find a dedicated thread tbh.

Anyway, I’m signed up and hoping my hardware can at least run it reasonably - never owned a copy of MSFS yet that ran well out of the box at launch, I carried on with FS9 for a fair few years before getting into FSX simply because I was waiting for my rig to catch up, can’t see this being any different tbh.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/official-microsoft-flight-simulator-thread.18856864/

There you go!

Associate
Not played a flight sim since Amiga days but am really impressed by the 2020 trailer.

For a complete newbie to get into flight sims , would you start with Fsx on a reasonably quick system , 2700x, Vega 64,1440p or should i start elsewhere?

Have a x55 / throttle that have barely used.

Slightly worried that the 2700x might not be upto it, from a seem a brief Google, seems many flight sim engines are quite old and run single core / need high clock speeds ?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Not played a flight sim since Amiga days but am really impressed by the 2020 trailer.

For a complete newbie to get into flight sims , would you start with Fsx on a reasonably quick system , 2700x, Vega 64,1440p or should i start elsewhere?

Slightly worried that the 2700x might not be upto it, from a seem a brief Google, seems many flight sim engines are quite old and run single core / need high clock speeds ?

Depends.
In the realm of Civilian sims, FS2020 is likely to make everything else look a little rubbish. There is however something of a big BUT with that, i.e.
- VR support has only just been decided upon, meaning that it's not likely to be available for a good number of months after release
- It's likely to require some serious hardware to look anything like that good on launch
- Whilst the clips look amazing, let's not get too hyped. It might fly like a dog (highly unlikely, but possible)

If you want to get warmed up on a civilian sim, then Xplane11 is a good shout.
If you want to shoot something, the 2 options worth considering (IMO) are:
- IL2, which is very focused on WW2 and pretty easy to get into
- DCS, which does WW2, but without the real setting that IL2 achieves, but then adds jets, starting in Korea (Sabre, Mig15), goes through the cold war (F5, Mig21 etc) and onto the aircraft from the last 20 years (F18, F16, Harrier, Mirage etc). DCS also includes what are probably the best done helicopters (Huey, Mi8).

Associate
Was
Depends.
In the realm of Civilian sims, FS2020 is likely to make everything else look a little rubbish. There is however something of a big BUT with that, i.e.
- VR support has only just been decided upon, meaning that it's not likely to be available for a good number of months after release
- It's likely to require some serious hardware to look anything like that good on launch
- Whilst the clips look amazing, let's not get too hyped. It might fly like a dog (highly unlikely, but possible)

If you want to get warmed up on a civilian sim, then Xplane11 is a good shout.
If you want to shoot something, the 2 options worth considering (IMO) are:
- IL2, which is very focused on WW2 and pretty easy to get into
- DCS, which does WW2, but without the real setting that IL2 achieves, but then adds jets, starting in Korea (Sabre, Mig15), goes through the cold war (F5, Mig21 etc) and onto the aircraft from the last 20 years (F18, F16, Harrier, Mirage etc). DCS also includes what are probably the best done helicopters (Huey, Mi8).

Cheers for the advice. Yes does look like the new FSX is going to be a system killer.

Was thinking about giving the current FSX a go to warm up with, not particularly interested in shooters just yet. Would you still take Xplane11 over the older FSX for dipping into flight sims ?

Permabanned

Honestly, if you are just considering getting into flight sims now I'd hang off until MSFS2020 comes out.
Whilst Xplane 11 and Prepar3Dv4 are both fine base sims, they need lots of 3rd party payware add-ons to bring them up to a good standard of visual fidelity, functionality not to mention all the payware aircraft you'll want too.

If you fancy a military sim then give DCS a bash.

But honestly, I wouldn't recommend someone ploughing any money into XP11 or FSX/P3D at this point, until we know what MSFS 2020 is brining to the table.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Was

Cheers for the advice. Yes does look like the new FSX is going to be a system killer.

Was thinking about giving the current FSX a go to warm up with, not particularly interested in shooters just yet. Would you still take Xplane11 over the older FSX for dipping into flight sims ?

If you simply can't wait until 2020 releases and want VR support on purchase, then Xplane is the right choice. GH is correct though, i.e. don't throw a whole bunch of cash at it, as it could be obsolete by this time next year.

One other thought. DCS is free to download an includes a couple of aircraft (P51 and Su25). You could try that out to see what you think. It only becomes genuinely expensive if you then buy additional aircraft.
Whilst DCS is a combat sim, you're not obliged to shoot things, you can simply go sightseeing around the maps.
Lastly, IMO Xplane and DCS are similar on performance requires in VR.

Associate
Thanks both, yes I'd to have a go before 2020 but dont intend to buy lots of mods. Will have a look at Dcs world.

Not interested in VR .. yet .. did have a Dk2 but found it tiring. Maybe if flight sims bite I'll try it again.

Associate
OP
Aerofly FS 2 is also worth a look. Although not perfect and there are some things missing compared to most other flight sims, it does however fly very smoothly (60+fps is easily achieved on even a mid-level PC) and it fully support VR (which is does very well indeed and the main reason I have it). It temporarily scratched my flight sim itch until ms2020 comes along, which, if they do it right with the right pricing models and allow for 3rd party/free mods to be made for it, could be 'the main flight sim' for the next 10+ years. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Current autumn sale discount on Aerofly FS2, https://store.steampowered.com/app/434030.

Associate
Thanks, might give that one a go, would like to fly some simple planes to start with and FSX and XP11 seem to both not perform great on Ryzen / Vega.

Associate
Finally got myself a BenQ EW3270U 32 Inch 4K monitor for P3D but my Geforce 1070FE is struggling with dynamic lighting. Any recommendations on a worthy upgrade? I was thinking something like a 2070S?

Associate
Thead bump!

IMG-20200701-WA0010.jpg.80d30dcaf69e3e5ac11874be8d55dc04.jpg

For those of you who fly on VATSIM, I just wanted to let you all know that the 14th Annual Mid Summer Madness event takes place during the weekend of 1st/2nd August at EGBB Birmingham. EGBB will be fully staffed from Delivery right up to London Control from 1100-2000 BST both days. No flight bookings - any aircraft, any time to and/or from EGBB.

There's some prizes on offer, courtesy of Majestic Software, UK2000 Scenery Flight1 Software, ORBX Simulations, FlyX Simulations and A2A Simulations. Prizes will be awarded to the pilot who makes the longest flight to/from EGBB, the pilot who makes the most flights to/from EGBB and the remainder will be allocated to pilots at random.

Follow on twitter: @vatsimMSM

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Soldato
While we are bumping, worth noting that FS2020 goes into closed beta at the end of this month. Fingers crossed that means some more of us unlucky ones who didn't make the alpha will get in

Associate
Thead bump!

IMG-20200701-WA0010.jpg.80d30dcaf69e3e5ac11874be8d55dc04.jpg

For those of you who fly on VATSIM, I just wanted to let you all know that the 14th Annual Mid Summer Madness event takes place during the weekend of 1st/2nd August at EGBB Birmingham. EGBB will be fully staffed from Delivery right up to London Control from 1100-2000 BST both days. No flight bookings - any aircraft, any time to and/or from EGBB.

There's some prizes on offer, courtesy of Majestic Software, UK2000 Scenery Flight1 Software, ORBX Simulations, FlyX Simulations and A2A Simulations. Prizes will be awarded to the pilot who makes the longest flight to/from EGBB, the pilot who makes the most flights to/from EGBB and the remainder will be allocated to pilots at random.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Some more thread bumpage!

This annual event is taking place this weekend. Be great if you could fly in/out for us.

I noted from the other FS thread, some people are not so sure what VATSIM is all about, why not head over to https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/getting-started

get connected and just have a look and a listen and see what it's all about and how impressive it is.

Hopefully see you there!

Associate
I don't have a yoke myself, I haven't the space for one. Popular yokes are the Saitek (now Logitech), the CH Products and the fairy new to the market Honeycomb.

They are expensive though, so for anyone just starting out, I'd recommend a cheap joystick with a twist handle to make sure it's the right hobby for them before ploughing a load of cash into it.

Last edited:
Associate
Annual thread bump from me :D

Saturday 31st July and Sunday 1st August sees the 15th annual 'Mid Summer Madness!' event at EGBB Birmingham on the VATSIM Network.

EGBB will be fully staffed from Delivery right up to London Control from 1100-2000 BST both days. No flight bookings - any aircraft, any time to and/or from EGBB.

There's some prizes on offer, courtesy of A2A Simulations, Just Flight, Macco Simulations, ORBX and UK2000 Scenery.. Prizes will be awarded to the pilot who makes the longest flight to/from EGBB, the pilot who makes the most flights to/from EGBB and the remainder will be allocated to pilots at random.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom