LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Some quick pics before i fall asleep. Will give my initial thoughts tomorrow, so far 10/10

Congrats mate, looks class. Looking forward to reading your review. Starting to wonder if I should order this from Denmark as no signs of any availability in the UK.

Associate
So here are my observations/thoughts:

- The monitor's bright and very colorful out of the box. The brightness is set to 75% by default and contrast to 70%.
- I can confirm that you can run the monitor at 160Hz at 8-bit with full RGB and the option to set it to 160Hz is there once you enable OC in the monitor settings.
- The OSD is very easy to navigate. The only thing I disliked about it was that it has 3 Gamma "modes" and it does not state the gamma number and also the color temperature has "Custom", "Warm", "Medium" and "Cool" and also no way to check the exact color temperature reading.
- Chroma subsampling at 175Hz does not affect my ability to read text in windows but you can see some pinkish coloration around text with white/grey background but that's it. It makes 0 difference to text in games as far as I've seen.
- At 175Hz and YCbCr422, you can still enable HDR and 10-bit which is nice imo even if the HDR is kinda useless.
- My unit has very minimal IPS Glow, I can only notice tiny glow at the bottom right corner with a pitch black background and that's at 75% brightness. My preferred brightness is 40% and the glow is basically gone, but that will vary between panels I'm sure.

That's all I can come up with for now. I am very satisfied and It was definitely worth the wait for me. I will be calibrating it with my Spyder and see if it makes any difference. If I discover new things I will let you guys know.

Last edited:
Associate
Congrats mate, looks class. Looking forward to reading your review. Starting to wonder if I should order this from Denmark as no signs of any availability in the UK.
Thanks mate. Yeah it is widely available here in Sweden and also in Denmark so you could try and get one from there.

Associate
So here are my observations/thoughts:

- The monitor's bright and very colorful out of the box. The brightness is set to 75% by default and contrast to 70%.
- I can confirm that you can run the monitor at 160Hz at 8-bit with full RGB and the option to set it to 160Hz is there once you enable OC in the monitor settings.
- The OSD is very easy to navigate. The only thing I disliked about it was that it has 3 Gamma "modes" and it does not state the gamma number and also the color temperature has "Custom", "Warm", "Medium" and "Cool" and also no way to check the exact color temperature reading.
- If anyone is still wondering, the monitor has NO fan which is great news.
- Chroma subsampling at 175Hz does not affect my ability to read text in windows but you can see some pinkish coloration around text with white/grey background but that's it. It makes 0 difference to text in games as far as I've seen.
- At 175Hz and YCbCr422, you can still enable HDR and 10-bit which is nice imo even if the HDR is kinda useless.
- My unit has very minimal IPS Glow, I can only notice tiny glow at the bottom right corner with a pitch black background and that's at 75% brightness. My preferred brightness is 40% and the glow is basically gone, but that will vary between panels I'm sure.

That's all I can come up with for now. I am very satisfied and It was definitely worth the wait for me. I will be calibrating it with my Spyder and see if it makes any difference. If I discover new things I will let you guys know.

What setup do you have to run this beast of a monitor?

Associate
Update: I made a new observation. The monitor does have a fan but I only heard it once i turned off my PC (which is very quiet at IDLE) and the monitor so I'm not sure if the fan operates while the monitor is on or it kicks off when it's turned off to cool everything down. It was on for about 5 minutes after I turned off my PC then it went silent.

I guess G-Sync v2 gets way too hot without a fan.

Associate
At the moment LG are the only manufacturer with anything like this spec - that and limited availability leaves them able to charge a premium.

If there's sufficient production of the panel I imagine Dell will produce something for their Alienware line-up which will help bring down prices.

Permabanned
Update: I made a new observation. The monitor does have a fan but I only heard it once i turned off my PC (which is very quiet at IDLE) and the monitor so I'm not sure if the fan operates while the monitor is on or it kicks off when it's turned off to cool everything down. It was on for about 5 minutes after I turned off my PC then it went silent.

I guess G-Sync v2 gets way too hot without a fan.
I will wait for the freesync version or go with cg437kp

Permabanned
Can't be long now surely, my money has burnt through my pocket and I'm on 3rd degree burns at this point
put another grand and get the AW5520QF its 2999 $ its a dream monitor 4k 120hz, OLED 0.5ms pixel response time, but i'd only buy one if it were 500$ considering it would last me 1-2 years and idk who plans to change monitors like video cards.

Associate
put another grand and get the AW5520QF its 2999 $ its a dream monitor 4k 120hz, OLED 0.5ms pixel response time, but i'd only buy one if it were 500$ considering it would last me 1-2 years and idk who plans to change monitors like video cards.

Why would you possibly want that if there is cheaper G-Sync compatible LG C9 with HDMI 2.1 and some HDR capabilities as well?

Back
Top Bottom