• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Are we any closer to having confirmed details the PS5 is backwards compatible with all PS4 games?

Still doesn't seem clear to me as there is conflicting info out there. If it's going to be similar the PS3 debacle again, I'll just but a PS4 Pro now and keep it long term.

Associate
Are we any closer to having confirmed details the PS5 is backwards compatible with all PS4 games?

Still doesn't seem clear to me as there is conflicting info out there. If it's going to be similar the PS3 debacle again, I'll just but a PS4 Pro now and keep it long term.

Nothing confirmed but it would be idiotic to not have backwards compatibility. Current gen is on x64 architecture so no reason why this couldn't be brought onto the new gen as consoles. New Gen is effectively a smaller gaming PC although, I would expect a phasing out period where they officially retire PS4/PS4 Pro during the life time of PS5 when they have enough adopters and or dev's are focusing on making PS5/Scarlett games only. I would guess that would happen after a couple of years maybe 3 as PS3 was discontinued 2 or 3 years ago.

Shawrey

Soldato
The top lines are not really possible to make out bu the next 3 look like network settings, i.e line 4 looks like "IP address". Apparently they are shaped like that so you can stack them and still ensure decent cooling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What I'm trying to work out is why there are two separate sides to it. Maybe in these dev kits, there is a CPU down one side and a GPU down the other. Perhaps the APU isn't ready yet.

Soldato
They might be built from off the shelf pc components and then fettled to represent PS5 hardware to get the system out to devs ASAP.

Still a year to go so hopefully they will come up with a half decent finish by then. I quite like the look of the Pro hope they do something similar. Just make it a lot quieter.....

Soldato
What I'm trying to work out is why there are two separate sides to it. Maybe in these dev kits, there is a CPU down one side and a GPU down the other. Perhaps the APU isn't ready yet.
On Spawnwaves youtube video they quoted a Twitter post which i guess is a dev that said it shaped like it is so multiple units can be stacked and still get decent cooling, plus they might have made a bit of a reference to the Roman numeral V.

Soldato
The only devkit that's ever looked anything like it's retail equivalent console is the PS2 Tool one, and even then it was much, much bigger. Realistically, there's no reason for them to look the same because they'd want to keep the final design a secret.

Back
Top Bottom