New build - already dead

Associate
Here is the new system i bought last week :)

Has been working fine, gpu has slight coil whine but nothing major.

Been playing games on it daily, ran heaven benchmark overnight on first day i had it. Today i played a few hours of GTA online. But when i went to turn it on this evening, no signal to monitor?

so far i have tried

- Laptop plugged into monitor to see if monitor fault - worked fine
- updating bios, use the ez flash, flashes red a few times and stops - nothing
- reseated cpu - nothing
- reseated ram - nothing
- reseated gpu - nothing
- unplugged all power cables from psu, re plugged back in - nothing.
- unplugged m.2 drive and tried to power on - nothing

All fans come on, the msi mystic lights comes on and cycle the colours, the ezdebug lights (set of 4 in top right of mobo) occasionally stick at the boot light but always go all off. When they do go all off its like the USB loses power as the keybaord and mouse RGB goes off then comes back on again and the ezdebug lights cycle again - but if i recall correctly it always did this before windows....

Any help would be appreciated as i have no idea what i need to send back for replacement, or could i drive the ocuk store with the card to have it replaced? Even if i look to switch brand to the sapphire pulse?

Last edited:
Associate
Here is the new system i bought last week :)

Has been working fine, gpu has slight coil whine but nothing major.

Been playing games on it daily, ran heaven benchmark overnight on first day i had it. Today i played a few hours of GTA online. But when i went to turn it on this evening, no signal to monitor?

so far i have tried

- Laptop plugged into monitor to see if monitor fault - worked fine
- updating bios, use the ez flash, flashes red a few times and stops - nothing
- reseated cpu - nothing
- reseated ram - nothing
- reseated gpu - nothing
- unplugged all power cables from psu, re plugged back in - nothing.
- unplugged m.2 drive and tried to power on - nothing

All fans come on, the msi mystic lights comes on and cycle the colours, the ezdebug lights (set of 4 in top right of mobo) occasionally stick at the boot light but always go all off. When they do go all off its like the USB loses power as the keybaord and mouse RGB goes off then comes back on again and the ezdebug lights cycle again - but if i recall correctly it always did this before windows....

Any help would be appreciated as i have no idea what i need to send back for replacement, or could i drive the ocuk store with the card to have it replaced? Even if i look to switch brand to the sapphire pulse?

Not tried resetting cmos?

Associate
OP
Not tried resetting cmos?

Eeeeerm. Slightly embarrassing here

bloody hell, used the jumper to reset cmos, booted right away ha! That’s usually the first thing I would check, I guess I didn’t as the only setting I changed for now is an xmp on ram.

bios now fully updated and all running smooth again.

Reminds me of when I built my first pc and I forgot to actually plug the power supply to the mains!!

Last edited:
Associate

bloody hell, used the jumper to reset cmos, booted right away ha! That’s usually the first thing I would check, I guess I didn’t as the only setting I changed for now is an xmp on ram.

Reminds me of when I built my first pc and I forgot to actually plug the power supply to the mains!!

:p, glad you got it sorted.

Associate

First PC I built, I forgot the hard switch on the PSU. So I've finished the build, and I'm sitting at my desk like Billy Bignuts all pleased with myself for building a system, and I'm pressing the power button on the case and it's dead as the proverbial, and my guts are making a play to exit my body...

Associate
OP
First PC I built, I forgot the hard switch on the PSU. So I've finished the build, and I'm sitting at my desk like Billy Bignuts all pleased with myself for building a system, and I'm pressing the power button on the case and it's dead as the proverbial, and my guts are making a play to exit my body...

haha, we have all been there!

Associate
OP
Scrap that, tonight it’s doing it again. Tried 6 different bios updates, can get to windows after numerous resets, last time it took 32 resets as I was getting angry and counting to my wife’s dismay! It does boot occasionally but as soon as you turn it off it won’t boot again.

so far I have tried

different psu
Different ssd
Various ram in various slots
Remounted cpu
Remounted GPU
6 different bios files.

I think the mother board is faulty :( or the GPU as no signal output..... don’t know which to RMA to overclockers and don’t want additional cost now :(

do I contact overclockers or msi to RMA it?

Soldato
I have had a similar problem, similar specs too!

Computer won't post, but will boot up, tried everything, narrowed it down to the motherboard.

Thought was gpu a t first as VGA light on Mobo is on, but I've tried on board, different monitor etc and still nothing!

Soldato
still within 14 days so board shouldn't have to go back to MSI EU and be a straight swap when RMA confirms it

every GPU will have some form of coil whine, even if you cant hear it , it will be there.
Way to lower it is to run stress/benchmarking programs in a loop for a good 2 hours . Should lesson the whine . Vendors dont stress test their cards for a long period of time, not enough to lower the whine

Associate
Sounds like the classic cold boot issue of the MSI B450 boards - plenty of threads on their forums about it. Some claim it is fixed, some say not.
I assume you are on the latest BIOS? I think you need to clear CMOS before flashing it, otherwise that causes issues too.

Associate

Sometimes it's the simple things we forget.

Associate
OP
All is well!!!

unbuilt the whole Pc

flashed the bios with only 24 and 8 pin power to the board nothing else, again I was flashing the bios using ez flash port but didn’t dissemble the whole pc

running perfect and have waited 3 days to post this!!! Cold boots fine, restated over 30 times to be sure! Power off all night and boots first time

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Believe me, when you think you've done everything and go to switch it on and nothing happens... Heart attack material there :p

Usually always ends up being something small that causes these issues

Back
Top Bottom