The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Can't type for toffee
Don
deffo need to sort my dough out, used the recipe above from Pizzapp without the lifetime dose of salt.
Dough came out very elastic, I could stretch/roll to about 10-12" leave it for 20 secs if that and it was back to half it's size :/
Was left on the bench for around 10Hrs then a few hrs in fridge, then out for an hour before cooking.

Where did I go wrong?

As for the uuni easy enough to use but is it normal for it now to be coated in black soot?
The first base was alright bu then after that the bases werent so "leapoardin" more so "panthered" lmao but if I took them out any earlier the dough and topping simply werent cooked.
I've orded an IR thermometer and tink gonna try a diff base recipe

Soldato
Where did I go wrong?
you have to be pretty forceful - with fingertip-pushing/pinching - to break its gluten I guess -
rolling doesn't exert enough pressure, and mine would be too wet to roll anyway.

I remove from fridge usually 3 hours before use too ... gives it time to come back to life, and often wet if I use it too soon.

Soldato
I think I'd bin
Hi! I’m Del, originally from France, Sweden, and now living in Chicago
horrible shortening of Delphine !

I never make 100% wholemeal breads of any kind, maybe 33% max, since you just don't get the gluten structure, and a lot of the pro/factory stuff has some additional E#'s to get 'air'/rise in it, getting really freshly milled flour (which i never realkly have) becomes more important too, as the additional protein/germ can further inhibit it if old/rancidity.
- but the picture make it look like it was rolled too and probably cooked on greaseproof, and turning out like a flatbread.
with these quick rise recipes too, can get more undesirable residual taste of dried yeast .. so I have multi-hour rises.

Can't type for toffee
Don
It actually turned out alright tbh, I ovened it as a tester.
Got a little rise out of it and a handfull of bubbles, the bits that went crispy were very tasty.
Think either my yest is knackered of I used water that was too hot as it didnt froth like last time

Associate
Hi Guys, I have an uuni 3 and have just read back a few pages. I am interested in trying to use logs instead of the pellets as an experiment. Can anyone give feedback on using logs vs pellets?

Don
Marco Fuso recipe dough

Caputo Nuvola flour, 70% Biga, started with 67% hydration but had to add a little more flour as was so sticky

I have always had trouble stretching but this was easiest by far

Toppings , Mutti sauce, fior di latte cheese, parma ham, nduja, mushrooms, sweet peppers and a bit of parmesan

91903962_10156982139941847_1486939311625469952_o.jpg

Soldato
fior di latte cheese
uneducated had to look that up .. local cheese shop - puddles less than moz ?
Di Meglio explained that American mozzarella is usually made with cow’s milk and that in Italy, mozzarella made from cow’s milk in Italy is called fior di latte. “It is usually made with whole milk and has a high moisture content,” he said. The cheese’s texture is firmer than buffalo mozzarella and slightly off-white.

Do you pre sauté mushrooms ... I usually do a few extra now(omelettes) and keep in the fridge.

Don
uneducated had to look that up .. local cheese shop - puddles less than moz ?
Di Meglio explained that American mozzarella is usually made with cow’s milk and that in Italy, mozzarella made from cow’s milk in Italy is called fior di latte. “It is usually made with whole milk and has a high moisture content,” he said. The cheese’s texture is firmer than buffalo mozzarella and slightly off-white.

Do you pre sauté mushrooms ... I usually do a few extra now(omelettes) and keep in the fridge.

yes the cheese is much better, no grease puddles

mushrooms went on raw

Soldato
last night moz+jalep+ham
.... the cheapest basics moz from asda seems firmer than their regular ... never sure how much flavour to expect from the moz versus other ingrediants, which (always?) overpower it.
Need to try, intentionally, dropping moz lumps on the stone ... those burned bits, the next day, when it's cold are great. (like the skin on custard say)

49727258557_f12bba6cb1_o_d.jpg

Soldato
I've been looking at getting an Ooni recently but can't decide which option is the best for me. I'd originally planned on getting the 3, but on reading around a few people say the pellets are a pain and the burner attachment makes things so much better. If I was doing that, I might as well just get the Koda. I like the idea of wood, but I think gas would just be so much easier so it would get a lot more use.

Soldato
I don't really find using pellets to be a pain. Cooking pizza in this way is quite hands on anyway, so it's easy enough to top the pellets up when a pizza comes out, ready for the next one. We used our Ooni 3 a couple of times this week, and although it's solid fuelled, it's so much easier and cleaner than the BBQ.

The only awkward bit I've found with pellets is trying to use the chimney cap as a scoop. They get stuck in the lip and go everywhere. Much easier with a proper scoop.

Soldato
Marco Fuso recipe dough

Caputo Nuvola flour, 70% Biga, started with 67% hydration but had to add a little more flour as was so sticky

I have always had trouble stretching but this was easiest by far

Toppings , Mutti sauce, fior di latte cheese, parma ham, nduja, mushrooms, sweet peppers and a bit of parmesan

91903962_10156982139941847_1486939311625469952_o.jpg

That looks great. N'duja is my favourite pizza topping by a mile. Local neopolitan place where I used to live did one with a little moz, n'duja, finely sliced red onion, a little thinly sliced pepperoni, and then a very light criss-cross drizzle of honey. It is spectacular :)

Back
Top Bottom