Taking freeview and streaming it over home network?

Soldato
Are there any boxes or software that I can use to take my freeview, from an aerial, and then stream it over my network to say a firestick or tablet.

There used to be a box the Noovo TVMan WiFi Live TV Hotspot & Multimedia Stream Tablet/Smartphones Maplin which would do exactly as I need but I havent been able to track one down - anyone know of any alternatives?

Soldato
Hdhomerun works well but very few devices work well with interlaced video so picture quality isn't as good as you'll get from a built in tv tuner.

The 4k fire stick also has a firmware issue that means it crashes when it tries to deinterlace video.

Only steaming device I've found that works well is the shield.

Soldato
The nvidia shield is just a streaming device (netflix, prime, iplayer etc) but it's a very capable one and has the power to deinterlace which is good for tv.

The hdhomerun connects to your aerial and your network and it can then be accessed via streaming device, phone, pc or tablet by using the hdhomerun app or through plex, emby and a few other dvr solutions.

Soldato
I use an old amazon fire stick (gen 2) upstairs and I only really notice issues with interlaced video when watching sport so for a second TV it's fine.

Apparently hdhomerun have updated the app on the 4k fire stick to turn off deinterlacing so it shouldn't crash anymore.

Soldato
There's actually a quite good app called TVCatchup which, despite the name..., lets you view LIVE Freeview content.

There's apps for android, apple and firestick/roku - plus you can just view it in your web browser: http://tvcatchup.com

I've actually got a TV Tuner card in my Plex server with 4 tuners that lets me watch live TV anywhere I can use Plex but more handely it means I can record to my Plex server and view the recordings anywhere.

Ignore me - this obviously broke at somepoint. I'll admit I haven't used it for a while since I got my TV Tuner card!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have used TVCatchup for ages but recently it just doesn't work, gets to the page, app loads etc but it wont work - is yours still working, I thought the provider was gone?

Soldato
I have used TVCatchup for ages but recently it just doesn't work, gets to the page, app loads etc but it wont work - is yours still working, I thought the provider was gone?

You're right! It seems very broken! I noticed when I installed the TVCatchup app on my firetv (or what I thought was the tvcatchup app) it had a different icon, but maybe it was something different. Strange! Oh well! Not a problem for me since I don't really use it any more but I'll double check what I was using and see if that still works when I get home.

Soldato
OP
update - got a HDHomerun quattro and I have to say, apart from the EPG, I am impressed, works well, little to no stutter (only does when the TV signal is poor due to atmospherics) and does exactly what it says on the tin.

The unit was small, very small, and I was a little disappointed that was all I got for £113, but when I got it up and running, in little less than 10 mins I was pleased. I would recommend to anyone, only slight criticism is the lack of a useful EPG, I'd like one that does more than just what is on now, but I think you have to subscribe for the DVR for it - shame.

Soldato
to subscribe for the DVR for it
I still have hopes that if I got a HDhomerun , I could use a free pvr app on a re-purposed window setup
the underlying xmltv epg feed seems to be free, equally the freetime one (is that part of the broadcast stream?), so I wouldn't be signing up for a monthly charge,
rather put the money into, say, windows (nuc type) hardware wher you can access an open/free epg system eg https://sichbopvr.com/

Back
Top Bottom