New dedicated VR Pc - £1500 reasonable?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hi all,

Got a new garden room being built where we'll have 8.5m x 4.5m of beautiful space for VR... ;)

So looking to kit out a couple of PCs to have VR headsets - lost track of all the GFX cards, CPUs, RAM latest news, so appreciate if anyone could spec or point me to a decent set up for VR?

Can be flexible on price if more needed, just don't want to get silly.

Many thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Thanks ExRayTed - very useful, this looks like it'll do nicely!

Quick question - what's a decent super tower style case at the moment? (I can never be bothered to be cramming the motherboard, oversized GFX cards, CPU coolers etc into little cases - I know it's physically possible, just a faff!)

Soldato
Soldato
Well a decent upgrade for the vive would possible be the valve index or even higher end with a pimax. So it may be worth upgrading the system but keeping your GPU until next gen.
Also what games do you currently play/intend to play?

Associate
OP
Well a decent upgrade for the vive would possible be the valve index or even higher end with a pimax. So it may be worth upgrading the system but keeping your GPU until next gen.
Also what games do you currently play/intend to play?

Useful advice - yes have half an eye on the index, although I thought the pimax was very good res/gov but lacking in other areas?

Would above rig run index fine without lag?

Games are pretty much anything - usual VR party games, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars etc etc

Soldato
Useful advice - yes have half an eye on the index, although I thought the pimax was very good res/gov but lacking in other areas?

Would above rig run index fine without lag?

Games are pretty much anything - usual VR party games, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars etc etc

Yes, the above rig would handle VR comfortably. If you were going pimax 8K, you may need more grunt for buttery smooth frames or next gen GPU

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Am snapping up all the parts for this through black Friday, cyber Monday, Mug's Tuesday and all the other silly sales events we've recently invented....!

Quick question - is there a major difference between the different models of the same graphics card?

Ie is one 2080 Super noticeably different to another?

Eg I've noticed OC have this almost £100 cheaper than above:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35m-ms.html

And then there's this one which is even cheaper but seems to be the same apart from the 'xs':
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...0TayRt31SSAJ0wtQMKIuSpnahE9uKnrUaAqNcEALw_wcB

What I can't tell is if this is a good deal for the same thing or if it's a lesser card - seems to be same manufacturer, same ram, same model etc........ Any hints???

There seems to be so many sub models from each firm now I'm struggling to see benchmarks etc

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

Am snapping up all the parts for this through black Friday, cyber Monday, Mug's Tuesday and all the other silly sales events we've recently invented....!

Quick question - is there a major difference between the different models of the same graphics card?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35m-ms.html

And then there's this one which is even cheaper but seems to be the same apart from the 'xs':
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...0TayRt31SSAJ0wtQMKIuSpnahE9uKnrUaAqNcEALw_wcB

What I can't tell is if this is a good deal for the same thing or if it's a lesser card - seems to be same manufacturer, same ram, same model etc........ Any hints???

There seems to be so many sub models from each firm now I'm struggling to see benchmarks etc

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, you may get a lot more advice/help from the gurus if you posed this question in the graphic card forum.

Associate
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I've just ordered the 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS. Think out of the box performance should be the same but the larger triple fan cards have better cooling which may effect overclock potential. Still a decent brand with 3 year warranty.

The XS is also missing the Usb-C virtuallink port. Not sure how much this matters since as far as I know none of the released VR headsets use it anyhow.

Soldato
<embarassed shuffling>

Ok, so the PC components arrived today and, er, guess who forgot to order a motherboard........ :rolleyes:

Can't seem to find anywhere with the Tomahawk Max still in stock, so any other suggestions for that range?
MSI's B450 Gaming Plus Max seems to be pretty close?

Oooops :D

Here are a couple of options.

The B450-A Pro which is on par with the Tomahawk (VRM wise), although not quite as aesthetically pleasing to the eye. You also have the more expensive B450 Gaming Pro Carbon. You might need to update the bios with bios flashback, although there have been people getting these boards with an up to date bios installed.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £220.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Back
Top Bottom