Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Associate
Not something the standard Met AFOs are trained or allowed to do. Threat has to assessed after every single shot.

It certainly sounded like they fired two or three shots in rapid sucession. I believe all armed police (AFOs, C019 or regional firearms units) are all trained to shoot for the head or upper body mass. If they fire a shot it is for the sole purpose of killing the person they are shooting at. I don't believe they shot him and waited to see if he calmed down a bit, I suspect they shot him till he was dead.

Caporegime
It's irrelevant that we don't like terrorists, that is inherently true, where they've won in this ground is that there is a growing ethnonationalist extremism in this country, we literally have a dead MP to show for it (among the other things i've already mentioned, plus the stupid calls by the last government to try to kill encryption), I don't consider the last 20 years as 'winning' just because we've killed some Islamists.

DP's comments were re: islamophobia in GD yet most of what he sees through his uber-PC glasses as "islamophobia" is people having a pop at islamists not muslims in general.

Caporegime
After watching the video... i can see why it would have been rather pointless, but...

Basically I always thought that in such a scenario, the police would be at a distance and trying to get the suspect to go through the disarming procedure before ending their life. But the video is obviously a very intimate situation that such a procedure was impossible i suppose with all the pedestrians around them.

Is it typically assumed they have a potential bomb or not? I would have thought yes and the video certainly doesn't make me seem like that's the case.

Caporegime
To be honest, I suspect the police officer could be in trouble here, the public have subdued the guy and then the police have dragged them off and double tapped him.

It did confuse me somewhat, as that would be the course of action surely, i know the public are allowed to intervene, but to what degree?

Oh i've read this wrong, i meant it should be the case that the police have to get the public to safety, and i was wondering why it seemed like they weren't really doing that well, though from what i could see, the knife was still in play for most of the tussle... so maybe that was impossible.

Last edited:
Don
I was thinking that Jokester but was the suspect wearing a vest ?
Fake vest, that he didn't detonate (obviously) even when he was basically piled on by a group of 12+ members of public. It should be enough for a police officer to suspect that it's a fake, especially when he now proceeds to clear the site and ultimately dragging a couple of guys off him, all the while he still doesn't detonate the vest before shooting him

Associate
Fake vest, that he didn't detonate (obviously) even when he was basically piled on by a group of 12+ members of public. It should be enough for a police officer to suspect that it's a fake, especially when he now proceeds to clear the site and ultimately dragging a couple of guys off him, all the while he still doesn't detonate the vest before shooting him

Don't be daft.

Soldato
To be honest, I suspect the police officer could be in trouble here, the public have subdued the guy and then the police have dragged them off and double tapped him.

Not a chance.

The officer got a Hero off it. The it opened his coat and the officer could see the vest.
The rest is history.

I see the apologists are here once again.

Caporegime
After watching the video... i can see why it would have been rather pointless, but...

Basically I always thought that in such a scenario, the police would be at a distance and trying to get the suspect to go through the disarming procedure before ending their life. But the video is obviously a very intimate situation that such a procedure was impossible i suppose with all the pedestrians around them.

Is it typically assumed they have a potential bomb or not? I would have thought yes and the video certainly doesn't make me seem like that's the case.

Given the guy was having to be restrained and was not cooperative in the first place then....

I mean standing back at a distance and getting them to disarm works better if they actually want to disarm and cooperate... i.e. they've had second thoughts about blowing themselves up etc..

Sgarrista
Commissario

Having seen the full unedited videos I can say it was fully justified, the moment that vest was in sight it wasnt even an option anymore, tap tap.

Caporegime

Why take the chance? Genuinely. He's just killed someone, it's pretty safe he's a terrorist, looks like a vest, I'd add some new ventilation holes and sleep well at night.

It's silly to suggest just because he's not detonated it yet it's safe to assume it's fake.

Can't see this being anything but a very sensible decision under extreme pressure.

Back
Top Bottom