Gsync monitors to support freesync

Soldato
Let me start by saying that this is certainly not a negative for the consumer. It's great. More choice, more options. However i'm left with this uneasy feeling that we have yet to see nvidia's endgame. Call me paranoid, and you'd hopefully be right, but I don't see nvidia opening up their close garden out of the good of their hearts. But as long as the consumer benefits I guess I cant or wont complain about it. I just wish that the Freesync and Gsync compatible branding would go away and we could call it for what it is which is Adaptive sync. Would clear so much confusion for the less informed.

bru

bru

Soldato
Surely their end game is to have GSync as the branding on everything. Which of course they are well on the way to doing.
In the end it's good for the customers as it will take a lot the guesswork out of buying monitors.

Only the die hard red team supporters will hate it. ;)

Soldato
Surely their end game is to have GSync as the branding on everything. Which of course they are well on the way to doing.
In the end it's good for the customers as it will take a lot the guesswork out of buying monitors.

You don't have to be a die hard red team support to dislike the idea of nVidia's branding on everything that isn't nvidia developed. I'm here referring to the pure adaptive sync monitors without a gsync module of course.

Man of Honour

Same thing has been happening with Vulkan - there is now a bunch of nv specific extensions to it that have no AMD equivalent and they've pushed deep on the documentation/support, etc. side in terms of things like "best practises", etc. to try and get developers to make code that runs optimally on their GPUs.

Man of Honour
I think the end result will be most monitors using the new gsync chips which means both NV and AMD GPU's work with them. But I don't see that as a good thing. The alternative is for NV to adopt Freesync instead at no extra cost. Freesync is an open standard. That would be much better for the consumer because the extra cost of the gsync license won't have to be passed onto them.

Option 1 - Everyone adopts freesync - no license costs
Option 2 - Everyone adopts gsync with freesync compatibility - monitor makers have to pay a license to NV, which is then passed onto the customer as higher prices

The net result is the same except the consumer pays the license cost to NV via the monitor manufacturer.

Man of Honour
NVIDIA already adopted FreeSync in January so you can use adaptive sync monitors with their graphics cards :) I don’t think there’s a plan to use the hardware Gsync module for everything as it adds to the cost and is more limiting in features like connectivity

Back
Top Bottom