Converting file systems on the fly

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've got a couple of flash drives that I use on different platforms; some only read fat32, some exfat and some ntfs etc. I've used a command in Windows before to convert the fs without formatting the drive. Can someone remind me?

I just followed a web guide and ended up formatting the drive, fortunately I had a backup :p

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you not? I thought you could? I'm sure i had a command that basically meant you could flip between the big three...

Reasonably certain there is nothing built in which would do this, I imagine there would be too many complexities in these file systems to make it possible to seamlessly move between them.

There may be a third party tool that would do it but I'd be surprised.

Soldato
What systems are you using it on and what kind of files are they?

Might be easier to have cloud storage that syncs to the flash drives when you plug them into each system. Got to be faster than converting them all over and over.

Soldato
OP
What systems are you using it on and what kind of files are they?

Might be easier to have cloud storage that syncs to the flash drives when you plug them into each system. Got to be faster than converting them all over and over.
Mainly proprietary systems at work, but some mac and some linux too. I'm being lazy, but also tidy - I should keep about 3x on a chain, save me keep converting...

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Can't you just create 3 different partitions on the same drive?
GENIUS.

I seriously keep forgetting you can partition flash memory - I think it stems from a cheap Chinese stick I used for media going bad on me. I used to use that for watching content on different platforms; ps4, bluray, tv's etc.

Thanks mate!

Back
Top Bottom