• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday GPU upgrade!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Was hoping someone here could help out with a little decision regarding Black Friday!

So i'm running the following:
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.40 ghz
8.00 Dual-Channel DDR3 @665mhz (9-9-9-24)
Gigabyte Technology Co. ltd. z68x-UD7-B3 (Socket 1155)
4095mb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

I appreciate that my system in general is aging but am I wrong in thinking that the GPU's are the things to save well on for this black friday?

I would like a GeForce as frankly im just used to having them and I also like the idea of the RTX stuff.

I've seen a couple of the KFA2 2070 super cards are going for ok prices (£450 ish). Would I be wise to pick one up now?

OR

Do I give up the fantasy and focus on fixing the rest of the rig?

Many thanks in advance!

Soldato
Buy one if you wish, but I think your CPU will bottleneck that card.
I'd attempt an overclock in order to reduce said bottleneck.
Of course this will depend on the resolution you are currently at & you wish to increase that.
At least if you buy the card now you may see some benefit, but you should see more benefit when you upgrade the rest of the PC in the future.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
What's the resolution? The higher you go the less important CPU generally is

I'd go for it and also get your processor over clocked. I think the 2600k were good for knocking on 5ghz from memory.

Soldato
Go for it BUT you desperately need to add another 8GB of RAM as well. So if you need to save up on the GPU in order to afford RAM too then don't be afraid to get a 2070/2060 Super for less. The CPU is still fine for 60 fps especially as you push raytracing which is so GPU heavy but do give the CPU an OC, at least 4-4.4 Ghz it should do & your mobo can do it (kitguru: "The 24 Phase PWM ensures that the motherboard is stable, even under heavily overclocked situations. At 4.8ghz-5.0ghz the only thing limiting the overclocking potential is the cooling.").

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll no doubt need to overclock my CPU and tbh, cooling isn't an issue. It's got a water block on it which is strapped to a 360 rad and 120 rad. It's being massively overcooled if anything at the moment! Reason being is I used to have 2 GTX 580's and rather than let the rad go to waste when I changed to an air 970 I just linked it all up to the cpu loop.

I'm playing at a resolution of 1920x1080 and am happy with it. I love the look of the widescreen curved monitors but it scares me with both the price of them and knowing it probably reduces the aging ability of the gpu.

As far as my gaming is concerned, the only issue I've across recently is GPU based with red dead redemption 2 (Not hugely surprised). Changing the gpu would obviously sort that.

So the next question: is it fair to suggest that the 2070 super will last me a good few years?

I'm planning on upgrading the rest of the rig when the new consoles come out, hopefully making better tech available or current high end tech cheaper to afford.

Associate
Given the current prices I'd grab a cheap Ryzen CPU & mobo & 16gb of cheap ddr4 then see what you have left for a midrange 1080p GPU. Or stick with your 970 for a few more months as rtx prices should adjust in your favour. The only kicker.. is your PSU up to snuff? Well, that's what I'd do anyway:)

Associate
OP
Given the current prices I'd grab a cheap Ryzen CPU & mobo & 16gb of cheap ddr4 then see what you have left for a midrange 1080p GPU. Or stick with your 970 for a few more months as rtx prices should adjust in your favour. The only kicker.. is your PSU up to snuff? Well, that's what I'd do anyway:)

I've got a 750w PSU so that should be fine?

I'm a little concerned with the 2070 super as looking at benchmarks online it shows that the fps just drops horribly with RTX enabled, which I presume will be the same for new releases. Are we at a point where it's just too early tech to be worth it currently? This kinda ties into the longevity question too.

I've looked at Ryzen stuff and done a good bit of research. From what I've read up the Ryzen is great but Intel still win regarding gaming and apparently the more demanding the game gets the more noticeable the difference is, making it less long lived.

It's a real sticky wicket really, what with AMD releasing RTX cards soon, Nvidia releasing 3xxx series and then the next gen consoles which all means maybe it's better just waiting?

With exception to bf5 which runs perfectly or red dead my other games list are easy games as far as hardware is concerned. I'm definitely getting bloodlines 2 but I can't imagine that will be anything higher than red dead is right now.

Decisions decisions!!

Associate
last year black friday i upgraded my computer to a 2600x, gigabyte aruos pro mobo and 16gb 3000mhz ram but kept my old EVGA 970 SC. This year i'm probably going to go and order a 5700xt

Associate
I agree with others and would spend that money on upgrading the rest of the system.

I'm running an old RX 470 4gb card but upgraded my cpu/ram the other month and it's like a different machine...well because it is i guess.

Associate
OP
I agree with others and would spend that money on upgrading the rest of the system.

I'm running an old RX 470 4gb card but upgraded my cpu/ram the other month and it's like a different machine...well because it is i guess.

Brill. Thanks for the advise. Guess I'll price up a new rig then!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Associate
OP
Yeah new mobo/cpu/ram. Use the 970 then upgrade that when opportunity next arises.

Any suggestions on an Intel CPU based system? I like the look of the i7-9700KF processors (which I'll put into my water loop) but am not sure what to put with it in regards to mobo and RAM. I'm keen on using corsair stuff that's compatible with the iCUE as I'm already using it for keyboard, mouse and headset (and stand).
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom