Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Associate
How would you feel?
People were stabbed, people died. That alone IMO is enough to warrant shooting to kill. He could never have known the vest was fake but you have to assume for your own life and others that it was real.

Well, if I was in his shoes, at first I'd think I had done the right thing, but then I guess it would depend on how strong mentally i'd be after something like that, but no one can tell you what they feel in a situation unless it actually happens.

I agree with your comment though, a life for a life in my eyes, but in this country, people always get a slap on the wrist and let go again, so I think its a bit of a shock that this has actually happened.

Man of Honour
If you're going to go on a murderous rampage then I don't think a bullet is outside of what is reasonable if you're continuing to kick off...

Don
I hear getting a few officers up close and personal to handcuff the guy is lesson 1 in how to deal with potential suicide bombers, I'm amazed they didn't do that.

Much safer than evacuating civilians and controlling from a distance with a firearms team.
The 2 police officers were dragging guys off him, it was hardly controlled from a distance.

Permabanned
Entirely possibly, the "attack" in 2017 happened a week before the General Election, now again its happened 2 weeks before the next GE.
Its just another "attack" to keep people living in fear and to sway the public vote.
Its not the first time and won't be the last time.

2 people lost their lives today, (which is very sad) but it was all for political gain.

(i know people won't like my opinion, but it is what it is, i'm not trying to start an argument, or be disrespectful, I just see the world in a different way to the majority)

Jason, I am curious as to how you believe such a wheeze could be orchestrated? I know the main parties spend eye watering amounts of money on electioneering, and bit actors are desperate for work, but are you seriously suggesting that they find a random guy and convince him for a ruck of cash to go murder two innocent people with a knife, injure others, in central London in the middle of the day, whilst wearing a fake suicide belt? Even if he were the staunchest fan of Boris or Brexit in the land it's rather far fetched to think someone would take the role on, is it not? How would such a fake terrorist incident be carried out, in your opinion, one involving the security services and hoping random Joe Public's play their part correctly? Is there some covert actor's list citing willing guys of foreign appearance just waiting for the call to support Brexit, Russkies, the Conservatives or whoever you feel is masterminding this recruitment program? I find it hard enough to find a willing gardener. In anticipation...

Soldato
And it's safe to assume it's fake after 40 seconds? You've got a dead body, and a bad guy being restrained by numerous people. He is wearing what appears to be a suicide vest and you've pulled everyone off him who has was restraining him. It's then a split second decision.

I can't see any sense in assuming it's fake. If you're wrong you're dead, your colleagues are dead, all the members of the public that have just restrained him are dead. Sensible decision was made.

The terrorist got what he wanted, whether the vest was fake or not he was never going to walk out of London today. Let’s not forget this nutter also stabbed people.

The officers were in the blast radius without knowing the vest was a fake. IMHO they acted reasonably given the threat.

Soldato
I don't know why I'm surprised by the armchair expertise being demonstrated here, it is the internet after all! Thankfully there are wiser more practical heads actually in charge of this stuff. Good to read that the police are much better equipped than they used to be to deal with terrorism.

Soldato
The 2 police officers were dragging guys off him, it was hardly controlled from a distance.
It was as much distance as the circumstances permitted in the space. The idea they should have piled officers in to the group of civilians to get him cuffed is frankly laughable imo.

Priority 1 has to be civilian safety, they had to remove the civilians from the situation as fast as practically possible, which they did a bloody good job of. At the same time they kept a secured perimeter with the firearms officers to minimise any potential for further development. The guy had the choice to stay still and comply, he didn't and they contained the threat. It was as controlled as could be expected.

I genuinely don't think there is a reasonable alternative course of action that doesn't directly introduce either civilians or officers into a potentially riskier position with minimal benefit to doing so.

Soldato
Well, if I was in his shoes, at first I'd think I had done the right thing, but then I guess it would depend on how strong mentally i'd be after something like that, but no one can tell you what they feel in a situation unless it actually happens.

I agree with your comment though, a life for a life in my eyes, but in this country, people always get a slap on the wrist and let go again, so I think its a bit of a shock that this has actually happened.
I think in his shoes I'd be comfortable with the outcome given the circumstances. People can only react to what they see unfolding in front of them. IMO there's absolutely nothing that would back a case that this officer should feel bad about the outcome.

Don
It was as much distance as the circumstances permitted in the space. The idea they should have piled officers in to the group of civilians to get him cuffed is frankly laughable imo.

Priority 1 has to be civilian safety, they had to remove the civilians from the situation as fast as practically possible, which they did a bloody good job of. At the same time they kept a secured perimeter with the firearms officers to minimise any potential for further development. The guy had the choice to stay still and comply, he didn't and they contained the threat. It was as controlled as could be expected.

I genuinely don't think there is a reasonable alternative course of action that doesn't directly introduce either civilians or officers into a potentially riskier position with minimal benefit to doing so.
And I would still argue that they had a chance to put binds on him which would have been an immensely safe and quicker way to maintain his restraint whilst everyone backed off, the only reason this didn't turn out messy was that he didn't turn out to have a suicide vest on him.

Soldato
Not this lot of BS again. The TV station in the US got slated for this as it was civilians celebrating after election results in the West Bank. The TV station had to apologise for the piece. It seems some people would rather use a lie than the truth. Shame on you.

Whether or not that video was about something else, you don't think some Muslims weren't celebrating?

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media...cate-trumps-claim-of-911-muslim-celebrations/

008ayt94zos21.jpg

Associate
Once they got all the civilians out of the way and it became evident he had a vest on, real or not they have a split second to react. It's easy to sit and dissect after the fact. So they don't take action and he blows himself up and takes out several civilians including the three officers then they'd be criticised for not taking decisive action. They have to make a critical decision in less than a second. It's easy to judge after the fact.

Caporegime
I can't beleive people are dismissing the copper in this situation. They truely beleived he was an immediate threat to life then he was well within his right to shoot. It's literally how they are trained. He (they) even put their lifes at risk if there was a potential of a suicidie vest, at such close range.

How people can argue against it, is beyond me. Can you not put yourself in that situation?

The police are very aware they could be up in court for their decisions, they are literally putting others lifes infront of theirs. Does anyone really think they want to be jailed for murder?

Then the weight of taking a persons life is on his mind forever. There is far too many factors to say this killing was unlawful, and hugely unfair for anyone to judge from an armchair.

Soldato
Oh my goodness, I just read the last page of this thread, and there are people sat on a computer overclocking forum scrutinising how anti terrorist Police are doing their job and how it should have been done better? Give it a rest boys, eh?

Soldato
Oh my goodness, I just read the last page of this thread, and there are people sat on a computer overclocking forum scrutinising how anti terrorist Police are doing their job and how it should have been done better? Give it a rest boys, eh?

Look they are experts, they are global elite in counter strike!!!

Soldato
It looked as controlled as it could be.

Seems like they made the decision to shoot him, then one officer helped the civilian get out of the firing line and once they was clear, the other officer shot the attacker.

I'll be interested to read if anyone in authority suggests a way the police could have tackled that better. I can't imagine I will.

Soldato
It looked as controlled as it could be.

Seems like they made the decision to shoot him, then one officer helped the civilian get out of the firing line and once they was clear, the other officer shot the attacker.

I'll be interested to read if anyone in authority suggests a way the police could have tackled that better. I can't imagine I will.

Dont worry corbryn will be ready to put his foot in it tomorrow morning...

Back
Top Bottom