What's better?

Associate
Hi I would like some help choosing a router, it's either draytek vigor 2762 or ubiquiti edgemax?
I currently have a ubiquiti AP which is great and a bt home hub (newest one) that I would like to replace that doesn't have some features I want.

Any feed back would help.

Associate
Im biased but I'm familiar with draytek. Supported a lot of businesses that used them and I cant think of a bad thing to say about them. Gives you scope to control security aspects. Gets my nod. Only come across ubiquti access points. Recall it having a user friendly UI but that's about it.

Soldato
Which EdgeRouter are you comparing to the Draytek 2762? The EdgeMax range is quite broad.

That Draytek is also a VDSL/ADSL modem so if you need the modem functionality, you would need an EdgeRouter and a modem (something like a Draytek V120 or V130 depending on whether you have ADSL or VDSL).

EdgeRouters are not as straightforward as the Draytek, but they have pretty much every feature you could ever want.

Can I also suggest you look at the UniFi Dream Machine instead of something from the EdgeMax range? It’s a much closer comparison and while you’d still need a modem, you could immediately add your existing AP to the controller on the UDM and access all the features of the controller. It’s a VERY powerful piece of kit. While it’s a lot more money, it’s a lot more kit in a small box.

Soldato
Hi I would like some help choosing a router, it's either draytek vigor 2762 or ubiquiti edgemax?
I currently have a ubiquiti AP which is great and a bt home hub (newest one) that I would like to replace that doesn't have some features I want.

Any feed back would help.

How about you tell us what features it’s missing that you want? I’d personally struggle to recommend a Draytek product in this day and age, they are mediocrity personified, the industry as a whole has moved on quite a lot, Draytek haven’t.

Associate
OP
Which EdgeRouter are you comparing to the Draytek 2762? The EdgeMax range is quite broad.

That Draytek is also a VDSL/ADSL modem so if you need the modem functionality, you would need an EdgeRouter and a modem (something like a Draytek V120 or V130 depending on whether you have ADSL or VDSL).

EdgeRouters are not as straightforward as the Draytek, but they have pretty much every feature you could ever want.

Can I also suggest you look at the UniFi Dream Machine instead of something from the EdgeMax range? It’s a much closer comparison and while you’d still need a modem, you could immediately add your existing AP to the controller on the UDM and access all the features of the controller. It’s a VERY powerful piece of kit. While it’s a lot more money, it’s a lot more kit in a small box.
It was just the ER-X as I don't need SFP. I looked at the dream machine and just thought it was a bit pointless having an AP but you do make a good point. I have a old openreach modem so that isn't a problem.

Associate
OP
How about you tell us what features it’s missing that you want? I’d personally struggle to recommend a Draytek product in this day and age, they are mediocrity personified, the industry as a whole has moved on quite a lot, Draytek haven’t.
I have two children aged 9 and 4, so want to have more controls. BT have parent controls but they aren't very good. Also the firewall settings and port forwarding isn't very good on the bt hub which affects gaming online.

Soldato
It was just the ER-X as I don't need SFP. I looked at the dream machine and just thought it was a bit pointless having an AP but you do make a good point. I have a old openreach modem so that isn't a problem.

If you don’t need the improved coverage of 2 access points then you can always sell the existing AP, they make pretty good money used.

Soldato
I have two children aged 9 and 4, so want to have more controls. BT have parent controls but they aren't very good. Also the firewall settings and port forwarding isn't very good on the bt hub which affects gaming online.

That doesn’t make a great deal of sense. What exactly isn’t good about port forwarding and firewall settings on the BT Hub that’s affecting your online gaming? I ask because it really shouldn’t be causing you any issues between UPnP and conventional forwarding (not really the done thing anymore), those are basic functions that are largely the same on any router suggested so far.

As far as content filtering goes, BT’s hub won’t let you change DNS for example which is an obvious method to restrict content, but being honest as a parent of a 11 y/o and an 9 y/o, i’d rather supervise them properly and discuss appropriate and inappropriate content with them than rely on a 3rd party to parent for me - as someone who remembers what it was like to be that age, filtering is easily bypassed.

Soldato

On that basis I’d be looking at a cheap Celeron based X86 device running the free or home subscription version of Untangle. It’s pretty much the default option for content filtering in my opinion.

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/untangle-at-home/

Associate
OP
That doesn’t make a great deal of sense. What exactly isn’t good about port forwarding and firewall settings on the BT Hub that’s affecting your online gaming? I ask because it really shouldn’t be causing you any issues between UPnP and conventional forwarding (not really the done thing anymore), those are basic functions that are largely the same on any router suggested so far.

As far as content filtering goes, BT’s hub won’t let you change DNS for example which is an obvious method to restrict content, but being honest as a parent of a 11 y/o and an 9 y/o, i’d rather supervise them properly and discuss appropriate and inappropriate content with them than rely on a 3rd party to parent for me - as someone who remembers what it was like to be that age, filtering is easily bypassed.
On the old hub think 4 it worked but it just doesn’t seem to work on the newest one. For instance I had a tp link router before it stopped working and that worked fine too.

I supervise them as well but as they get older they will want their own space so if I implement it now then can get it working and can tweak it as I go along.

Back
Top Bottom