i9 9900k Direct Die Delidding

Associate
In the process of deliding my i9 9900k.
All went well , done the delid, removed the solder and polished the die slightly to bring to a shine with metal polish.
I've got the Der Bauer OC Frame and know that the height of the chip is lower (by approx 2mm) due to the removal of the IHS.

I have a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler which I have been extremely happy with and would very much like to stick with it.
To save me time and hassle I am looking to see if any of you guys may have any experience/info if it is possible with this cooler i.e. will it reach the die or if it doesnt is there any mod I can do so it does?

thanks for any input.

Soldato
In the process of deliding my i9 9900k.
All went well , done the delid, removed the solder and polished the die slightly to bring to a shine with metal polish.
I've got the Der Bauer OC Frame and know that the height of the chip is lower (by approx 2mm) due to the removal of the IHS.

I have a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler which I have been extremely happy with and would very much like to stick with it.
To save me time and hassle I am looking to see if any of you guys may have any experience/info if it is possible with this cooler i.e. will it reach the die or if it doesnt is there any mod I can do so it does?

thanks for any input.
If you have the frame then the cooler will work fine, that’s what the frame was designed for

Soldato
Be interested to see performance as generally direct die is a step reserved for custom loop level cooling.

I'd make sure to clean that metal polish off thoroughly with degreaser like isopropyl alcohol. It's not the shine that's important, it's the flatness. Check performance, no need to lap if the die is flat.

Associate
OP
Thanks woopy.
The frame though is only to hold the CPU in place it doesnt solve issue with the height loss from the loss of the HIS.

Associate
OP
Cheers Lucky

I have cleaned the die thoroughly.
I think the Dark Rock Pro 4 should be up for the job. I'm not trying to break any OC records or anything just want all cores @ 5GHz (or mabey slightly above) while keeping temps down a bit to keep the fan speed/noise down.

Associate
OP
31tfon02qqg21.jpg
I’m using the frame with my 9900k and it does exactly that, that’s what it’s for to replace the IHS

What cooler are you using Woopy? It maybe works with your cooler or with some other AIO's or custom water cooling solutions as you sometimes have more play with the height between the CPU and the cooloing plate of the cooler. But for air coolers there can be an issue. The frame doesn't affect to height of the CPU it merely holds the CPU in place. i.e. with removing the HIS you are removing 2-3mm in height/distance between the die and the cooling plate of the cooler.

Soldato
31tfon02qqg21.jpg

What cooler are you using Woopy? It maybe works with your cooler or with some other AIO's or custom water cooling solutions as you sometimes have more play with the height between the CPU and the cooloing plate of the cooler. But for air coolers there can be an issue. The frame doesn't affect to height of the CPU it merely holds the CPU in place. i.e. with removing the HIS you are removing 2-3mm in height/distance between the die and the cooling plate of the cooler.
A dark rock pro on that, ballsy.

Soldato
31tfon02qqg21.jpg

I’m using a water block but the frame when installed is the same hight as the die, put a ruler across it you will see, once again that’s the whole point of the frame so you can direct die cool without the ihs, that’s why you have to remove the mounting bracket.

Caporegime
Because he's removed the IHS his cooler needs to sit nearer the motherboard.

Not all air coolers mounting hardware have the required adjustability to get close enough.

Soldato
Because he's removed the IHS his cooler needs to sit nearer the motherboard.

Not all air coolers mounting hardware have the required adjustability to get close enough.
Ahh right now I understand, if that’s the case I would get rid of the frame and reapply the bracket, sand down the underside of the IHS to account for the removed solder and the use LM in the die and the underside of the IHS

Associate
OP
Ahh right now I understand, if that’s the case I would get rid of the frame and reapply the bracket, sand down the underside of the IHS to account for the removed solder and the use LM in the die and the underside of the IHS
I am trying to go direct to die and avoid the IHS but thanks for your input Woopy. \m/

Associate
OP
Guess I just need to bite the bullet and see how it goes then (if needed) try to find a way to reduce the height of the mounting brackets for the cooler.
I have at it once I get some free time and post the results.
Meantime if anyone discovers this post and has had a similar conundrum or has any ideas I would appreciate any input.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom