Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50610215

Now I’m pretty sure the Tories have been in power since 2010.

This is the story from 2012 where he was originally arrested/charged/convicted etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422

Not sure I understand the point of a 16 year sentence that you have to do 8 years of but subsequently get out sooner than that!! I think there will be some questions asked of this appeals process and his friends in the articles will probably now be a lot closely monitored by the police if they aren’t already.

RIP to the victims. :(

Soldato
This is the story from 2012 where he was originally arrested/charged/convicted etc

Not sure I understand the point of a 16 year sentence that you have to do 8 years of but subsequently get out sooner than that!! I think there will be some questions asked of this appeals process and his friends in the articles will probably now be a lot closely monitored by the police if they aren’t already.

This is just stupid. Throw away the key next time.

Permabanned
Not sure I understand the point of a 16 year sentence that you have to do 8 years of but subsequently get out sooner than that!!

Imagine they got released, got into politics and you have to see them in positions of authority. Martin McGuinness was our Minister For Education at one point. A guy that did six MONTHS in the Republic of Ireland in the 1970s when he was caught in a car with 250 lbs of explosives and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Soldato
Sadly it will never be possible to make the world 100% safe but Theresa May's cuts to the Police were rediculous.

I also think radicalised 'religious' types with extremely strong convictions need to have different rules applied to them. It seems pretty clear that they are going to be much more difficult, in some cases impossible, to return to normal society.

One of the few things I agreed with Nick Clegg was much, much more spending on mental health. I'm sure that would reap benefits with crime, drug and alcohol abuse, abusive behaviour, eating disorders etc. Probably save the NHS a lot in the long run.

We just need more joined up, long term thinking in politics! I don't have much faith in any of the current candidates.

Associate
Got visions of Dowie slavering over laminated pictures of Boris in his bedroom :D. Dna everywere destroy comrade corbyn Boris I am not into fake news about you Boris, you will cure my insanity I have every faith in you to help me become Gd's leading nutcase.

Soldato

Regardless of whether you think prison should be to detain indefinitely, or rehabilitate, or whatever - its failed here. Badly.

Had a quick look for funding details...

Soldato
yet more evidence that prison just doesn't work.

Yet more evidence of how deranged some people are more like......

A terrorist gets released early from prison after being convicted for planning to commit acts of terrorism then goes on to murder two people, in a terroist attack, before themselves being shot by the police and your 'hot take' is that prison doesn't work?

It sure did work for the general populace whilst this suspect was in prison didn't it?

What exactly would people like you suggest we do with fanatics who want to destroy our countries and enforce an authoritarian global religious order?

We had better not be critical of their ideology, according to you, because you'll start trotting out some nonsence about how criticing certain ideologies is racist.

Why do you put thoose big old red and yellow shoes back on and go back to reading the not particularly well hidden certain ideology love fest that is the twitter feed of fellow 'academic' Craig Considine, who you previously citied as a an authoritative person in an risible attempt to make an argument from authority to support your rather fringe world view?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got visions of Dowie slavering over laminated pictures of Boris in his bedroom :D. Dna everywere destroy comrade corbyn Boris I am not into fake news about you Boris, you will cure my insanity I have every faith in you to help me become Gd's leading nutcase.

Brilliant - this guy appears every so often to have a pop at me in broken English... :D

Soldato
The mugshot of the guy who did it is actually terrifying and makes me wonder why he was ever released.
Because conviction, sentencing, and parole aren't based on mugshot appearance. And (I think you'll agree on review) that's a good thing.

Come on. Have another think about what you've written there. Youre terrified by the look of some Muslim blokes.

Soldato
Yet more evidence of how deranged some people are more like......

A terrorist gets released early from prison after being convicted for planning to commit acts of terrorism then goes on to murder two people, in a terroist attack, before themselves being shot by the police and your 'hot take' is that prison doesn't work?

It sure did work for the general populace whilst this suspect was in prison didn't it?

What exactly would people like you suggest we do with fanatics who want to destroy our countries and enforce an authoritarian global religious order?

We had better not be critical of their ideology, according to you, because you'll start trotting out some nonsence about how criticing certain ideologies is racist.

Why do you put thoose big old red and yellow shoes back on and go back to reading the not particularly well hidden certain ideology love fest that is the twitter feed of fellow 'academic' Craig Considine, who you previously citied as a an authoritative person in an risible attempt to make an argument from authority to support your rather fringe world view?

I guess the point is that unless prisons are trying to do something about reoffending and aren’t trying to reform prisoners there’s nothing stopping them coming out the same as they went in? (Or they sit their stewing for years making them go the other way and end up even worse!)

It comes back to whether you want prison to be just a deterrent or somewhere that you try and fix these broken people. I’m also obviously fully aware that not all offenders can be “fixed” as it were. But maybe only concentrate on the ones that can be brought back?

Associate
Nope. UK AFOs shoot until the target is no longer posing a threat, the threat being re-assessed after each shot. Anyone carrying out a Tel Aviv drill on the streets of London isn’t a copper.

I don't think so. As somebody previously mentioned, Operation Kratos, the policy for dealing with suspected terrorists is different. Despite no londer being referred to as Op Kratos, and modified since the De Menezes shooting the policy is more are less the same, as I understand it, to shoot the terrorist until they are dead.

One of the biggest threats in the Capital and elsewhere is the possibility of a Mumbai style shooting, with multiple gunman running amok killing at random. The counter this the police, as I understand it, are being training more and more in infantry style tactics like fire and maneouvre. Laying down covering fire does'nt particularly work well if you stop and assess after each shot.

Anyone carrying out a Tel Aviv drill on the streets of London isn’t a copper.

The current policy for dealing with terrorist incidents in the U.K. was written after extensive collaboration with the Israeli police force.

Soldato
I guess the point is that unless prisons are trying to do something about reoffending and aren’t trying to reform prisoners there’s nothing stopping them coming out the same as they went in?

Having not been presented with anything that suggests a non custodial sentence for a fanatical terrorist would likely rehabilitate them either I'll settle for a point of view that certain people should remain incaserated if only to protect the public from what they would do otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom