Opinions on Kolink?

Soldato
Having some issues with my machine at home and at this point I am looking at replacing the ageing PSU I currently have. It's a Thermaltake 700W modular that I have had since 2007.

So what's everyone's opinions on Kolink? Have seen this for a very reasonable price. Just want to know if anyone else has used Kolink before.

Soldato
What are the specs of your rig?

That's a trash PSU, 1000w at that price, not a chance in hell is that sporting quality components. Frankly I wouldn't touch Kolink PSU's with a ten foot pole, even their higher end units are average at best with crap warranties.

Man of Honour
Garbage. It's cheap for a reason. Someone took apart a KL500M (same series as the one you linked to) and it had the cheapest, nastiest internal components they could find in the bottom of the component bins. Avoid and buy a decent psu. There are some cracking deals on at the moment so there is no excuse to skimp on a psu. All of these are massively better than a crappy Kolink:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The pair of Corsair RM-x units are a particularly good value with their 10 year warranties.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your help guys. Lol. Definitely going to stay away from them.

The specs of my machine are as follows:

Intel i7 4770K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
16GB RAM
AMD RX 390 Compact GPU
1x Sandisk 240GB SSD
1x Corsair 1TB SSD
2x Seagate 2TB HDD

So nothing out of the ordinary really. I'll take a look at the others that has been recommended. :D

Soldato
Quality 650W PSU would handle that PC.

At the moment would recommend these:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020187-uk-ca-252-cs.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-06k-ss.html
That Seasonic is absolute top serie model with notch behind the top efficiency and 12 year warranty.

Bitfenix Formula would be budget PSU choise.
And Phanteks AMP is Seasonic Focus based, so level below that Prime model.
Though if you have small cramped case Phanteks AMP/Seasonic Focus is as compact as ATX PSUs come.

Soldato
Garbage. It's cheap for a reason. Someone took apart a KL500M (same series as the one you linked to) and it had the cheapest, nastiest internal components they could find in the bottom of the component bins. Avoid and buy a decent psu. There are some cracking deals on at the moment so there is no excuse to skimp on a psu. All of these are massively better than a crappy Kolink:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The pair of Corsair RM-x units are a particularly good value with their 10 year warranties.
Have you got a link to the teardown?

Soldato
KL-400 internals here and KL-C500 internals and load test here. Cheap and nasty internals, abysmal efficiency and rails out of spec. Little better than a no name generic psu.
I just realised I have actually posted in the 400w thread!

Thanks for supplying links.

If you got one of these for nothing, and recapped with good quality brand electrolytics, they would be an acceptable low end power supply. That mains cap though at only 400v and 120uf or 180uf in the 500w version is poor. 450v would be preferable to take the transient spikes from the APC, as I bet you that mains cap doesn't last long, and the hold up time, although I can't see it in the review, will probably be very poor as well. If you had a 330uf 450v cap in there the whole PSU would perform better. The reason the transformer is probably overheating is because its's saturated as it's undersized which might be ok in a DC-DC unit but not in a group-regulated unit like this one.

Back
Top Bottom