Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Soldato
Spot the deliberate distortion there pal?

I believe that what Jeremy Corbyn said was that it should "depend on the circumstances" as to whether terrorists should be released early from jail, not the lie propagated by rabid, simple-minded Tories.
Did he not also further suggest a proper psychological assessment should be a prerequisite of any early release, rather than automatic as it seemingly is now, or even via parole board?

Caporegime
The evidence is there if you look. This took me a second to find.

Corbyn: Terrorists 'should not necessarily' serve full jail terms
How about context to what he said rather than your blatant distorting?
Corbyn said: “I think terrorists should be sentenced, as they are, and they should be released as and when they have completed a significant proportion of their sentence and they’ve undergone rehabilitation and they are considered safe to the public as a whole. I do think that continuing with the process allows people to be released ahead of final complete of their sentence if they’ve been rehabilitated and they have been suitably assessed and they are very strictly monitored when they come out – I think that must be the correct way of doing things.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Still, let's blame it on "legislation introduced under 'a leftie government'" which hasn't been in power for a while and which the Tory Government was too busy to reverse, most recently because it wanted to get something half baked done :rolleyes:
9 years they have had to change it..it wasnt even in their manifesto before friday

presumably with prison overcrowding its cheaper to let people out earlier than build new prisons and staff them correctly

Soldato
Politicians offering their usual meaningless 'thoughts and prayers' today.
I'll be going to the girls funeral. A completely pointless, avoidable death.

Soldato
How about context to what he said rather than your blatant distorting?

Corbyn said: “I think terrorists should be sentenced, as they are, and they should be released as and when they have completed a significant proportion of their sentence and they’ve undergone rehabilitation and they are considered safe to the public as a whole. I do think that continuing with the process allows people to be released ahead of final complete of their sentence if they’ve been rehabilitated and they have been suitably assessed and they are very strictly monitored when they come out – I think that must be the correct way of doing things.

I'll keep your quote in, I'll assume its correct. So, read what you quoted. Doesn't that happen now? The guy was released and people thought he was rehabilitated... how did that turn out?

In the face of a breakdown in the system and Corbyn still thinks the system is working fine :rolleyes:

He's literally describing how the system is now. Hardly anyone completes a full sentence.

Soldato
Spot the deliberate distortion there pal?

I believe that what Jeremy Corbyn said was that it should "depend on the circumstances" as to whether terrorists should be released early from jail, not the lie propagated by rabid, simple-minded Tories.

The officials thought this guy had been rehabilitated. He was attending a rehabilitation course called "Living Together".

This episode shows that some types of prisoners can't be rehabilitated. If you lived in a Nazi country and wanted to make trouble for them and they jailed you for 6 years, would you come out of the jail suddenly thinking nazism was ok?

Soldato
I'll keep your quote in, I'll assume its correct. So, read what you quoted. Doesn't that happen now? The guy was released and people thought he was rehabilitated... how did that turn out?

No. He was released on licence automatically without any assessment by the parole board.

Soldato
What did that dude who was walking off with the knife throw away? Looked like a massive bag of pills or something!

Caporegime
The evidence is there if you look. This took me a second to find.

Corbyn: Terrorists 'should not necessarily' serve full jail terms
I think anyone convicted of terrorism - the point of which is usually to take life - should simply serve life, had this been the case with mr nut job on Friday two people would still be alive for a start....

Corbyn just can’t help himself, you’d have thought someone like him who’s rightly criticised for at best being sympathetic towards such people would have had a bit more common sense than to say what he did after Friday, oh no, not that moron.

The prospect of him being PM in a few days time is truly scary.

Caporegime
I think anyone convicted of terrorism - the point of which is usually to take life - should simply serve life, had this been the case with mr nut job on Friday two people would still be alive for a start....

Corbyn just can’t help himself, you’d have thought someone like him who’s rightly criticised for at best being sympathetic towards such people would have had a bit more common sense than to say what he did after Friday, oh no, not that moron.

You realise owning the anarchists cookbook can get you on that list?

Should they be put away for life? This is where I wonder about people’s logic around justice and the lovely fallacy of slippery slope, perhaps whether they realise just what they are asking for.

He’s taken the position that makes sense when you take his statement as a whole, and still allows for your life sentence if it’s appropriate. If the tories wanted to put these people back into prison on life sentences, then they could have done so at any point from 2010 until this election was called.

I’ll remind you that the the knee jerk response after 9/11 for which this person was sentenced to term via IPP, was a disaster. So a real response needs actual thought put into it, before it’s used irresponsibly again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You realise owning the anarchists cookbook can get you on that list?
I should hope owning a copy of a book that’s legality has been questioned in numerous countries, contains details of amongst other things how to make explosives and who’s own author tried to get it withdrawn from circulation would drop you in a whole world of **** tbh, that it doesn’t is probably part of the problem we’ve created in society.

Caporegime
I should hope owning a copy of a book that’s legality has been questioned in numerous countries, contains details of amongst other things how to make explosives and who’s own author tried to get it withdrawn from circulation would drop you in a whole world of **** tbh, that it doesn’t is probably part of the problem we’ve created in society.

You don’t see a civil liberty there being repressed? I don’t necessarily disagree with it’s inclusion as an offence to own, but still there’s some perspective we need to grasp as a society... what do we value out of freedoms?

I’m a realist ultimately, but I don’t enjoy losing liberties for a vainglorious failure to protect our society that was built on those liberties. I feel it starts making people complacent and psychologically neutered into accepting further losses.

Further more there is the fallacy of tolerance, terrorism is ultimately utterly intolerable and so it’s logical to expunge ourselves of it, but we should be wise about it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/boris-johnson-election-issue-london-bridge-attack

Despite one of the victims’ families pleading for their son’s death not to be used as an excuse for kneejerk political reaction, Johnson claimed that “a lefty government” was responsible for Usman Khan being freed.

The family of Jack Merritt called for the murder of “our beautiful, talented boy” to not be exploited for political gain

In a statement, his family reiterated their call for his murder to not be exploited for political gain.

They said: “We know Jack would not want this terrible, isolated incident to be used as a pretext by the government for introducing even more draconian sentences on prisoners, or for detaining people in prison for longer than necessary.”

The family added: “Jack lived his principles: he believed in redemption and rehabilitation – not revenge – and he always took the side of the underdog.”

Soldato

Meanwhile, back in the real world, people who commit crimes get released. And the stats show that countries with the best rehab programs and most progressive sentencing have lower crime rates.

I really don't get why (other than the obvious CORBYN IS A NUTTER brigade) people are finding a problem with what he's said. You keep anyone convicted of a violent crime incarcerated until the authorities are happy that they're no longer a threat to the public.

That position is one that would increase time behind bars for violent offenders and terrorists, not shorten it.

Caporegime

In the face of a breakdown in the system and Corbyn still thinks the system is working fine :rolleyes:

He's literally describing how the system is now. Hardly anyone completes a full sentence.

Its not how the system is now,. He was released with no assessment,.

Back
Top Bottom