Untested items on ebay listed as used

Associate
I am seeing more and more listings where items are listed as used but then in the small print the item is described as untested and no returns. Is this practice permissible? I bet 99% of these items are junk and not working and the sellers are knowingly listing them as used. Why would they do this when they know that the buyers will get their money back if they escalate the dispute?

Soldato
I've noticed similar the last couple of days while looking for switch games and people posting used items with the new (other) status and putting "as new" condition in the description.

That's doesn't mean it's new you idiot, it's still used!!

I doubt reporting them would do much good though :/

Soldato
I've noticed similar the last couple of days while looking for switch games and people posting used items with the new (other) status and putting "as new" condition in the description.

That's doesn't mean it's new you idiot, it's still used!!

I doubt reporting them would do much good though :/

This term, has always (historically) been used to describe something used that's in "as new" condition - like it had only just been taken out of the box. At least that's how it used to be on Trade-It and then like back in the per ebay days.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't "untested" mean automatically "parts or not working" as it cannot be "used" when there is a strong chance it will not work?

Associate
This term, has always (historically) been used to describe something used that's in "as new" condition - like it had only just been taken out of the box. At least that's how it used to be on Trade-It and then like back in the per ebay days.
since when? "As new" is still unused (so new and unused, but missing the shrink wrap) - so a Switch game that's been plugged into a Switch once is used - not "as new"
An Xbox game with fingerprints on the bottom isn't "as new", neither is a cartridge game with scratch marks on the metal contacts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/pages/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html
and https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/item-condition
no mention that "new - other" or "as new" is allowable for a game that's being resold as it's been completed, but you know, it's still almost 90% pristine.

Last edited:
Soldato
New - other implies to me that the item is new but not strictly retail, e.g. an RMA replacement, factory second etc. A used item might be in very good "as new" condition, but it's a bit of a stretch to state that it actually is new

Soldato
since when?

Here you go chap:

At least that's how it used to be on Trade-It and then like back in the pre ebay days.
typo corrected for clarification

"As new" is still unused (so new and unused, but missing the shrink wrap) - so a Switch game that's been plugged into a Switch once is used - not "as new"
An Xbox game with fingerprints on the bottom isn't "as new", neither is a cartridge game with scratch marks on the metal contacts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/pages/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html
and https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/item-condition
no mention that "new - other" or "as new" is allowable for a game that's being resold as it's been completed, but you know, it's still almost 90% pristine.

Yikes, got out of the wrong side of bed or something, or do you feel "stung" because you have purchased something as new and it wasn't New?

Look - the phrase "as new" has always* been used to describe a used item, that is in such great condition, you would be forgiven for thinking that it has only just come out of the box. Your example of the Switch game above would fit that requirement - irrespective of how many times it has been played, unless the owner is a minger, the game will be used but in nearly new condition - or A+ as eBay and Amazon like to call them.

You have to use your head though - though it seems that far too many people these days, are too stupid to actually read a listing, study photos, and take into considerations that the item that they are buying is £10-20 below retail cost - so (shock horror) might not actually be new!!

I have no idea what eBay's categories are, but here's a free handy guide for you:

New - brand spanking new, as you would buy it in a shop (cellophane/tags/etc)
As new - an item in great condition, though considered as used
Used - same as above, but maybe in a more worn condition?

* based on my ~40 years on this planet, and buying/selling a lot of things

Soldato
Apologies to the OP for the slight derailment of the thread! I appreciate that my posts haven't been particularly eBay-centric; but I thought I could at least offer a bit of input as to the whole "as new" phrase.

Edit: mini brain wave, guessing "As New" might come from "As it would be if it were New"?

Last edited:
Soldato
guessing "As New" might come from "As it would be if it were New"?
Or just 'as good as new'...

Why would they do this when they know that the buyers will get their money back if they escalate the dispute?
Yes, it's perfectly permissible.
If you go up a scrappies and get a part for your car, it's sold as seen. Might work, might not, but for that money and in those volumes, the scrappie is not going to sit down and test every single component on every single vehicle that passes through his gates... Neither will a volume dealer in whatever you're looking at.
A private seller of a single item would be better off taking five minutes to test it and show a photo, assuming they have the required charger and all that, but if they just seem too lazy then don't buy. Simple as. Those pulling a fast one are relying on you not being arsed to escalate the issue.

Associate
OP
If you go up a scrappies and get a part for your car, it's sold as seen. Might work, might not, but for that money and in those volumes, the scrappie is not going to sit down and test every single component on every single vehicle that passes through his gates... Neither will a volume dealer in whatever you're looking at.

To sell on ebay they would have to advertise as (parts/not working) and not "used".

Soldato
To sell on ebay they would have to advertise as (parts/not working) and not "used".
Given that it is parts they're offering and not a complete scrap-car (unless you ask for such), that's pretty straightforward.
But then, if you see in the description that it's 'untested' it's then up to you and your own judgement as to whether it's worth the gamble or not. Caveat emptor and all that.

Soldato
There's no point putting 'untested'

It will lead to
1- fewer buyers
2- if is faulty you'll have to refund anyway

I guess it depends on the item(s) really. For instance, the Wife and I sell a lot of old Hornby and Wrenn Railways items on eBay - I don't have the facilities or skills to test and service these items; so I will often list them as untested, but make sure that I describe how the items have been stored for several decades - at least a buyer will then know what they are getting.

My father in law used to test some of the items for us on a basic strip of track (forward and reverse), the listing would go up saying "runs well in both directions" or the like; but we had a few instances where the buyer received it - it had either stopped working by then, or didn't run as well as they wanted. That just opened up a can of worms, so we opted to simply list the items as untested, with a lot of text stressing the item had been unused and stored for many years. Now we get zero hassles for returns/partial refunds.

eBay is a funny place at times - I'm fairly certain I read somewhere, either their forums or a 'help' page; that you cannot actually put a disclaimer on an item. Which makes listing older things like said locos, a bit of a pain at times - I have to stress in numerous places on the advert that these things are old, unused, untested and that the photos will offer the best description (a cover all attempt) - but I also offer people the option to contact us for more photos to help clarify any condition or markings etc.

The Wife is flogging an iPad on there at the moment - I was dreading listing that, as it's the first bit of tech we've sold on the site; just hoping we don't end up falling for a scam.

Soldato
dont really see the issue here, seems similar to for example ocuk's b-grade stuff, if it's listed as such and you know what you're risking then it's fine.

this would only be an issue if they're doing that and claiming the items are new.

Soldato
dont really see the issue here, seems similar to for example ocuk's b-grade stuff, if it's listed as such and you know what you're risking then it's fine.
That's how it should be and that's how a lot of people take it.... but there are some proper ***** out there, who will throw a right eppie over it, and Ebay will generally side with them, making sellers far less likely to sell on there.

Caporegime
If it is an individual seller, not some shop or bulk seller type then it is a big red flag... like it doesn't take long to plug in say a console and check it still works. They might as well just be honest and say it is broken and make that really clear, if someone buys it and didn't notice the "untested" bit then they'll just return it anyway/raise a dispute.

Associate
with some categories on Ebay they only give you the option of new or used, if you have an older item that hasn't been used it is not covered, for instance an old present you were given which you never used, but you can't say its new, but it isn't used
You should always read the description, not the item specifics

Back
Top Bottom