What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Mile 22 - 7/10

Mark Whalberg in this high speed action flick. An interesting ending (see spoiler) and some good action and fight scenes make for a pretty good movie.

The bad guys actually win? You don't see that very often and I honestly didn't see it coming. I can't say I was overly bothered mind you!

Caporegime
Knives out - 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed it, not as funny as I thought it was going to be though, a sort of cross between Agatha Christie and Columbo. Rian Johnson clearly can direct a decent movie and there wasn't really any snipes at Star Wars fans as I think some were expecting.

Ana De Armas is beautiful.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The Pentagon Wars - 8/10.

Depending on your level of cynicism, this is a comedic take on the story behind the Bradley Fighting Vehicle...or a true-to-life documentary on the **** that happens inside the US military. It's based on Col. James G. Burton's book The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard, which details how the US Army falsified (or outright didn't do) tests during the BFV's development.

It would be funnier if it wasn't so painfully close to real life. As it is, it's still pretty funny...until you remember a) how much money was spaffed on the piece of junk that the movie is about and b) that they were actually expecting men to ride around in the vehicle knowing that some conscript with a particularly sharp slice of fruit could hurt it.

Highlights for me:

Kelsey Grammer's Gen. Partridge sat on the toilet, pants 'round his ankles, raging about the report on the BFV authored by Cary Elwes' Col. James Burton. John C. McGinley playing John C. McGinley playing a colonel. The back-and-forth between Col. Robert Smith (played by Richard Schiff) and Jones (J.C MacKenzie) who has to keep adding the (contradictory) things to the Bradley design that the brass want. The whole of the congressional hearings.

Soldato
Alita: Battle Angel - 6/10 - Great use of CGI which never distracted me from the story, good characters overall if a little "thin" on the secondary ones and great acting from Salazar in the lead role. Whilst I think it was an OK story overall, in too many places the script felt like it had a very "this is made for tween/young adults" type feel regarding the way it dealt with first loves ups & downs, dealing with parents etc rather than one made mainly for Sci-Fi/Manga fans of all ages, but it was still entertaining enough to pass a few hours away on my flight back to the UK.

Associate
Knives Out (2019) - 9/10

A wonderful murder mystery whodunit with a great plot which has plenty of good twists and turns that will keep you guessing right up until the end.

The writing is funny and quirky, the acting and cast performances are great, and although it does labour the explanation phase a bit, it’s a marvelous production overall.

Soldato
OP
Watched a film called 'Freaks' IMDB says 2018 but only seen it released this year.

Definitely worth a a watch. Best going into it knowing as little about it as possible. It's not the best Sci-Fi/Horror/Drama ever but a decent take on the genre.

7/10.

Man of Honour
Just got back from seeing Knives Out.

Absolutely solid 9/10 for me. Superb film. Fantastic cast, good plot with plenty of twists and turns, very old school Agatha Christie in style and the perfect balance of humour.

Dont know if this is going to just be a one off film but I would really love to see a series of Benoit Blanc movies off the back of this. Terrific.

Soldato
Once upon a time in Hollywood - 6/10

Although i knew a bit about the movie, it referred back to the Manson family, i stayed away from trailers, spoilers etc. Therefore i did not know about the Sharon Tate murders, i didn't know that it was meant to be Charlie Manson who turned up at Tates house. It would have made more sense to introduce the characters as oppose to me having to google wtf just happened.

However, Tarantino can direct, some of the shots are beautiful and Dicaprio, what an amazing actor! Some of the standout moments: he had to act forgetting his lines, getting frustrated and then reshoot correctly all in one take and the part where he kidnapped the girl and was giving the ransom speech, holy poop! You can see why he is an Oscar winner.

Brad Pitt was very good too, although Margot Robbie's is stunning to look at, she seemed very underused (although reading some of the interviews, this may have been intentional).

Weakest of all QT movies and this is coming from someone who enjoyed the H8.

Soldato
Watched a film called 'Freaks' IMDB says 2018 but only seen it released this year.

Definitely worth a a watch. Best going into it knowing as little about it as possible. It's not the best Sci-Fi/Horror/Drama ever but a decent take on the genre.

7/10.
I was very impressed by this. The little girl is a very good actor.

Back
Top Bottom