• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is my GPU thermal throttling? - (SOLVED)

Associate
OP
unlikely to be screws then if it is a phanteks block. EKWB just throws in a bag of assorted screws so its easy to mistake the wrong ones.

Any update? seen anything wrong with the card/loop?

I haven't got around to draining the system yet as i still need to use the computer for the next few days. So will likely be the weekend until i can do it.

On another note, i was wondering if the PSU could be an issue? i have the corsair rm850x so plenty of power but i was thinking for whatever reason maybe the PSU is causing some kind of power issue to the card and in return its causing something to overheat underload and cause high temps? Is that even possible?

Associate
OP
Final update! YES REALLY! Thank you for all your help and advising me what to do. I drained the system and decided to take apart the gpu. I was a bit worried at first, thats one of the reasons i brought it already assembled by OverclockersUK as i didnt feel comfortable doing it myself. Anyway i took it apart and found the thermal paste didnt even cover the whole die. I am quite disappointed that a company like Overclockersuk did a poor job of applying thermal paste, however my GPU is in the upright orientation so perhaps this effects the thermal paste due to gravity? just a random thought.

I have since cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied my own. And now my GPU is working perfectly again!!! i now get 200FPS instead of the 80FPS i was getting.
i also noticed they didnt include the washers behind the screws for some reason. I did also put these on.

Temps also dont go much higher than 50 while underload!

Once again thank you! Im glad this has been resolved :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/WJIy70R picture of thermal paste

Last edited:
Soldato
Final update! YES REALLY! Thank you for all your help and advising me what to do. I drained the system and decided to take apart the gpu. I was a bit worried at first, thats one of the reasons i brought it already assembled by OverclockersUK as i didnt feel comfortable doing it myself. Anyway i took it apart and found the thermal paste didnt even cover the whole die. I am quite disappointed that a company like Overclockersuk did a poor job of applying thermal paste, however my GPU is in the upright orientation so perhaps this effects the thermal paste due to gravity? just a random thought.

I have since cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied my own. And now my GPU is working perfectly again!!! i now get 200FPS instead of the 80FPS i was getting.
i also noticed they didnt include the washers behind the screws for some reason. I did also put these on.

Temps also dont go much higher than 50 while underload!

Once again thank you! Im glad this has been resolved :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/WJIy70R picture of thermal paste

Glad it’s sorted :)

I’ve been tempted in the past to go with a prebuilt card, not that every card paste wise will be like yours, let’s hope the apprentice did that one :p. But at least doing it yourself you know it’s done correctly and there is next to no risk as long as you take your time.

That is crazy bad though. I’m surprised it lasted to be honest and didn’t go up in a cloud of smoke looking at that application.

It’s not a vertical mounted gpu is it?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Glad it’s sorted :)

I’ve been tempted in the past to go with a prebuilt card, not that every card paste wise will be like yours, let’s hope the apprentice did that one :p. But at least doing it yourself you know it’s done correctly and there is next to no risk as long as you take your time.

That is crazy bad though. I’m surprised it lasted to be honest and didn’t go up in a cloud of smoke looking at that application.

It’s not a vertical mounted gpu is it?

Poorly applying the paste is one thing but not putting the washers on? you legit have to take them out the bag that the screws were in... not sure how beneficial the washers are but they obviously serve a purpose :eek:

It is indeed a vertical mounted gpu, my guess is thats why it looked like it had slid down the card. Im also guessing this may happen again due to that but only time will tell.

Well thinking about it, if i did have the card in the horizontal orientation perhaps the paste would have evened out?

Soldato
Poorly applying the paste is one thing but not putting the washers on? you legit have to take them out the bag that the screws were in... not sure how beneficial the washers are but they obviously serve a purpose :eek:

It is indeed a vertical mounted gpu, my guess is thats why it looked like it had slid down the card. Im also guessing this may happen again due to that but only time will tell.

Well thinking about it, if i did have the card in the horizontal orientation perhaps the paste would have evened out?

It’s possible it wasn’t tightened properly and it may over time have started to run down the die. Although there are many vertical mounted GPU’s so I can’t see it being much of a problem generally.

It’s most probable it wasn't tightened properly or just wasn’t applied properly or poor liquidy thermal paste. Only time will.

In general the paste gap should be as minimal as possible. They are usually that close you see the etched nvidia logo imprinted into the heatsink/waterblock.

If it’s just on the head of the screw then it will be probably to minimise the risk of damage and the risk of a short etc as they usually have plastic washers on.

Associate
Anyway i took it apart and found the thermal paste didnt even cover the whole die. I am quite disappointed that a company like Overclockersuk did a poor job of applying thermal paste, however my GPU is in the upright orientation so perhaps this effects the thermal paste due to gravity? just a random thought.

That's a really interesting point, clearly gravity will have an effect over time (even glass slowly moves over 100's of years in its solid state) I guess the pertinent questions are:
- Does it have an effect within the lifetime of a GPU 5yrs for the sake of argument?
- Are different products more of less susceptible to movement over time?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I guess the pertinent questions are:
- Does it have an effect within the lifetime of a GPU 5yrs for the sake of argument?
- Are different products more of less susceptible to movement over time?

I fixed a mates 10yr old imac that had no display. Internally the GPU module is mounted in such a way that gravity is not helping. It did take over 10 years to play up but I cooked it and put it back together its working again.

As its barely 6 months there is cause for concern why it done that so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom