• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI BLACK FRIDAY DEALS & 2080 SUPER LOOKS TASTY!

Soldato
Yup, no buy for me, I’ll wait for Big Navi in 2020.

Im really hoping AMD will give NVIDIA the “bloody nose” they’re currently giving to INTEL.
I wouldn't wait if you after a top end card. Given what we've seen from current mid range Navi, 'Big Navi' will offer 2080 Ti performance for the same power draw, come with a crappy stock cooler and at best and will cost around £700 but more likely it will be nearer the £800 mark. It's quite apparent that AMD's strategy/priority is to increase GP's and keeping them high rather then solely focusing more driving higher sales and taking large market share away from their competitors so high prices are here to stay.

Caporegime
I'm sorry OCUK not in bed with EVGA I had to go elsewhere for a GPU this BF. Please try to get into bed with EVGA Ocuk, on an enthusiast's forum I feel this would go down well with their approach to cooler removal:)

You're assuming that the other retailers haven't paid to have certain items exclusive to them. OcUK have done this with other brands so it's a fairly common practice.

Look at the power colour Liquid Devil that's exclusive to OcUk as an example:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...vil-available-exclusively-from-ocuk.18870566/

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be history - EVGA have made a couple of fiasco GPU launches so its understandable OCUK are not "in bed" with them probably asked them to clean up their act. Cant remember now which GPU series was something like 6 months late ? The threads on it were epic. Happened with two different series if I recall.

Soldato
It's very reassuring as a waterfooler though to have their great attitude to removing the HSF written on their actual website.

Then you've got great customer support and transferable warranty when it comes to selling on.

Soldato
I wouldn't wait if you after a top end card. Given what we've seen from current mid range Navi, 'Big Navi' will offer 2080 Ti performance for the same power draw, come with a crappy stock cooler and at best and will cost around £700 but more likely it will be nearer the £800 mark. It's quite apparent that AMD's strategy/priority is to increase GP's and keeping them high rather then solely focusing more driving higher sales and taking large market share away from their competitors so high prices are here to stay.

I'll be happy with 'Big Navi' with 2080 Ti perf., Nvidia won't be getting any of my money until they represent any kind of "value for money/bang for buck". I will support AMD with my money as we need a relervant second player in the GPU space, otherwise Nvidia will just continue to charge more and more for less and less.

Soldato
We'll have to see what the final price is for 5900XT, we can only speculate on that, while we've seen Nvidia gouging the the market with the RTX for some time ;)

Nvidia have set new eye watering levels for "high end", AMD are a business so I can understand why that would want some of that gravy as well.

As consumers we can only home that competition returns otherwise by this time next year Nvidia will be charging £2K for a high end GPU, is see no end to the limit of their greed.

Associate
Was planning to wait for Ampere to upgrade my 1070 but really tempted by the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC for £620.

Not keen on spending over £650 anyhow so would probably end up with a 3070 RTX if I wait, would that even be any faster? Just picked up Red Dead 2 which is going to make my 1070 struggle at 4k (40" 60hz TV), normally have to run as ultrawide and dial back a few setting as it is.

Anything bad about the Ventus XS? My case (FT02) has great airflow so should be OK for cooling. would have liked USB C for VR but my current Rift doesn't use it anyhow and guess there are adaptors if needed.

Edit: To be honest I think the 1070 performance is making me hold back on playing some games as it is due to performance issues. Built my Ryzen 9 rig months back but doesn't feel complete until I get a new card for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was planning to wait for Ampere to upgrade my 1070 but really tempted by the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC for £620.

Not keen on spending over £650 anyhow so would probably end up with a 3070 RTX if I wait, would that even be any faster? Just picked up Red Dead 2 which is going to make my 1070 struggle at 4k (40" 60hz TV), normally have to run as ultrawide and dial back a few setting as it is.

Anything bad about the Ventus XS? My case (FT02) has great airflow so should be OK for cooling. would have liked USB C for VR but my current Rift doesn't use it anyhow and guess there are adaptors if needed.

Edit: To be honest I think the 1070 performance is making me hold back on playing some games as it is due to performance issues. Built my Ryzen 9 rig months back but doesn't feel complete until I get a new card for it.

I think there may be quite a few people (me included) on 1070's and 1080's realising that the 2070/2080's aren't worth the upgrade and are waiting for the next gen series.

I've looked at the figures and they just don't have the increase in performance over what I already have, especially for £460 plus.

The only one that would is the 2080 Ti and I'm not paying a grand+ for a decent one, the price is just madness.

Associate
I think there may be quite a few people (me included) on 1070's and 1080's realising that the 2070/2080's aren't worth the upgrade and are waiting for the next gen series.

I've looked at the figures and they just don't have the increase in performance over what I already have, especially for £460 plus.

The only one that would is the 2080 Ti and I'm not paying a grand+ for a decent one, the price is just madness.

Yeah £620 is hard to swallow but how much will the 3070/3080 be £650/£800+? and not out till July? will the 3070 be that much faster than a 2080 Super?

Wasn't planning to buy now but my 1070 is struggling with RDR2 at 1080p let alone 4k.

Soldato
Yeah £620 is hard to swallow but how much will the 3070/3080 be £650/£800+? and not out till July? will the 3070 be that much faster than a 2080 Super?

Wasn't planning to buy now but my 1070 is struggling with RDR2 at 1080p let alone 4k.

Time will tell.

Do you have a Gsync monitor?

I find it really helps with the 1070 to smooth things out.

Associate
Time will tell.

Do you have a Gsync monitor?

I find it really helps with the 1070 to smooth things out.

Playing on a Samsung 40" 4K 60hz TV, so ideally need a steady 60fps with v-sync on.

Running at lower / ultra-wide res (3840 x 1800) and medium / high settings normally does the job but new games like RDR2 are too demanding so have to go 1080p.

Managed to wait out for Ryzen 3000 but think I'm going to cave in and order this time round. Even got wife approval for the purchase now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom